Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Bought a USB joypad at a garage sale

Bought a new Saitek P880 joypad at a garage sale ($2).

Looks like this

http://ef.algebra.com/e/220652673897

Ordinarily it would not be metalworking related, but I will put it on
my Bridgeport mill.

This guy here posted his configs using the same Saitek joypad on his mill:

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?...ds_With_E MC2

I also removed and threw out a lot of unused wiring from the mill, it
makes the cabinet look a little more user friendly inside. Still some
left, going from pendant to the cabinet.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 16:47:35 -0500, Ignoramus30661
wrote:

Bought a new Saitek P880 joypad at a garage sale ($2).

Looks like this

http://ef.algebra.com/e/220652673897

Ordinarily it would not be metalworking related, but I will put it on
my Bridgeport mill.

This guy here posted his configs using the same Saitek joypad on his mill:

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?...ds_With_E MC2

I also removed and threw out a lot of unused wiring from the mill, it
makes the cabinet look a little more user friendly inside. Still some
left, going from pendant to the cabinet.

Trackballs work very very well as a jog controller. Just a heads up....

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A joyous occasion (was: Bought a USB joypad at a garage sale)

On 2010-08-15, Gunner Asch wrote:
wrote:
Bought a new Saitek P880 joypad at a garage sale ($2).
Looks like this
http://ef.algebra.com/e/220652673897

Trackballs work very very well as a jog controller. Just a heads up....

I am overjoyed to report, that this joypad is working really well,
after some bumbling and stupid mistakes due to not following manuals.

This is much better than just a trackpad. I control X, Y and Z. I also
have about 8 buttons that I can program to do whatever I want.

Right now I have two buttons for SPINDLE START and SPINDLE STOP
working. In addition, I have a CYCLE PAUSE and CYCLE RESUME buttons
already working.

This is really, really tremendous and amazing what I get for $2 on a
nice Saturday of August. Just $2 and three hours of typing stuff and I
have a nice milling control pad. These devices cost about $10
everywhere else, which is negligible for the value that they bring.

ALL HAIL EMC2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-15, Gunner Asch wrote:
wrote:
Bought a new Saitek P880 joypad at a garage sale ($2).
Looks like this
http://ef.algebra.com/e/220652673897

Trackballs work very very well as a jog controller. Just a heads up....

I am overjoyed to report, that this joypad is working really well,
after some bumbling and stupid mistakes due to not following manuals.

This is much better than just a trackpad. I control X, Y and Z. I also
have about 8 buttons that I can program to do whatever I want.

Right now I have two buttons for SPINDLE START and SPINDLE STOP
working. In addition, I have a CYCLE PAUSE and CYCLE RESUME buttons
already working.

By the way, I wanted to add CYCLE START, but I changed my mind.

I think that it is too dangerous due to joypad's nature.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 23:45:38 -0500, Ignoramus30661
wrote:

snip

This is really, really tremendous and amazing what I get for $2 on a
nice Saturday of August. Just $2 and three hours of typing stuff and I
have a nice milling control pad. These devices cost about $10
everywhere else, which is negligible for the value that they bring.

ALL HAIL EMC2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

=========
You seem to be making good progress. Nice find on the
trackball.

Some quick questions for both you and the group -- have you
used the blackplot/simulator function in EMC2 yet? Will this
run "stand alone, i.e. no machine/controller card/hardware
attached? By any chance have you tried the
http://www.cncsimulator.com/ simulator? Any feeling how
these compare? When I retired I lost my access to a cnc
machine, but still get the urge to program from time to
time, and simulators are the next best thing. I currently
use cncsimulator and for a free program this works well.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-15, F George McDuffee wrote:
On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 23:45:38 -0500, Ignoramus30661
wrote:

snip

This is really, really tremendous and amazing what I get for $2 on a
nice Saturday of August. Just $2 and three hours of typing stuff and I
have a nice milling control pad. These devices cost about $10
everywhere else, which is negligible for the value that they bring.

ALL HAIL EMC2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

=========
You seem to be making good progress. Nice find on the
trackball.

Yes, the price is not really a big deal here, what is so nice is the
value that this joypad brings.

Some quick questions for both you and the group -- have you
used the blackplot/simulator function in EMC2 yet?

You mean, EMC's drawnig of the G-code toolpath? Yes, I use it all the
time.

Will this run "stand alone, i.e. no machine/controller card/hardware
attached?

If you run ubuntu 10.04, then all you need to type to install this is

GET http://www.linuxcnc.org/lucid/emc2-install-sim.sh | bash

It will install a simulation version of EMC2.

