Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Amway

I have a friend from school days who joined Amway. He called me
recently and told me some gibberish about how I can live a life full
of expensive things without working if I join Amway.

This is not the first time I have heard about that company and I have
always been of the opinion that either complete suckers, or complete
scumbags, or often both, join Amway. I am obviously not considering
joining that sort of an enterprise, but I wonder if anyone had friends
or family get involved, and what happened.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus23290" wrote in message
I have a friend from school days who joined Amway. He called me
recently and told me some gibberish about how I can live a life full
of expensive things without working if I join Amway.

This is not the first time I have heard about that company and I have
always been of the opinion that either complete suckers, or complete
scumbags, or often both, join Amway. I am obviously not considering
joining that sort of an enterprise, but I wonder if anyone had friends
or family get involved, and what happened.

My aunt. She did quite well with it. It depends on your location and your
circle of friends. They're a legit company, although I don't know how they
operate these days. In the old days, they had a lot of unique products and
they built a loyal following.

In the interest of full disclosure, a roommate of mine was the son of a top
exec at Amway, from Ada, Michigan (Amway's home), and we never had to pay
for cleaning liquids when I was in college. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus23290 wrote:
I have a friend from school days who joined Amway. He called me
recently and told me some gibberish about how I can live a life full
of expensive things without working if I join Amway.

This is not the first time I have heard about that company and I have
always been of the opinion that either complete suckers, or complete
scumbags, or often both, join Amway. I am obviously not considering
joining that sort of an enterprise, but I wonder if anyone had friends
or family get involved, and what happened.

I had a mate ask me along to an "opportunity" and it turned out to be
Amway, surprisingly I knew the guy doing the sales pitch as well. It
struck me at the time as being a standard pyramid selling scheme and I
wouldn't touch it but I also valued friends and family too much and am
not inclined to be a salesman anyway. I did buy a small sample of stuff
and it did work well but was expensive. I can see how if you get in at
the beginning, at the top, you might make considerable money, but after
its run for awhile you'd just **** your friends off selling them stuff
and getting them to sell to others and so on.

I understood that pyramid schemes were illegal, so not sure how Amway
differs, not involved anyway.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Ignoramus23290 wrote:
I have a friend from school days who joined Amway. He called me
recently and told me some gibberish about how I can live a life full
of expensive things without working if I join Amway.

This is not the first time I have heard about that company and I have
always been of the opinion that either complete suckers, or complete
scumbags, or often both, join Amway. I am obviously not considering
joining that sort of an enterprise, but I wonder if anyone had friends
or family get involved, and what happened.

LOL
I'm not really trying to disparage you but your employer is little
different.
Ironic?
Perhaps.
Salient?
Definitely......

--
John R. Carroll

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus23290" wrote in message
I have a friend from school days who joined Amway. He called me
recently and told me some gibberish about how I can live a life full
of expensive things without working if I join Amway.

This is not the first time I have heard about that company and I have
always been of the opinion that either complete suckers, or complete
scumbags, or often both, join Amway. I am obviously not considering
joining that sort of an enterprise, but I wonder if anyone had friends
or family get involved, and what happened.

If it was any good, wouldn't everyone be doing it?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus23290" wrote in message
I have a friend from school days who joined Amway. He called me
recently and told me some gibberish about how I can live a life full
of expensive things without working if I join Amway.

This is not the first time I have heard about that company and I have
always been of the opinion that either complete suckers, or complete
scumbags, or often both, join Amway. I am obviously not considering
joining that sort of an enterprise, but I wonder if anyone had friends
or family get involved, and what happened.

My experience has been mixed, over the years several people have applied
various degrees of deceit in attempts to get me involved in selling Amway
and only 1 that simply offered to sell me products. We did buy a few things
and were happy with them. It's like anything else in life you have to work
long,hard and smart to be successful...there is no free lunch. I'm not
interested in any biz that needs to trick or pressure me into participating.

Andrew

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-03, Ed Huntress wrote:
My aunt. She did quite well with it. It depends on your location and your
circle of friends. They're a legit company, although I don't know how they
operate these days. In the old days, they had a lot of unique products and
they built a loyal following.

Ed, not to question what you said, but how do you know that she did
well. Amway distributors are notorious for lying about their incomes.

In the interest of full disclosure, a roommate of mine was the son of a top
exec at Amway, from Ada, Michigan (Amway's home), and we never had to pay
for cleaning liquids when I was in college. g

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-03, Ed Huntress wrote:
My aunt. She did quite well with it. It depends on your location and your
circle of friends. They're a legit company, although I don't know how
they
operate these days. In the old days, they had a lot of unique products
and
they built a loyal following.

