Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Plasma cutter for cast iron?

Habitat has a HUGE steam heat boiler that needs to be cut into smaller
pieces. A gas torch is out - the manager is a cautious one. Is there
anything different about using a plasma cutter on cast iron? I wouldn't
think so, but I've never done it. I guess that you would get a lot of
soot in the cloud of vaporized iron.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message
Habitat has a HUGE steam heat boiler that needs to be cut into smaller
pieces. A gas torch is out - the manager is a cautious one. Is there
anything different about using a plasma cutter on cast iron? I wouldn't
think so, but I've never done it. I guess that you would get a lot of
soot in the cloud of vaporized iron.

Sounds like a job for a HUGE sledge hammer, some safety gear and lots, lots
and more lots of hearing protection.

Regards,
Joe Agro, Jr.
(800) 871-5022
01.908.542.0244
Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com/
Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com
TWITTER: http://twitter.com/AutoDrill
FACEBOOK: http://tinyurl.com/AutoDrill-Facebook

V8013-R

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

A plasma cutter would work great for this application.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I guess that you would get a lot of
soot in the cloud of vaporized iron.

I'm guessing not. The amount of carbon is still small enough that, when
heated to that temperature, it would likely combine with atmospheric oxygen
just about a quickly as it came into contact with the air.

You might also get some carbides as products of heating the metal and
carbon that hot.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 21, 9:35*am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Habitat has a HUGE steam heat boiler that needs to be cut into smaller
pieces. *A gas torch is out - the manager is a cautious one. *Is there
anything different about using a plasma cutter on cast iron? *I wouldn't
think so, but I've never done it. *I guess that you would get a lot of
soot in the cloud of vaporized iron.

Bob

Sure the boiler is cast? All I've ever seen have been riveted iron or
steel sheet, for which a plasma cutter(or cutting torch) would be
ideal. A 10 lb sledge works wonders on cast fittings and radiators,
though(bathtubs, too). Not sure why a cutting torch would be less
safe than a plasma cutter, you've still got very hot particles flying
around, the fire hazard is going to be about the same. You're going
to have to have a hefty power supply for a plasma cutter, plus air or
a gas bottle. May have to have a generator if the house supply won't
support it.

Stan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:
I guess that you would get a lot of
soot in the cloud of vaporized iron.

I'm guessing not. The amount of carbon is still small enough that, when
heated to that temperature, it would likely combine with atmospheric oxygen
just about a quickly as it came into contact with the air.

Yeah, yeah ... CO2, hopefully not CO. Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Joe AutoDrill wrote:
Sounds like a job for a HUGE sledge hammer, some safety gear and lots, lots
and more lots of hearing protection.

Cast iron is brittle compared to steel, but is still amazing strong. I
broke up a bathtub once and even with large planar surfaces it was
tough. The boiler is a series of box sections and will be that much
stronger. Like the radiators we've done & don't want to repeat.

If the plasma cutter is out, I will score it with a cutoff wheel in an
angle grinder & jump on it. The pieces are 4 - 5' wide & SHOULD break
where scored.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I assume that this is a steam heating boiler.

They are usually assembled from a series of flat cast iron sections held
together by stay bolts.

Disjoint the connections to the pipes. Use your plasma to cut as much
sheetmetal away as you can. Then cut the heads off the stay bolts and any
mounting bolts and ring the sections with the sledge hammer. They will
probably pop apart.

Paul K. Dickman

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message

Sure the boiler is cast? ...

Oh, yes.

A 10 lb sledge works wonders on cast fittings and radiators,
though(bathtubs, too).

I'm tempted to try (I have a 12 pounder), but I expect that it will be
much more work. Not to mention the little fragments that are wannabe
shrapnel.

Not sure why a cutting torch would be less
safe than a plasma cutter, you've still got very hot particles flying
around, the fire hazard is going to be about the same.

I think it's more the gas itself that he doesn't want around. If it were
up to me, we would use a gas torch.

You're going
to have to have a hefty power supply for a plasma cutter, plus air or
a gas bottle. ...

We still have the electric service, and compressors.

Thanks,
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:35:17 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Habitat has a HUGE steam heat boiler that needs to be cut into smaller
pieces. A gas torch is out - the manager is a cautious one. Is there
anything different about using a plasma cutter on cast iron? I wouldn't
think so, but I've never done it. I guess that you would get a lot of
soot in the cloud of vaporized iron.