By any chance have you tried the http://www.cncsimulator.com/
simulator?

I have not tried it, I do not have a suitable Windows computer.

Any feeling how these compare? When I retired I lost my access to a
cnc machine, but still get the urge to program from time to time,
and simulators are the next best thing. I currently use cncsimulator
and for a free program this works well.

I do not know if it will work for me, as I know write big (for me)
G-code subroutines and I am not sure if this simulator can handle
that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 00:54:18 -0500, Ignoramus30661

On 2010-08-15, F George McDuffee wrote:
On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 23:45:38 -0500, Ignoramus30661
wrote:

snip

[...]

==========
Thanks for the feedback. I just downloaded the EMC2/Ubuntu
BDI install.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

You can set up regular Ubuntu 10.04 32 bit and install EMC2 on top of it

\i

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Here are the instructions "for dummies" on how to install this joypad
with EMC.

If I had this instruction when I started, it would take me much faster
to set it up.

http://igor.chudov.com/projects/Brid...pad-with-EMC2/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus30661 wrote:
Bought a new Saitek P880 joypad at a garage sale ($2).

snip

Hi:
You may want to check out:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate

It's a nice optical encoder to USB device.

Also look at http:freshmeat.net/projects/evrouter
for Linux support.

I've been using one, for about 4 years, and no ploblems.
The driver module is "powermate.ko"

--
Gary A. Gorgen | "From ideas to PRODUCTS"
| Tunxis Design Inc.
| Cupertino, Ca. 95014

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-15, Gary A. Gorgen wrote:
Ignoramus30661 wrote:
Bought a new Saitek P880 joypad at a garage sale ($2).

snip

Hi:
You may want to check out:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/powermate

It's a nice optical encoder to USB device.

Also look at http:freshmeat.net/projects/evrouter
for Linux support.

I've been using one, for about 4 years, and no ploblems.
The driver module is "powermate.ko"

Interesting. With X, Y and Z, spindle on and off, and feed
hold/resume, this joypad pretty much does what I want. I am already
happy. If I add a 4th axis, I will add functions to jog the rotary
table too.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus30661" wrote in message
Bought a new Saitek P880 joypad at a garage sale ($2).

Looks like this

http://ef.algebra.com/e/220652673897

Ordinarily it would not be metalworking related, but I will put it on
my Bridgeport mill.

This guy here posted his configs using the same Saitek joypad on his mill:

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?...ds_With_E MC2

I also removed and threw out a lot of unused wiring from the mill, it
makes the cabinet look a little more user friendly inside. Still some
left, going from pendant to the cabinet.

Here's another type of jogging pad that you might want to consider:

http://www.tormach.com/document_libr...Controller.pdf

It's based on a standard game pad controller, but has been marked by Tormach
for the axis and step functions. In Tormach's implementation for a Mach3
controller, clicking on one of the axis keys selects that axis. Rotating
the outer ring moves the axis continuously in the + or - direction with the
jog speed increasing the more the ring is rotated. The ring is spring
loaded so it snaps back to position once relased. The inner disk with the
finger depression moves the axis in increments of 0.0001" to 0.1". The Step
keys toggles up and down the range of increments. It works pretty slick on
my Tormach. You can probably find the generic OEM version cheaper, but I
like having the functions labeled.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-15, Mike Henry wrote:

[...]

I like being able to move my mill around, using two mini joysticks
that I can move with my thumbs. Left moves Z, right moves X and Y. It
is like playing a computer game. Very easy and to the point. I can
move in 3D without switching axes. Altogether, I think that it is more
convenient than this Tormach joystick, though it is a nice one. Plus I
have pause and resume buttons. Feel free to stop by and see how it
works.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus7071 wrote:

Interesting. With X, Y and Z, spindle on and off, and feed
hold/resume, this joypad pretty much does what I want. I am already
happy. If I add a 4th axis, I will add functions to jog the rotary
table too.

Be careful with that spindle on button. Consider the situation where you are doing a tool
change and the spindle starts due to the joy stick falling, something falling on the
joystick, or hardware malfunction.

The machines I deal with are enclosed with a door interlock system, your machine is open.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus7071 fired this volley in
:

If I had this instruction when I started, it would take me much faster
to set it up.

Thanks, Ig. I'm following your every move. Good stuff.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus30661 wrote:

ALL HAIL EMC2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

All hail inexpensive PC based CNC control!!!