Ed, not to question what you said, but how do you know that she did
well. Amway distributors are notorious for lying about their incomes.

She was my aunt. g She didn't get rich, but after my uncle died, it kept
her afloat, and somewhat better. She just sold the stuff. She was well-known
and well-liked, which gave her a good clientele to start with.

--
Ed Huntress

In the interest of full disclosure, a roommate of mine was the son of a
top
exec at Amway, from Ada, Michigan (Amway's home), and we never had to pay
for cleaning liquids when I was in college. g

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message
Ignoramus23290 wrote:
I have a friend from school days who joined Amway. He called me
recently and told me some gibberish about how I can live a life full
of expensive things without working if I join Amway.

This is not the first time I have heard about that company and I have
always been of the opinion that either complete suckers, or complete
scumbags, or often both, join Amway. I am obviously not considering
joining that sort of an enterprise, but I wonder if anyone had friends
or family get involved, and what happened.

LOL
I'm not really trying to disparage you but your employer is little
different.
Ironic?
Perhaps.
Salient?
Definitely......

--
John R. Carroll

Not grokking that. Does Iggy work for another MLM cult?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 17:03:54 -0600, Ignoramus23290
wrote:

I have a friend from school days who joined Amway. He called me
recently and told me some gibberish about how I can live a life full
of expensive things without working if I join Amway.

This is not the first time I have heard about that company and I have
always been of the opinion that either complete suckers, or complete
scumbags, or often both, join Amway. I am obviously not considering
joining that sort of an enterprise, but I wonder if anyone had friends
or family get involved, and what happened.

It's the sort of thing that really only works in the large cities. In
rural areas you just can't get enough of a "downpipe" to make it
worthwhile.
The big money is in having so many "below" you...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I am obviously not considering
joining that sort of an enterprise, but I wonder if anyone had friends
or family get involved, and what happened.

The last time I looked into it, their cleaning products and
concentrates were almost a good buy, but made up a very small fraction
of the product line. To keep your numbers up enough to keep your
distributorship, you basically needed to buy all your household items
from them, but everything other than the cleaning products, and maybe
their vitamins was massively overpriced and bottom tier quality/
features (home electronics, etc.). It may not be strictly a pyramid,
but the playing field isn't level, either. Just smile, shake your
head, and walk away.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article ,
Ignoramus23290 wrote:

I have a friend from school days who joined Amway. He called me
recently and told me some gibberish about how I can live a life full
of expensive things without working if I join Amway.

This is not the first time I have heard about that company and I have
always been of the opinion that either complete suckers, or complete
scumbags, or often both, join Amway. I am obviously not considering
joining that sort of an enterprise, but I wonder if anyone had friends
or family get involved, and what happened.

An interesting read...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amway

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

ATP* wrote:

Not grokking that. Does Iggy work for another MLM cult?

Yes. The Democratic party.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in message

ATP* wrote:

Not grokking that. Does Iggy work for another MLM cult?

Yes. The Democratic party.

At least Amway's stuff actually works.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 3, 3:03*pm, Ignoramus23290 ignoramus23...@NOSPAM.
23290.invalid wrote:
I have a friend from school days who joined Amway. He called me
recently and told me some gibberish about how I can live a life full
of expensive things without working if I join Amway.

This is not the first time I have heard about that company and I have
always been of the opinion that either complete suckers, or complete
scumbags, or often both, join Amway. I am obviously not considering
joining that sort of an enterprise, but I wonder if anyone had friends
or family get involved, and what happened.

I got the Mercedes! Well, I bought the Mercedes.

About 15 years ago we bought a 1983 300SD. We were the third owner. My
business partner was from Detroit and when I showed him the name of
the first owner he said he was sure that was one of the founders of
Amway. We still have the car.

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus23290" wrote in message
I have a friend from school days who joined Amway. He called me
recently and told me some gibberish about how I can live a life full
of expensive things without working if I join Amway.

This is not the first time I have heard about that company and I have
always been of the opinion that either complete suckers, or complete
scumbags, or often both, join Amway. I am obviously not considering
joining that sort of an enterprise, but I wonder if anyone had friends
or family get involved, and what happened.

My mom was involved in Amway for a while. I will ask her. From a product
side it was just another private labeler. Since she owned a country store I
never saw the wisdom of her being involved in Amway. Everything she sold
with an Amway label she sold with a trade label in the store. Like being in
competition with yourself. It was like being in competition with yourself,
and the agreement prohibited her from putting any of the product on the
shelves in the store.

