Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default On Topic - setting up kill file.

Hi All,
theres getting to be too much cross posting crap of little interest to
me in OZ, so can anyone recommend a kill file program that works with
Firefox - hopefully with simple instructions....
Andrew VK3BFA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Andrew VK3BFA wrote:
Hi All,
theres getting to be too much cross posting crap of little interest to
me in OZ, so can anyone recommend a kill file program that works with
Firefox - hopefully with simple instructions....
Andrew VK3BFA.

I believe if you investigate that Firefox has a built in filter system that
can be configured to killfile those whose posts you don't want to see .
Haven't got it installed in this machine , but it is the default client on
the wife's desktop - I'll check it out and get back to you .

--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

Hi All,
theres getting to be too much cross posting crap of little interest to
me in OZ, so can anyone recommend a kill file program that works with
Firefox - hopefully with simple instructions....
Andrew VK3BFA.

Andrew,

It looks like you are using googlegroups to post and read usenet. I don't think you are
going to find a way to filter.

You need to use a real nntp provider and your choice of a news reader.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Andrew VK3BFA wrote:
Hi All,
theres getting to be too much cross posting crap of little interest to
me in OZ, so can anyone recommend a kill file program that works with
Firefox - hopefully with simple instructions....
Andrew VK3BFA.

Ummm , you sure you didn't mean Thunderbird ? There's a "message filters"
under the "tools" button at the top . Looks like it is fairly easy to
configure ... if you're reading these posts on the web/google , I dunno ,
but teranews has a free server (I use it) that only costs a one-time fee of
3.95 USD to set up . Gives full access to binaries and text groups , with a
50Mb daily limit , which I seldom exceed .

--
Snag
"90 FLHTCU "Strider"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message
Hi All,
theres getting to be too much cross posting crap of little interest to
me in OZ, so can anyone recommend a kill file program that works with
Firefox - hopefully with simple instructions....
Andrew VK3BFA.

I just use BLOCK SENDER on each nut case individually on my OE. Some can be
set up so that anything that has a comma or semicolon is deleted. Shouldn't
be too hard. I usually give a guy about three strikes unless they post
something so ludicrous that it's a fly ball to second base. Read the HELP,
and it can probably get as complicated as you want to make it.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 05:41:19 -0700, Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

Hi All,
theres getting to be too much cross posting crap of little interest to
me in OZ, so can anyone recommend a kill file program that works with
Firefox - hopefully with simple instructions.... Andrew VK3BFA.

As pointed out, you seem to be using Google Groups. Setting up a kill
file is a function of the newsreader that you use, and I honestly don't
know if Google Groups provides that feature.

If your ISP gives you access to newsgroups you can read them with
Thunderbird, Pan, Agent, or any number of other readers -- I prefer Pan,
Thunderbird is not too bad, Microsoft Outlook Express used to work nice,
and I don't have experience with anything else, really.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:
Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

Hi All,
theres getting to be too much cross posting crap of little interest to
me in OZ, so can anyone recommend a kill file program that works with
Firefox - hopefully with simple instructions....
Andrew VK3BFA.

Andrew,

It looks like you are using googlegroups to post and read usenet. I don't think you are
going to find a way to filter.

You need to use a real nntp provider and your choice of a news reader.

Wes

In fact, posting from google groups is a good way to BE kill filed...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I just use BLOCK SENDER on each nut case individually on my OE. Some can
be set up so that anything that has a comma or semicolon is deleted.
Shouldn't be too hard. I usually give a guy about three strikes unless
they post something so ludicrous that it's a fly ball to second base.
Read the HELP, and it can probably get as complicated as you want to make
it.

I use outleak also. I tried block sender for Cliffy. Then you get just the
folks that replied to his drivel. As I often get a valid post where I see
the response before the original, I end up looking at the response. Actually
wastes more time. Easier to just mentally ignore.

