Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee F. George McDuffee is offline

Default A joyous occasion (was: Bought a USB joypad at a garage sale)

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 00:54:18 -0500, Ignoramus30661
wrote:
snip
If you run ubuntu 10.04, then all you need to type to install this is

GET http://www.linuxcnc.org/lucid/emc2-install-sim.sh | bash

It will install a simulation version of EMC2.

snip
Thanks for the motivation to upgrade to Lucid Lynx.

I have been running a very old version of Ubuntu because
every time I upgraded my O/S something stopped working. I
installed Lucid Lynx on another drive "just in case." The
installation went perfect as did the update
downloads/installs, and everything still seems to work
including the scanner and webcam.

Had a bit of trouble getting the EMC2 simulator to download,
but went directly to the linuxcnc site and examined the
Lucid directory. 2 "ls" in install and everything went
well.

I am currently programming the cribbage board shown in Smid
on the CD with the 2nd edition. There is a large [huge?]
number of holes [366] required for the pegs, and your
comments on programming motivated me to see what I could do
to automate some of the cnc program writing. I was
successful. If you will send me a valid email address I'll
send what I have gotten so far as a zipped email attachment
[holes spot drilled/chamfered, and drilled] along with the
source and executables to extract/format the data.
CNCSimulator has a fair cnc editor with [re]number, but it
does not like sub programs.

-- Unka George (George McDuffee)
The past is a foreign country;
they do things differently there.
L. P. Hartley (1895-1972), British author.
The Go-Between, Prologue (1953).