I never asked her about the down line side of it, but the guy who came to
sign her up was a sleazy snake oil salesman, and the down line was all he
cared about. I would have thrown him off the property physically had I the
choice.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus23290" wrote in message
I have a friend from school days who joined Amway. He called me
recently and told me some gibberish about how I can live a life full
of expensive things without working if I join Amway.

This is not the first time I have heard about that company and I have
always been of the opinion that either complete suckers, or complete
scumbags, or often both, join Amway. I am obviously not considering
joining that sort of an enterprise, but I wonder if anyone had friends
or family get involved, and what happened.

I have had several friends that tried to get me to sign up, a few for Amway
and a few for some other outfit that worked on a similar basis.

What I do is to say "Gee that sounds wonderful, but I am a bit skeptical, so
here is what I am going to do. I am going to sign up after you can show me
it works by showing me your tax return next year and when I see that you are
paying taxes on $75k in profits from the Amway thing then I will be
convinced that you might have something. heck because we are friends I
might even buy some soap from you if you have something special."

For some reason no body that was hyped up on this has ever taken me up on
the deal.

--

Roger Shoaf

they come up with this striped stuff.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 17:03:54 -0600, Ignoramus23290 wrote:

I have a friend from school days who joined Amway. He called me recently
and told me some gibberish about how I can live a life full of expensive
things without working if I join Amway.

This is not the first time I have heard about that company and I have
always been of the opinion that either complete suckers, or complete
scumbags, or often both, join Amway. I am obviously not considering
joining that sort of an enterprise, but I wonder if anyone had friends or
family get involved, and what happened.

I knew a guy who sold Amway stuff out of the trunk of his car, so to speak.

I have no idea how he did money-wise, but nobody's gonna do that stuff at
a loss.

One consolation; it's not a Ponzi scam because the end customer actually
gets product, albeit at an inflated price.

I guess it would depend on how good of a salesman you are.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-04, Rich Grise wrote:
On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 17:03:54 -0600, Ignoramus23290 wrote:

I have a friend from school days who joined Amway. He called me recently
and told me some gibberish about how I can live a life full of expensive
things without working if I join Amway.

This is not the first time I have heard about that company and I have
always been of the opinion that either complete suckers, or complete
scumbags, or often both, join Amway. I am obviously not considering
joining that sort of an enterprise, but I wonder if anyone had friends or
family get involved, and what happened.

I knew a guy who sold Amway stuff out of the trunk of his car, so to speak.

I have no idea how he did money-wise, but nobody's gonna do that stuff at
a loss.

Actually, from what I have read, most Amway "representatives" end up
with a large loss, and are required to purchase expensive motivational
materials and attend expensive rallies.

They also tend to alienate their friends in the process of trying to
sign them up.

One consolation; it's not a Ponzi scam because the end customer actually
gets product, albeit at an inflated price.

I guess it would depend on how good of a salesman you are.

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Rich Grise wrote:

On Tue, 03 Nov 2009 17:03:54 -0600, Ignoramus23290 wrote:

I have a friend from school days who joined Amway. He called me recently
and told me some gibberish about how I can live a life full of expensive
things without working if I join Amway.

This is not the first time I have heard about that company and I have
always been of the opinion that either complete suckers, or complete
scumbags, or often both, join Amway. I am obviously not considering
joining that sort of an enterprise, but I wonder if anyone had friends or
family get involved, and what happened.

I knew a guy who sold Amway stuff out of the trunk of his car, so to speak.

I have no idea how he did money-wise, but nobody's gonna do that stuff at
a loss.

It's a cult, and like all cults, it brainwashes people into doing things
to their detriment in hopes of some future (and never attainable) great
reward.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

My brother got sucked in to Amway about 15 years ago. He asked me to help
him get a clean 300 series mercedes like mine, so he could "project success"
to potential suckers. I told him that with me 500 miles away, he couldn't
keep a car like that running without spending a lot, and if he thought it
was possible that the people above him in the pyramid were showing fake
flash like he intended to.

I put amway and amsoil sellers in the same class as lawyers and realtors. No
time for them and their crooked "money for nothing" schemes. My brother saw
the light after a few months, he always was a bit gullible.
--
Stupendous Man,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-05, Stupendous Man wrote:
My brother got sucked in to Amway about 15 years ago. He asked me to help
him get a clean 300 series mercedes like mine, so he could "project success"
to potential suckers. I told him that with me 500 miles away, he couldn't
keep a car like that running without spending a lot, and if he thought it
was possible that the people above him in the pyramid were showing fake
flash like he intended to.

Of course they were. I got to wonder, however, if a Mercedes 300 is
really a big manifestation of success. That's a $30,000 dollar car? Or
am I off with my pricing?

