Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus7071 Ignoramus7071 is offline

Default A joyous occasion (was: Bought a USB joypad at a garage sale)

You can set up regular Ubuntu 10.04 32 bit and install EMC2 on top of it

\i

On 2010-08-15, F George McDuffee wrote:
On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 00:54:18 -0500, Ignoramus30661

On 2010-08-15, F George McDuffee wrote:
On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 23:45:38 -0500, Ignoramus30661
wrote:

snip

This is really, really tremendous and amazing what I get for $2 on a
nice Saturday of August. Just $2 and three hours of typing stuff and I
have a nice milling control pad. These devices cost about $10
everywhere else, which is negligible for the value that they bring.

ALL HAIL EMC2!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!11

=========
You seem to be making good progress. Nice find on the
trackball.

Yes, the price is not really a big deal here, what is so nice is the
value that this joypad brings.

Some quick questions for both you and the group -- have you
used the blackplot/simulator function in EMC2 yet?

You mean, EMC's drawnig of the G-code toolpath? Yes, I use it all the
time.

Will this run "stand alone, i.e. no machine/controller card/hardware
attached?

If you run ubuntu 10.04, then all you need to type to install this is

GET http://www.linuxcnc.org/lucid/emc2-install-sim.sh | bash

It will install a simulation version of EMC2.

By any chance have you tried the http://www.cncsimulator.com/
simulator?

I have not tried it, I do not have a suitable Windows computer.

Any feeling how these compare? When I retired I lost my access to a
cnc machine, but still get the urge to program from time to time,
and simulators are the next best thing. I currently use cncsimulator
and for a free program this works well.

I do not know if it will work for me, as I know write big (for me)
G-code subroutines and I am not sure if this simulator can handle
that.

Thanks for the feedback. I just downloaded the EMC2/Ubuntu
BDI install.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).