Now, I wish there was a way to block the entire thread if an idiot started
it.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Karl Townsend wrote:
I just use BLOCK SENDER on each nut case individually on my OE. Some can
be set up so that anything that has a comma or semicolon is deleted.
Shouldn't be too hard. I usually give a guy about three strikes unless
they post something so ludicrous that it's a fly ball to second base.
Read the HELP, and it can probably get as complicated as you want to make
it.

I use outleak also. I tried block sender for Cliffy. Then you get just the
folks that replied to his drivel. As I often get a valid post where I see
the response before the original, I end up looking at the response. Actually
wastes more time. Easier to just mentally ignore.

Now, I wish there was a way to block the entire thread if an idiot started
it.

Karl

Just killing any thread that has alt.kooks in it will clean up 80% of the BS.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

BS . ya need not block sender ,

you need software that "reads" the subject and the text .

This way , software can read lengthy , political BS , and

hand you the import stuff , given in 8 words at the bottom,

in milliseconds .

Now , lets here from the Microsoft programmers , how this

is impossible , cant be done ...

It learns in seconds , what sentences ya want , and never

stops learning ..

Say it high lites ....political left and you tell PC its OK
in this order , its ok in other way , its ok .

You only need to do this once . Software will know how to
scan entire sentences , based on 5 minutes of your grammar .

Now , tell me why it cant be done !!

I dont have the time , im building airplanes .

The car has 4 wheels and they all turn a bit , so when

car is bolted to airplane , it can do cross wind landings .

3 , 1000cc Yamaha R1 engines can do 400 HP takeoff .

but at cruise , it can do 200 miles on a gallon .

Airplanes are very economical at 80mph .

2 sets of wings , both fold forward .

2024-T3 is really good . But will fail just as quick

as full hard rolled industrial aluminum , if it is same

weight . Wt for Wt .

Rolls flatten the top 10% of the metal to give grains

a shape like corn flakes . Shot peen is similar .

Now its UTS is increased to 40,000 psi .

Spars will be riveted by 5/32 brasier head aircraft rivets.

Everything is low cost . But fully tested , pull tests ,

wing static load tested ..

I cant believe theres no airplane excitement here ...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

heytwo wrote:

BS . ya need not block sender ,

you need software that "reads" the subject and the text .

This way , software can read lengthy , political BS , and

hand you the import stuff , given in 8 words at the bottom,

in milliseconds .

But, unfortunately, this is *NOT* a political group - topic wise.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 05:41:19 -0700 (PDT), Andrew VK3BFA
wrote:

Hi All,
theres getting to be too much cross posting crap of little interest to
me in OZ, so can anyone recommend a kill file program that works with
Firefox - hopefully with simple instructions....
Andrew VK3BFA.

T'bird didn't have enough filtering capabilities for me, so I finally
switched to Agent. Well worth the cost, and there are plenty of free
newsgroup providers if you don't feel like subscribing to a dedicated
one.

One thing I wish Agent would let me do, though, would be to explicitly
filter out any messages cross-posted to a certain group (like, say,
the "survivalists"). That would help.
Also, it would be nice if Agent would let you export & import your
kill files. That way, you could "borrow" someone's and modify it to
suit your needs.

"Google Groups" is the absolute pits. They are becoming the new
Micro$oft, turning formerly successful sites into garbage. DejaNews
was a good service back when.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Tim Wescott wrote:

On Sun, 27 Sep 2009 05:41:19 -0700, Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

Hi All,
theres getting to be too much cross posting crap of little interest to
me in OZ, so can anyone recommend a kill file program that works with
Firefox - hopefully with simple instructions.... Andrew VK3BFA.

As pointed out, you seem to be using Google Groups. Setting up a kill
file is a function of the newsreader that you use, and I honestly don't
know if Google Groups provides that feature.

If your ISP gives you access to newsgroups you can read them with
Thunderbird, Pan, Agent, or any number of other readers -- I prefer Pan,
Thunderbird is not too bad, Microsoft Outlook Express used to work nice,
and I don't have experience with anything else, really.

