Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul K. Dickman Paul K. Dickman is offline

Default Plasma cutter for cast iron?

I assume that this is a steam heating boiler.

They are usually assembled from a series of flat cast iron sections held
together by stay bolts.

Disjoint the connections to the pipes. Use your plasma to cut as much
sheetmetal away as you can. Then cut the heads off the stay bolts and any
mounting bolts and ring the sections with the sledge hammer. They will
probably pop apart.

Paul K. Dickman

"Bob Engelhardt" wrote in message

Sure the boiler is cast? ...

Oh, yes.

A 10 lb sledge works wonders on cast fittings and radiators,
though(bathtubs, too).

I'm tempted to try (I have a 12 pounder), but I expect that it will be
much more work. Not to mention the little fragments that are wannabe
shrapnel.

Not sure why a cutting torch would be less
safe than a plasma cutter, you've still got very hot particles flying
around, the fire hazard is going to be about the same.

I think it's more the gas itself that he doesn't want around. If it were
up to me, we would use a gas torch.

You're going
to have to have a hefty power supply for a plasma cutter, plus air or
a gas bottle. ...

We still have the electric service, and compressors.

Thanks,
Bob