EMC2 and Mach3 are both derived from the original EMC and both have
about the same capabilities, just running on different OSes. There are a
few others out there, but they are fading away a bit due to EMC2 and
Mach3.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

Ignoramus7071 wrote:

Interesting. With X, Y and Z, spindle on and off, and feed
hold/resume, this joypad pretty much does what I want. I am already
happy. If I add a 4th axis, I will add functions to jog the rotary
table too.

Be careful with that spindle on button. Consider the situation where you are doing a tool
change and the spindle starts due to the joy stick falling, something falling on the
joystick, or hardware malfunction.

The machines I deal with are enclosed with a door interlock system, your machine is open.

Yes, the cat or the kid pressing the button which you're wrenching the
QC lock wouldn't be good. I'd suggest that spindle start and stop should
be done with "hard" buttons mounted to the panel under the monitor, and
preferably the buttons with the raised collar around them so they are
bump resistant.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-15, Wes wrote:
Ignoramus7071 wrote:

Interesting. With X, Y and Z, spindle on and off, and feed
hold/resume, this joypad pretty much does what I want. I am already
happy. If I add a 4th axis, I will add functions to jog the rotary
table too.

Be careful with that spindle on button. Consider the situation
where you are doing a tool change and the spindle starts due to the
joy stick falling, something falling on the joystick, or hardware
malfunction.

Wes, I agree 100% and I will disable spindle on.

The machines I deal with are enclosed with a door interlock system, your machine is open.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-15, Mike Henry wrote:

[...]

Take a look at the X-Keys products, there are some nice programmable and
importantly *labelable* keypads with job/shuttle wheels and joysticks
available for reasonable prices. If it isn't obvious in the pictures,
the clear keycaps pop off and you can print nice labels to place under
them for a very custom appearance.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
Wes wrote:

Ignoramus7071 wrote:

Interesting. With X, Y and Z, spindle on and off, and feed
hold/resume, this joypad pretty much does what I want. I am already
happy. If I add a 4th axis, I will add functions to jog the rotary
table too.

Be careful with that spindle on button. Consider the situation where you are doing a tool
change and the spindle starts due to the joy stick falling, something falling on the
joystick, or hardware malfunction.

The machines I deal with are enclosed with a door interlock system, your machine is open.

Yes, the cat or the kid pressing the button which you're wrenching the
QC lock wouldn't be good. I'd suggest that spindle start and stop should
be done with "hard" buttons mounted to the panel under the monitor, and
preferably the buttons with the raised collar around them so they are
bump resistant.

I'm following Iggys input with interest as I'm a bit behind him in
refitting a smaller stepper driven mill with EMC2. I like the idea of
the game controller and in the case of my mill it has a full rising
front shroud with safety interlock which will be kept and that'll be
linked in with the estop to prevent such issues with the motor or
anything else being inadvertently started when the shroud is raised.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 18:07:03 -0500, "Pete C."
wrote:

Wes wrote:

Ignoramus7071 wrote:

Interesting. With X, Y and Z, spindle on and off, and feed
hold/resume, this joypad pretty much does what I want. I am already
happy. If I add a 4th axis, I will add functions to jog the rotary
table too.

Be careful with that spindle on button. Consider the situation where you are doing a tool
change and the spindle starts due to the joy stick falling, something falling on the
joystick, or hardware malfunction.

The machines I deal with are enclosed with a door interlock system, your machine is open.

Yes, the cat or the kid pressing the button which you're wrenching the
QC lock wouldn't be good. I'd suggest that spindle start and stop should
be done with "hard" buttons mounted to the panel under the monitor, and
preferably the buttons with the raised collar around them so they are
bump resistant.

Indeed. All it takes is one "Oh ****" to make a fun project a
nightmare.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Wes wrote:

Ignoramus7071 wrote:

[...]

I just disabled spindle start on joystick, it was a dumb idea.

Gunner

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-15, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus30661 wrote:

ALL HAIL EMC2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

All hail inexpensive PC based CNC control!!!

EMC2 and Mach3 are both derived from the original EMC and both have
about the same capabilities, just running on different OSes. There are a
few others out there, but they are fading away a bit due to EMC2 and
Mach3.

But only EMC2 is free as in freedom.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-15, Lloyd E. Sponenburgh lloydspinsidemindspring.com wrote:
Ignoramus7071 fired this volley in
:

If I had this instruction when I started, it would take me much faster
to set it up.

Thanks, Ig. I'm following your every move. Good stuff.

Lloyd, it is amazing what one can do with EMC2. To say that I am
happy, would be to say nothing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-15, Mike Henry wrote:

[...]

Pete, I think thAT i AM PRETTY good with the joystick and keyboard. I
jjst need to figure out where to put that joystick so that it is safe
to use. As I said, I already disabled Spindle On.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Wes wrote:

Ignoramus7071 wrote:

[...]

