Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Plasma cutter for cast iron?

On Jul 21, 9:35*am, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
Habitat has a HUGE steam heat boiler that needs to be cut into smaller
pieces. *A gas torch is out - the manager is a cautious one. *Is there
anything different about using a plasma cutter on cast iron? *I wouldn't
think so, but I've never done it. *I guess that you would get a lot of
soot in the cloud of vaporized iron.

Bob

Sure the boiler is cast? All I've ever seen have been riveted iron or
steel sheet, for which a plasma cutter(or cutting torch) would be
ideal. A 10 lb sledge works wonders on cast fittings and radiators,
though(bathtubs, too). Not sure why a cutting torch would be less
safe than a plasma cutter, you've still got very hot particles flying
around, the fire hazard is going to be about the same. You're going
to have to have a hefty power supply for a plasma cutter, plus air or
a gas bottle. May have to have a generator if the house supply won't
support it.

Stan