Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ignoramus7071 Ignoramus7071 is offline

Default Bought a USB joypad at a garage sale

On 2010-08-15, Mike Henry wrote:

"Ignoramus30661" wrote in message
Bought a new Saitek P880 joypad at a garage sale ($2).

Looks like this

http://ef.algebra.com/e/220652673897

Ordinarily it would not be metalworking related, but I will put it on
my Bridgeport mill.

This guy here posted his configs using the same Saitek joypad on his mill:

http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/emcinfo.pl?...ds_With_E MC2

I also removed and threw out a lot of unused wiring from the mill, it
makes the cabinet look a little more user friendly inside. Still some
left, going from pendant to the cabinet.

Here's another type of jogging pad that you might want to consider:

http://www.tormach.com/document_libr...Controller.pdf

It's based on a standard game pad controller, but has been marked by Tormach
for the axis and step functions. In Tormach's implementation for a Mach3
controller, clicking on one of the axis keys selects that axis. Rotating
the outer ring moves the axis continuously in the + or - direction with the
jog speed increasing the more the ring is rotated. The ring is spring
loaded so it snaps back to position once relased. The inner disk with the
finger depression moves the axis in increments of 0.0001" to 0.1". The Step
keys toggles up and down the range of increments. It works pretty slick on
my Tormach. You can probably find the generic OEM version cheaper, but I
like having the functions labeled.

I like being able to move my mill around, using two mini joysticks
that I can move with my thumbs. Left moves Z, right moves X and Y. It
is like playing a computer game. Very easy and to the point. I can
move in 3D without switching axes. Altogether, I think that it is more
convenient than this Tormach joystick, though it is a nice one. Plus I
have pause and resume buttons. Feel free to stop by and see how it
works.

Take a look at the X-Keys products, there are some nice programmable and
importantly *labelable* keypads with job/shuttle wheels and joysticks
available for reasonable prices. If it isn't obvious in the pictures,
the clear keycaps pop off and you can print nice labels to place under
them for a very custom appearance.

Pete, I think thAT i AM PRETTY good with the joystick and keyboard. I
jjst need to figure out where to put that joystick so that it is safe
to use. As I said, I already disabled Spindle On.