Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Plasma cutter for cast iron? - FOLLOW UP

Good test. I'd look into renting a larger one if you can.
Consumables will cost you a bundle - get them bought for you.
Remember a dryer to keep the air dry and the consumables last longer.

You want one that cuts 3/4" so it will work easily. They will cut more
with some mess. You are running just over 1/2. So 3/4 to 1" cutting
and a long lead sounds needed.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 7/24/2010 1:51 PM, Bob Engelhardt wrote:
We tried the sledge hammer route, scoring first with an abrasive blade. I wasn't
surprised when we didn't get very far with too much work. The sections vary from
5/16 to 9/16 thick, with the occasional rib. At one spot I gave 4 mighty (!)
blows with a 12 lb sledge & it didn't even crack.

But I did get the OK for the plasma cutter. I brought a couple of pieces home to
try & it cuts pretty much the same as equal thickness of steel, as you would
expect. My cutter is pretty much entry-level, so it will be pretty slow, but
still faster & much easier than the sledge. With a 20% duty cycle, I figure that
I can cut 6-1/2' of 5/16 thick per hour.

Now I gotta go find a portable compressor, or more, that will keep up with the
torch. Maybe the torch's 20% duty cycle will help.

Bob