Free or very cheap Usenet/News Servers (note that free servers may
experience occasional outages and/or missed posts):

http://www.eternal-september.org [formerly motzarella.org, Free]
http://www.albasani.net [Free, Germany based, very good spam filtering]
http://www.aioe.org [Free, daily postings limited to 25]
http://usenet4all.se [Free, Google Groups filtered]
http://www.news.cis.dfn.de [Free, Germany based]
http://dotsrc.org/usenet [Free, Denmark based, may lack some groups]
http://www.usenet-replayer.com [Free, web-based; posts are relayed]
http://www.x-privat.org/international.php [Free with fee-based options,
may lack some groups]
http://www.teranews.com [One time setup charge, carry some binary
groups]
http://www.bubbanews.com [One time setup charge, fee-based options]
https://www.altopia.com [$6 per yr & up, carry some binary groups]
http://news.datemas.de [5 Euros ($7) per yr, Germany based]
http://www.glorb.com/usenet.php [$10 per yr]
http://news.individual.net [10 Euros ($14) per yr, Germany based, very
good spam filtering]

Metered/"pay by download" servers (preferred by some for economy, binary
access):

http://www.news.astraweb.com
http://usenet-news.net
http://www.octanews.com

Popular paid servers:

http://www.giganews.com
http://www.newsguy.com
http://www.supernews.com
http://www.powerusenet.com
http://www.easynews.com
http://www.forteinc.com/apn
http://www.newsrazor.net
http://www.binverse.com
http://secure.usenet-access.com

Reviews & info on paid servers:

http://www.newsgroupreviews.com
http://www.newsgroups.gs
http://ngprovider.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Andrew VK3BFA wrote:

Hi All,
theres getting to be too much cross posting crap of little interest to
me in OZ, so can anyone recommend a kill file program that works with
Firefox - hopefully with simple instructions....
Andrew VK3BFA.

From a similar thread on another newsgroup:

You use Firefox, yes?

Then download and install Greasemonkey:

Which this works with:

http://www.penney.org/ggkiller.html

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

From a similar thread on another newsgroup:

You use Firefox, yes?

Then download and install Greasemonkey:

Which this works with:

http://www.penney.org/ggkiller.html

That is awesome Mike. I had to give it a try just to see if TMT and Cliffie could be
bansished from googlegroups.

Andrew, I think Mike has a winner for you. I'd have never thought it possible to filter a
webpage like that.

Wes

in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 28, 5:27*pm, Wes wrote:
"Michael A. Terrell" wrote:

* From a similar thread on another newsgroup:

*You use Firefox, yes?

*Then download and install Greasemonkey:

Which this works with:

http://www.penney.org/ggkiller.html

That is awesome Mike. *I had to give it a try just to see if TMT and Cliffie could be
bansished from googlegroups.

Andrew, I think Mike has a winner for you. *I'd have never thought it possible to filter a
webpage like that.

Wes

in their eyes." *Dick Anthony Heller

Who me? ;)

I take it you have the winger disease.

Wes...if you would filter the conservative winger garbage there would
be nothing left.

But you like that stuff.

TMT
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 29 Sep 2009 06:00:30 GMT, "DoN. Nichols"
wrote:

snip
I believe that Agent will handle regular expressions. (I can't
test it, because I don't use a Windows box for newsreading at all.) I'm
not sure about Agent's implementation, but something like:

Newsgroups: .*,misc.survivalism

snip

I'm using a bit older version of Agent, but the last I knew
Agent can only filter news groups using "Subject:" and/or
"Author:". You can use more/others for filtering email
though.

What you proposed has been a wish for a long time,
especially the whole body of messages. There are several
newer versions of Agent available now, don't know if this
has been added yet or not.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I don't know how the posts appear to others, but just a glance of the
subject and author is what determines whether the post is metalworking
related.

The Delete key is probably the most simple method (man, do I like simple) of
avoiding any of the annoying noise that has become so common here in RCM.