It was hardly a dumb idea..but having some interlocks and safeties in
place sure makes a hell of a lot more sense.

Thats why firearms have either safeties, or heavy double action
triggers.

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Wes wrote:

Ignoramus7071 wrote:

[...]

As a second thought, I replaced spindle on and off on the joystick,
with flood on and off. Could be useful to adjust the nozzle, and worst
case, I or someone else gets sprayed a little bit.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-15, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus30661 wrote:

ALL HAIL EMC2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

All hail inexpensive PC based CNC control!!!

EMC2 and Mach3 are both derived from the original EMC and both have
about the same capabilities, just running on different OSes. There are a
few others out there, but they are fading away a bit due to EMC2 and
Mach3.

But only EMC2 is free as in freedom.

I'm sorry to say that you are incorrect there. Beyond the silly idea of
trying to equate the use of a programmer or programmers labor products
without payment with "freedom", it isn't true in this case either since
the core EMC software that EMC2 is based on was developed by NIST, a
government institution funded by our tax dollars, so you did indeed pay
for EMC/EMC2, just not directly.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default A joyous occasion

Got a backup in the desk drawer yet? - getting used to all of the neat
controls.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 8/15/2010 12:49 AM, F. George McDuffee wrote:
On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 23:45:38 -0500, Ignoramus30661
wrote:

snip

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Wes wrote:

Ignoramus7071 wrote:

[...]

Thats a pretty good idea.

And you can use it to wash down the parts and area.

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-16, Gunner Asch wrote:
wrote:
As a second thought, I replaced spindle on and off on the joystick,
with flood on and off. Could be useful to adjust the nozzle, and worst
case, I or someone else gets sprayed a little bit.

Thats a pretty good idea.
And you can use it to wash down the parts and area.

Yep. I used the mill quite a bit today, learning how to write text
with it. I used Chris Radek's Truetype Tracer, and it works great, any
message in any TrueType font can be written beautifully with a pointy
endmill. This also includes filling in the letters.

Having the joystick to position the mill, and to pause/resume the
interpreter, was really indispensable. I am not even sure if I should
bother with the original jog controls. This joystick seems to be more
ergonomic. With the thumb control, I can move fast or slow.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-15, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus30661 wrote:

ALL HAIL EMC2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

All hail inexpensive PC based CNC control!!!

EMC2 and Mach3 are both derived from the original EMC and both have
about the same capabilities, just running on different OSes. There are a
few others out there, but they are fading away a bit due to EMC2 and
Mach3.

But only EMC2 is free as in freedom.

I'm sorry to say that you are incorrect there. Beyond the silly idea of
trying to equate the use of a programmer or programmers labor products
without payment with "freedom", it isn't true in this case either since
the core EMC software that EMC2 is based on was developed by NIST, a
government institution funded by our tax dollars, so you did indeed pay
for EMC/EMC2, just not directly.

Pete, there are two meanings to the word free, one is free as in free
beer, and another is free as in freedom. The latter sense means that I
can see, modify, and redistribute the source code on original
terms. This is what EMC is, free as in freedom, with me being free to
modify it or give it to friends.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 23:47:58 -0500, Ignoramus7071

On 2010-08-16, Gunner Asch wrote:
wrote:
As a second thought, I replaced spindle on and off on the joystick,
with flood on and off. Could be useful to adjust the nozzle, and worst
case, I or someone else gets sprayed a little bit.

Thats a pretty good idea.
And you can use it to wash down the parts and area.

Yep. I used the mill quite a bit today, learning how to write text
with it. I used Chris Radek's Truetype Tracer, and it works great, any
message in any TrueType font can be written beautifully with a pointy
endmill. This also includes filling in the letters.

Having the joystick to position the mill, and to pause/resume the
interpreter, was really indispensable. I am not even sure if I should
bother with the original jog controls. This joystick seems to be more
ergonomic. With the thumb control, I can move fast or slow.

If you are going to do much text..pick up some of the Gorton Pantograph
cutters from Ebay.

Btw....for anyone who needs one..this is a SMOKING deal....

http://cgi.ebay.com/GORTON-ENGRAVING...-/130421436675

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-16, Gunner Asch wrote:
wrote:
[...]

I can do the same thing with the CNC bridgeport, no?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 00:54:18 -0500, Ignoramus30661
wrote:
snip
If you run ubuntu 10.04, then all you need to type to install this is

GET http://www.linuxcnc.org/lucid/emc2-install-sim.sh | bash

It will install a simulation version of EMC2.

snip
Thanks for the motivation to upgrade to Lucid Lynx.