My pickup truck, which is not a prestige item, cost $33,000 or so, if
I remember right.

I put amway and amsoil sellers in the same class as lawyers and realtors. No
time for them and their crooked "money for nothing" schemes. My brother saw
the light after a few months, he always was a bit gullible.

I did not know that amsoil was a MLM scheme. I bought some oil from
them and oil filters.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 5, 8:40*am, Ignoramus11615 ignoramus11...@NOSPAM.
11615.invalid wrote:
On 2009-11-05, Stupendous Man wrote:

[...]

Back when our 1983 300SD was new, it's price was in the $45,000 range.
A lot has to do with the exchange rate at the time. We bought a new
1972 VW bus for $3200. The next year the price was $4200. The only
difference was the exchange rate between the dollar and the mark.

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 10:40:12 -0600, Ignoramus11615

On 2009-11-05, Stupendous Man wrote:
My brother got sucked in to Amway about 15 years ago. He asked me to help
him get a clean 300 series mercedes like mine, so he could "project success"
to potential suckers. I told him that with me 500 miles away, he couldn't
keep a car like that running without spending a lot, and if he thought it
was possible that the people above him in the pyramid were showing fake
flash like he intended to.

Of course they were. I got to wonder, however, if a Mercedes 300 is
really a big manifestation of success. That's a $30,000 dollar car? Or
am I off with my pricing?

A lot of the ones that are trying to impress are paying something like
$500 per month lease costs. They own nothing.

My pickup truck, which is not a prestige item, cost $33,000 or so, if
I remember right.

I put amway and amsoil sellers in the same class as lawyers and realtors. No
time for them and their crooked "money for nothing" schemes. My brother saw
the light after a few months, he always was a bit gullible.

I did not know that amsoil was a MLM scheme. I bought some oil from
them and oil filters.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-05, Stupendous Man wrote:
My brother got sucked in to Amway about 15 years ago. He asked me to help
him get a clean 300 series mercedes like mine, so he could "project success"
to potential suckers. I told him that with me 500 miles away, he couldn't
keep a car like that running without spending a lot, and if he thought it
was possible that the people above him in the pyramid were showing fake
flash like he intended to.

Of course they were. I got to wonder, however, if a Mercedes 300 is
really a big manifestation of success. That's a $30,000 dollar car? Or
am I off with my pricing?

I don't know what they go for since Mercedes doesn't make anything that
interests me. I think all of the so called luxury brands make a few low
$ models for wannabes.

My pickup truck, which is not a prestige item, cost $33,000 or so, if
I remember right.

If that $30k figure is correct, there are a lot of vehicles that cost a
whole lot more that aren't in the "look at me" class(less).

I put amway and amsoil sellers in the same class as lawyers and realtors. No
time for them and their crooked "money for nothing" schemes. My brother saw
the light after a few months, he always was a bit gullible.

I did not know that amsoil was a MLM scheme. I bought some oil from
them and oil filters.

Amsoil frequently referred to as Scamsoil is indeed another MLM scheme.
Their "independent distributors" are frequent spammers of automotive
newsgroups and forums. Their oils used to not even have API
certification so they would void your vehicles warranty right off the
bat. I think they finally got certification on some of their oil now, if
you can actually trust it, however they make absurd claims for oil
change intervals so if you follow them once again your warranty is void
when it's found that you have 30,000 miles on the oil and the vehicles
specified oil change interval is 5,000 miles.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-05, Stupendous Man wrote:
My brother got sucked in to Amway about 15 years ago. He asked me to help
him get a clean 300 series mercedes like mine, so he could "project success"
to potential suckers. I told him that with me 500 miles away, he couldn't
keep a car like that running without spending a lot, and if he thought it
was possible that the people above him in the pyramid were showing fake
flash like he intended to.

Of course they were. I got to wonder, however, if a Mercedes 300 is
really a big manifestation of success. That's a $30,000 dollar car? Or
am I off with my pricing?

A lot of the ones that are trying to impress are paying something like
$500 per month lease costs. They own nothing.

Amway especially, seems to be have an ingrained culture of flashing
wealth (probably much of it not really owned, as you mention).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 04 Nov 2009 14:45:27 -0500, Pete C. wrote:
Rich Grise wrote:

I have no idea how he did money-wise, but nobody's gonna do that stuff
at a loss.

It's a cult, and like all cults, it brainwashes people into doing things
to their detriment in hopes of some future (and never attainable) great
reward.

Ah! Just like Global Warmingism and Obamanism, right? :-

Cheers!
Rich

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
Rich Grise wrote:

I have no idea how he did money-wise, but nobody's gonna do that stuff
at a loss.