Bob

All you need is power, the cutter and a decent air compressor to keep up
with the cutting. That and some asbestos blankets to cover stuff to
keep the chance of fire down.

Surprisingly..there is very little "smoke" generated, unless the cut is
through oil/garbage.

Anyone want a plasma cutter good for 1/8" only?
Cebora Pocket 25.
$350 come and get it. Or trade for? Guns are good.. G

Gunner, with Miller 2050

Gunner Asch
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Is there
anything different about using a plasma cutter on cast iron?

I could be wrong, but I'm told that you can't do a good job of cutting
CI with a normal gas torch, but you can with a plasma cutter?

Jordan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul K. Dickman wrote:
I assume that this is a steam heating boiler.

They are usually assembled from a series of flat cast iron sections held
together by stay bolts.

I didn't tell the whole story: the boiler's already been disassembled by
the asbestos removal people and it's the sections that need to be broken
up. They're 4 - 5' wide & about 300 - 400 lbs each (I said it was a
HUGE boiler).

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 21, 5:17*pm, Jordan wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:
*Is there
anything different about using a plasma cutter on cast iron?

I could be wrong, but I'm told that you can't do a good job of cutting
CI with a normal gas torch, but you can with a plasma cutter?

Jordan

A regular oxy/ace torch doesn't work on cast iron like it does on
steel. Last time I tried it--which was a long time ago--I don't
think it even worked. The hammer is the way to go. And don't forget
about the possibility of asbestos.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul K. Dickman wrote:
I assume that this is a steam heating boiler.

They are usually assembled from a series of flat cast iron sections held
together by stay bolts.

I didn't tell the whole story: the boiler's already been disassembled by
the asbestos removal people and it's the sections that need to be broken
up. They're 4 - 5' wide & about 300 - 400 lbs each (I said it was a HUGE
boiler).

Bob

That is a Man Sized boiler! Must have gone +2 million BTU.
I tended a big one like that back in college. It heated an entire grade
school.

Paul K. Dickman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

wrote:

Sure the boiler is cast? ...

Oh, yes.

A 10 lb sledge works wonders on cast fittings and radiators,
though(bathtubs, too).

I'm tempted to try (I have a 12 pounder), but I expect that it will be
much more work. Not to mention the little fragments that are wannabe
shrapnel.

Not sure why a cutting torch would be less
safe than a plasma cutter, you've still got very hot particles flying
around, the fire hazard is going to be about the same.

I think it's more the gas itself that he doesn't want around. If it
were up to me, we would use a gas torch.

You're going
to have to have a hefty power supply for a plasma cutter, plus air or
a gas bottle. ...

We still have the electric service, and compressors.

Thanks,
Bob

I'd suggest that the O/A cutting torch is the safer route than plasma
cutting. If you simply use a 100' O/A hose set and the appropriate check
valves and flashback arrestors there should be no risk.

A key item to consider is that the plasma cutter melts and blows away
the metal in tiny particles, while the O/A cutting torch burns the metal
with the extra O2, so the end results and mess are quite a bit
different. I'm not positive, but I think that the plasma would release
more dangerous gasses and vapors vs. the O/A since the O/A would be
oxidizing things more completely. The Plasma also involves relatively
high voltages and significant UV radiation. In either case you need
people stationed on fire watch with extinguishers ready.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul K. Dickman wrote:
That is a Man Sized boiler! Must have gone +2 million BTU.
I tended a big one like that back in college. It heated an entire grade
school.

Almost as big - it's in a 16,000 sq ft convent. No insulation, etc.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Pete C. wrote:
I'd suggest that the O/A cutting torch is the safer route than plasma
cutting. If you simply use a 100' O/A hose set and the appropriate check
valves and flashback arrestors there should be no risk.

100' hose is not an option - it would be a borrowed set with short hoses.

A key item to consider is that the plasma cutter melts and blows away
the metal in tiny particles, ...

I think that it actually vaporizes it - a cloud is produced that
condenses/settles on everything and makes a yellow-ish mess (I use mine
outside). We're gutting the building, so it's a mess anyhow.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I'd say an LOX lance to burn through it.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 7/21/2010 12:01 PM, wrote:
On Jul 21, 9:35 am, Bob wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

One last tip.
If you do use the sledge hammer, direct your blows near the waterline.
The iron is probably rusted halfway through there.

