Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Plasma cutter for cast iron? - FOLLOW UP

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
Good test. I'd look into renting a larger one if you can.
Consumables will cost you a bundle - get them bought for you.
Remember a dryer to keep the air dry and the consumables last longer.

You want one that cuts 3/4" so it will work easily. They will cut more
with some mess. You are running just over 1/2. So 3/4 to 1" cutting
and a long lead sounds needed.

If this were a commercial situation, where time is money, that would be
the approach. With Habitat, the labor is free & the money is short -
that puts an entirely different spin on it G. So, if my 3/8-rated
cutter (1/2 "severance") doesn't do it the alternative is volunteers
with sledge hammers.

Bob