Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Plasma cutter for cast iron?

I'd say an LOX lance to burn through it.

Martin

Martin H. Eastburn
"Our Republic and the Press will Rise or Fall Together": Joseph Pulitzer
TSRA: Endowed; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
NRA Second Amendment Task Force Originator & Charter Founder
IHMSA and NRA Metallic Silhouette maker & member. http://lufkinced.com/

On 7/21/2010 12:01 PM, wrote:
On Jul 21, 9:35 am, Bob wrote:
Habitat has a HUGE steam heat boiler that needs to be cut into smaller
pieces. A gas torch is out - the manager is a cautious one. Is there
anything different about using a plasma cutter on cast iron? I wouldn't
think so, but I've never done it. I guess that you would get a lot of
soot in the cloud of vaporized iron.

Bob

Sure the boiler is cast? All I've ever seen have been riveted iron or
steel sheet, for which a plasma cutter(or cutting torch) would be
ideal. A 10 lb sledge works wonders on cast fittings and radiators,
though(bathtubs, too). Not sure why a cutting torch would be less
safe than a plasma cutter, you've still got very hot particles flying
around, the fire hazard is going to be about the same. You're going
to have to have a hefty power supply for a plasma cutter, plus air or
a gas bottle. May have to have a generator if the house supply won't
support it.

Stan