Paul K. Dickman

Paul K. Dickman wrote:
That is a Man Sized boiler! Must have gone +2 million BTU.
I tended a big one like that back in college. It heated an entire grade
school.

Almost as big - it's in a 16,000 sq ft convent. No insulation, etc.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Not sure why a cutting torch would be less
safe than a plasma cutter, you've still got very hot particles flying
around, the fire hazard is going to be about the same.

I think it's more the gas itself that he doesn't want around. If it were
up to me, we would use a gas torch.

I think you'll find that a cutting torch won't work with cast iron anyway.
Maybe you could just heat it as hot as you can and throw some cold water
over it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Paul K. Dickman wrote:
One last tip.
If you do use the sledge hammer, direct your blows near the waterline.
The iron is probably rusted halfway through there.

May be. It's worth a try. Thanks. Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Grumpy wrote:
I think you'll find that a cutting torch won't work with cast iron anyway.

Why not?

Maybe you could just heat it as hot as you can and throw some cold water
over it.

Yeah, maybe. I suspect that it's one of those things that sound good
but don't actually work out all that well. Maybe you'd have to heat so
much of it at once that it wouldn't be practical. I dunno.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Plasma cutter for cast iron? - FOLLOW UP

We tried the sledge hammer route, scoring first with an abrasive blade.
I wasn't surprised when we didn't get very far with too much work.
The sections vary from 5/16 to 9/16 thick, with the occasional rib. At
one spot I gave 4 mighty (!) blows with a 12 lb sledge & it didn't even
crack.

But I did get the OK for the plasma cutter. I brought a couple of
pieces home to try & it cuts pretty much the same as equal thickness of
steel, as you would expect. My cutter is pretty much entry-level, so it
will be pretty slow, but still faster & much easier than the sledge.
With a 20% duty cycle, I figure that I can cut 6-1/2' of 5/16 thick per
hour.

Now I gotta go find a portable compressor, or more, that will keep up
with the torch. Maybe the torch's 20% duty cycle will help.

Bob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Good test. I'd look into renting a larger one if you can.
Consumables will cost you a bundle - get them bought for you.
Remember a dryer to keep the air dry and the consumables last longer.

You want one that cuts 3/4" so it will work easily. They will cut more
with some mess. You are running just over 1/2. So 3/4 to 1" cutting
and a long lead sounds needed.

On 7/24/2010 1:51 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
We tried the sledge hammer route, scoring first with an abrasive blade. I wasn't
surprised when we didn't get very far with too much work. The sections vary from
5/16 to 9/16 thick, with the occasional rib. At one spot I gave 4 mighty (!)
blows with a 12 lb sledge & it didn't even crack.

But I did get the OK for the plasma cutter. I brought a couple of pieces home to
try & it cuts pretty much the same as equal thickness of steel, as you would
expect. My cutter is pretty much entry-level, so it will be pretty slow, but
still faster & much easier than the sledge. With a 20% duty cycle, I figure that
I can cut 6-1/2' of 5/16 thick per hour.

Now I gotta go find a portable compressor, or more, that will keep up with the
torch. Maybe the torch's 20% duty cycle will help.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jul 24, 2:51*pm, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
[...]

I have not read all of the replies, so someone may have already
mentioned arcair.
The arcair torch is relatively cheap, but you also need an air
compressor and a arc welder. You might check if you can rent the
torch from a welding supply. That might be a way you could have
another person working or allow you to use the arcair when you can't
use the plasma cutter because of the duty cycle.

Dan
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
[...]

Also, keep it in mind that the politicians and the insurance
agents
say you are not allowed to smoke cigarettes in that
environment...
heh heh...
phil

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
Good test. I'd look into renting a larger one if you can.
Consumables will cost you a bundle - get them bought for you.
Remember a dryer to keep the air dry and the consumables last longer.

You want one that cuts 3/4" so it will work easily. They will cut more
with some mess. You are running just over 1/2. So 3/4 to 1" cutting
and a long lead sounds needed.

If this were a commercial situation, where time is money, that would be
the approach. With Habitat, the labor is free & the money is short -
that puts an entirely different spin on it G. So, if my 3/8-rated
cutter (1/2 "severance") doesn't do it the alternative is volunteers
with sledge hammers.

Bob