Sarah hasn't gotten a lathe so she can make dildos out of discarded
driveshafts.

Click, that simple.

--
WB
metalworking projects

"Andrew VK3BFA" wrote in message
Hi All,
theres getting to be too much cross posting crap of little interest to
me in OZ, so can anyone recommend a kill file program that works with
Firefox - hopefully with simple instructions....
Andrew VK3BFA.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Newsgroups: .*,misc.survivalism

snip

I'm using a bit older version of Agent, but the last I knew
Agent can only filter news groups using "Subject:" and/or
"Author:". You can use more/others for filtering email
though.

What you proposed has been a wish for a long time,
especially the whole body of messages. There are several
newer versions of Agent available now, don't know if this
has been added yet or not.

Depending on what version of Agent you have it probably can filter on
more then just "Subject" and "Author". I believe the help files give
instructions on other items to filter and a google search will turn up
even more information.

For example, I have Agent 4.2 set to disregard any message sent to
more then two groups.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Joe Joe is offline

Newsgroups: .*,misc.survivalism

snip

I'm using a bit older version of Agent, but the last I knew
Agent can only filter news groups using "Subject:" and/or
"Author:". You can use more/others for filtering email
though.

What you proposed has been a wish for a long time,
especially the whole body of messages. There are several
newer versions of Agent available now, don't know if this
has been added yet or not.

Depending on what version of Agent you have it probably can filter on
more then just "Subject" and "Author". I believe the help files give
instructions on other items to filter and a google search will turn up
even more information.

For example, I have Agent 4.2 set to disregard any message sent to
more then two groups.

I do the same - if the other group is cncmachining (or whatever)
that's relevant, but if it's "survivalism" it's inevitably noise.
That's why I want to filter based on specific groups.

I also use 4.2, and it won't let me do that. Given the rather complex
and somewhat arcane options available in the set-up, it seems strange
that they left the filtering tool without that specific option.

Still, Agent suits me, and my brain still has a pretty good filtering
system. It's the only way I can survive in todays world.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Newsgroups: .*,misc.survivalism
snip

I'm using a bit older version of Agent, but the last I knew
Agent can only filter news groups using "Subject:" and/or
"Author:". You can use more/others for filtering email
[...]

I use the following killfile to kill cross posted messages in
rec.crafts.metalworking downloaded by Agent 4.2.. You must run the
apply filters under "Tools" after messages are downloaded, I would
love the option of killing all messages that mention Democrat or
Republican in the message body.

Does anybody know of a newsgroup reader that does this?

newsgroups: ({\,.+\,.+\,.+\,} and rec.crafts.metalworking)
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 30 Sep 2009 13:32:12 -0400, Usual suspect
wrote:

I use the following killfile to kill cross posted messages in
rec.crafts.metalworking downloaded by Agent 4.2.. You must run the
apply filters under "Tools" after messages are downloaded, I would
love the option of killing all messages that mention Democrat or
Republican in the message body.

Does anybody know of a newsgroup reader that does this?

newsgroups: ({\,.+\,.+\,.+\,} and rec.crafts.metalworking)

You could probably do that right now via Agent by using the
Global search (ctl-g) after retrieving new messages. Search
on "body: (democrat|republican)" without the quotes of
course. Search in say Selected Groups and Folders, Click the
"Find All" and then select, delete all the messages it
finds. I tested this on my old version 2, works okay.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Usual suspect wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking:

I use the following killfile to kill cross posted messages in
rec.crafts.metalworking downloaded by Agent 4.2.. You must run the
apply filters under "Tools" after messages are downloaded, I would
love the option of killing all messages that mention Democrat or
Republican in the message body.

Does anybody know of a newsgroup reader that does this?

XNews allows you to eliminate cross-posted messages and filters by
subject/author but DOES NOT provide any body filtering.

--

I used to be an anarchist but had to give it up: _far_ too many rules.