Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus28874 Ignoramus28874 is offline

Default A joyous occasion (was: Bought a USB joypad at a garage sale)

On 2010-08-16, F George McDuffee wrote:
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 00:54:18 -0500, Ignoramus30661
wrote:
snip
If you run ubuntu 10.04, then all you need to type to install this is

GET http://www.linuxcnc.org/lucid/emc2-install-sim.sh | bash

It will install a simulation version of EMC2.

snip
Thanks for the motivation to upgrade to Lucid Lynx.

I have been running a very old version of Ubuntu because every time
I upgraded my O/S something stopped working. I installed Lucid Lynx
on another drive "just in case." The installation went perfect as
did the update downloads/installs, and everything still seems to
work including the scanner and webcam.

Lucid is pretty good, as Ubuntu releases go, it is very nicely done.

Had a bit of trouble getting the EMC2 simulator to download, but
went directly to the linuxcnc site and examined the Lucid directory.
2 "ls" in install and everything went well.

I highly recommend, if possible, to use their repository, that way you
get automatic updates.

I am currently programming the cribbage board shown in Smid on the
CD with the 2nd edition. There is a large [huge?] number of holes
[366] required for the pegs, and your comments on programming
motivated me to see what I could do to automate some of the cnc
program writing. I was successful. If you will send me a valid
email address I'll send what I have gotten so far as a zipped email
attachment [holes spot drilled/chamfered, and drilled] along with
the source and executables to extract/format the data. CNCSimulator
has a fair cnc editor with [re]number, but it does not like sub
programs.

No better use for CNC than to drill 366 holes.

ichudov AT algebra DOT com, but sending zips is a tossup due to spam
software. If you send me a zip, follow up with a plain text email
saying that you sent me a zip, I will look for it in spam folders
too.

EMC2 has canned cycles for drilling, drilling with dwell etc.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).