I have been running a very old version of Ubuntu because
every time I upgraded my O/S something stopped working. I
installed Lucid Lynx on another drive "just in case." The
installation went perfect as did the update
downloads/installs, and everything still seems to work
including the scanner and webcam.

Had a bit of trouble getting the EMC2 simulator to download,
but went directly to the linuxcnc site and examined the
Lucid directory. 2 "ls" in install and everything went
well.

I am currently programming the cribbage board shown in Smid
on the CD with the 2nd edition. There is a large [huge?]
number of holes [366] required for the pegs, and your
comments on programming motivated me to see what I could do
to automate some of the cnc program writing. I was
successful. If you will send me a valid email address I'll
send what I have gotten so far as a zipped email attachment
[holes spot drilled/chamfered, and drilled] along with the
source and executables to extract/format the data.
CNCSimulator has a fair cnc editor with [re]number, but it
does not like sub programs.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-15, Pete C. wrote:

Ignoramus30661 wrote:

[...]

Mach3 also has the flexibility to allow you to modify it such as custom
screens, G/M codes, scripting for special functions such as ATC control
etc. You also have the "freedom" to redistribute those custom portions
you develop, either "free" or commercially to other Mach3 users, the
other users just need their own inexpensive base Mach3 license.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-16, Gunner Asch wrote:
wrote:
[...]

Yes..you can. But others cannot. And it comes with 2 pantographs..good
ones..AND the Gorton tool and cutter grinder, which usually goes for
between $700-$1200 on ebay. Along with a ****load of Stuff.

"A conservative who doesn't believe? in God simply doesn't pray;
a godless liberal wants no one to pray. A conservative who doesn't
like guns doesn't buy one; a liberal gun-hater wants to disarm us all.
A gay conservative has sex his own way; a gay liberal requires us all
to watch and accept his perversion and have it taught to children.
A conservative who is offended by a radio show changes the station;
an offended liberal wants it banned, prosecuted and persecuted."
Bobby XD9
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-16, Gunner Asch wrote:

Yes..you can. But others cannot. And it comes with 2 pantographs..good
ones..AND the Gorton tool and cutter grinder, which usually goes for
between $700-$1200 on ebay. Along with a ****load of Stuff.

By the way Gunner, I was thinking of sharpening end mills at home,
what sort of machine would you recommend for this?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-16, F George McDuffee wrote:
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 00:54:18 -0500, Ignoramus30661
wrote:
snip
If you run ubuntu 10.04, then all you need to type to install this is

GET http://www.linuxcnc.org/lucid/emc2-install-sim.sh | bash

It will install a simulation version of EMC2.

snip
Thanks for the motivation to upgrade to Lucid Lynx.

I have been running a very old version of Ubuntu because every time
I upgraded my O/S something stopped working. I installed Lucid Lynx
on another drive "just in case." The installation went perfect as
did the update downloads/installs, and everything still seems to
work including the scanner and webcam.

Lucid is pretty good, as Ubuntu releases go, it is very nicely done.

Had a bit of trouble getting the EMC2 simulator to download, but
went directly to the linuxcnc site and examined the Lucid directory.
2 "ls" in install and everything went well.

I highly recommend, if possible, to use their repository, that way you
get automatic updates.

I am currently programming the cribbage board shown in Smid on the
CD with the 2nd edition. There is a large [huge?] number of holes
[366] required for the pegs, and your comments on programming
motivated me to see what I could do to automate some of the cnc
program writing. I was successful. If you will send me a valid
email address I'll send what I have gotten so far as a zipped email
attachment [holes spot drilled/chamfered, and drilled] along with
the source and executables to extract/format the data. CNCSimulator
has a fair cnc editor with [re]number, but it does not like sub
programs.

No better use for CNC than to drill 366 holes.

ichudov AT algebra DOT com, but sending zips is a tossup due to spam
software. If you send me a zip, follow up with a plain text email
saying that you sent me a zip, I will look for it in spam folders
too.

EMC2 has canned cycles for drilling, drilling with dwell etc.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2010-08-16, Gunner Asch wrote:

Yes..you can. But others cannot. And it comes with 2 pantographs..good
ones..AND the Gorton tool and cutter grinder, which usually goes for
between $700-$1200 on ebay. Along with a ****load of Stuff.

By the way Gunner, I was thinking of sharpening end mills at home,
what sort of machine would you recommend for this?

Just remember that when you sharpen your end mill you'll change the
diameter, so you need to accurately measure it and mark the new size on
it so you enter the correct diameter for cutter compensation.