It's a cult, and like all cults, it brainwashes people into doing things
to their detriment in hopes of some future (and never attainable) great
reward.

Ah! Just like Global Warmingism and Obamanism, right? :-

Cheers!
Rich

HOLD YER PHONE CALLS, FOLKS. WE HAVE A WINNER!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Amway especially, seems to be have an ingrained culture of flashing
wealth (probably much of it not really owned, as you mention).

I disdain and avoid any sales managers who have the "cheerleader" attitude.
It is contagious crowd hysteria, and some people are very good at it. And
then, they take this stolen money and send their kids to dance school, and
buy all sorts of flashy items, and keep up the image. They are sad people
living on fluff and waiting for their balloon to burst. And they have no
soul.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2009-11-05, SteveB wrote:
Amway especially, seems to be have an ingrained culture of flashing
wealth (probably much of it not really owned, as you mention).

I disdain and avoid any sales managers who have the "cheerleader" attitude.
It is contagious crowd hysteria, and some people are very good at it. And
then, they take this stolen money and send their kids to dance school, and
buy all sorts of flashy items, and keep up the image. They are sad people
living on fluff and waiting for their balloon to burst. And they have no
soul.

Yes, and also, I think that it illustrates a saying "you cannot cheat
an honest man".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Nov 5, 1:39*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
Amway especially, seems to be have an ingrained culture of flashing
wealth (probably much of it not really owned, as you mention).

I disdain and avoid any sales managers who have the "cheerleader" attitude.
It is contagious crowd hysteria, and some people are very good at it. *And
then, they take this stolen money and send their kids to dance school, and
buy all sorts of flashy items, and keep up the image. *They are sad people
living on fluff and waiting for their balloon to burst. *And they have no
soul.

Steve

Sounds like the current Governor of Oregon!

Paul
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 05 Nov 2009 15:45:51 -0600, Ignoramus11615

On 2009-11-05, SteveB wrote:
Amway especially, seems to be have an ingrained culture of flashing
wealth (probably much of it not really owned, as you mention).

I disdain and avoid any sales managers who have the "cheerleader" attitude.
It is contagious crowd hysteria, and some people are very good at it. And
then, they take this stolen money and send their kids to dance school, and
buy all sorts of flashy items, and keep up the image. They are sad people
living on fluff and waiting for their balloon to burst. And they have no
soul.

Yes, and also, I think that it illustrates a saying "you cannot cheat
an honest man".

It's HARD to cheat an honest man, but in today's world it is no longer
impossible.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Yes, and also, I think that it illustrates a saying "you cannot cheat
an honest man".

Where does that phrase come from? W. C. Fields did a movie with that title,
and in it, he was a carnie flim flam man.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I signed up, years ago. The catalogs were hard to
understand. My sponsor's phone was always busy when he
wanted me to call, Friday between 7 and 8. And no one else
appeared interested in signing up. After a couple years, I
quit and didn't look back.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"Ignoramus23290" wrote
in message
I have a friend from school days who joined Amway. He called
me
recently and told me some gibberish about how I can live a
life full
of expensive things without working if I join Amway.

This is not the first time I have heard about that company
and I have
always been of the opinion that either complete suckers, or
complete
scumbags, or often both, join Amway. I am obviously not
considering
joining that sort of an enterprise, but I wonder if anyone
had friends
or family get involved, and what happened.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 5 Nov 2009 15:17:44 -0800 (PST), the infamous
" scrawled the following:

On Nov 5, 1:39*pm, "SteveB" wrote:
Amway especially, seems to be have an ingrained culture of flashing
wealth (probably much of it not really owned, as you mention).

I disdain and avoid any sales managers who have the "cheerleader" attitude.
It is contagious crowd hysteria, and some people are very good at it. *And
then, they take this stolen money and send their kids to dance school, and
buy all sorts of flashy items, and keep up the image. *They are sad people
living on fluff and waiting for their balloon to burst. *And they have no
soul.

Steve

Sounds like the current Governor of Oregon!

Yeah, he's a Demonrat cheerleader alright. Due to their numbers, the
radical leftwingers in Portland control the state and keep electing
trash like him to office. sigh

--
"To compel a man to subsidize with his taxes the propagation of
ideas which he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical."
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Ignoramus11615" wrote in message

Of course they were. I got to wonder, however, if a Mercedes 300 is
really a big manifestation of success. That's a $30,000 dollar car? Or
am I off with my pricing?

Well I just picked one up last week, cost was $1,364 plus tax and license.

--
Roger Shoaf