Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Plasma cutter for cast iron?

On Wed, 21 Jul 2010 11:35:17 -0400, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

Habitat has a HUGE steam heat boiler that needs to be cut into smaller
pieces. A gas torch is out - the manager is a cautious one. Is there
anything different about using a plasma cutter on cast iron? I wouldn't
think so, but I've never done it. I guess that you would get a lot of
soot in the cloud of vaporized iron.

Bob

All you need is power, the cutter and a decent air compressor to keep up
with the cutting. That and some asbestos blankets to cover stuff to
keep the chance of fire down.

Surprisingly..there is very little "smoke" generated, unless the cut is
through oil/garbage.

Anyone want a plasma cutter good for 1/8" only?
Cebora Pocket 25.
$350 come and get it. Or trade for? Guns are good.. G

Gunner, with Miller 2050

Gunner Asch