Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Britain's answer to knife crime

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 18:49:13 -0600, Steve Ackman
wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece

================
Another attempt to solve a non-technical problem by technical
means. 40-50 GBP= 65-81$US. You can make a shank out of a file
or other piece of steel, even hot rolled.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece

================
Another attempt to solve a non-technical problem by technical
means. 40-50 GBP= 65-81$US. You can make a shank out of a file
or other piece of steel, even hot rolled.

An old bicycle spoke works well in the right place. You don't even
need to sharpen it.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve Ackman" wrote in message
rg...
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece

We've come full circle. I watched a program about knives. Seems in Jolly
Olde, male dinner guests brought their own knives to carve meat and cut
their portions. One of the upper class had the "butter knife" designed so
that he could have the men leave their weapons at home and there would be
less chance of stabbings at dinner parties.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Ackman writes:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece

And, of course, the only way to use a knife as a weapon is to stab
someone. Slashing is, as everyone in the UK is apparently aware,
completely ineffective.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece

and there I was, thinking 4 seconds on a bench grinder...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 18:49:13 -0600, the infamous Steve Ackman
scrawled the following:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece

How cute, a chef's butter knife! How's a person to dice celery or cut
their steak, hmmm? Ucking Fidiots!

Q is rolling over in his grave and Bond just gave up his Brit
citizenship.

--
Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized
anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 10:34:50 GMT, the infamous Stealth Pilot
scrawled the following:

wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece

and there I was, thinking 4 seconds on a bench grinder...

Egad, how uncouth! Don't they have diamond hones Down Under?

--
Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized
anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
-- Eleanor Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 06:40:11 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 18:49:13 -0600, the infamous Steve Ackman
scrawled the following:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece

How cute, a chef's butter knife! How's a person to dice celery or cut
their steak, hmmm? Ucking Fidiots!

Q is rolling over in his grave and Bond just gave up his Brit
citizenship.

Bugger that, it wouldn't even open a can of soup when you've lost the can
opener :-(

Wouldn't be a lot of use for carving a roast for that matter.

Silly season must have come a bit early this year.

Mark Rand (with a reasonable selection of Sheffield made kitchen knives)
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 18:49:13 -0600, the infamous Steve Ackman
scrawled the following:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece

How cute, a chef's butter knife! How's a person to dice celery or cut
their steak, hmmm? Ucking Fidiots!

Q is rolling over in his grave and Bond just gave up his Brit
citizenship.

Bugger that, it wouldn't even open a can of soup when you've lost the can
opener :-(

Wouldn't be a lot of use for carving a roast for that matter.

Silly season must have come a bit early this year.

Mark Rand (with a reasonable selection of Sheffield made kitchen knives)
RTFM

It looks a little like a gutting knife. The dull point is slipped under the
skin, and a sharp notch then cuts through the skin and a thin layer of
muscle, keeping you from cutting into the viscera. You'd have to sharpen the
notch between the rounded part and the real blade, but you can do that by
hand, with an ordinary stone.

If you see a rise in gutting crimes in the UK, you'll know that your killers
have adapted to the tools at hand. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 17:49:35 +0100, the infamous Mark Rand
scrawled the following:

wrote:

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 18:49:13 -0600, the infamous Steve Ackman
scrawled the following:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece

How cute, a chef's butter knife! How's a person to dice celery or cut
their steak, hmmm? Ucking Fidiots!

Q is rolling over in his grave and Bond just gave up his Brit
citizenship.

Bugger that, it wouldn't even open a can of soup when you've lost the can
opener :-(

Wouldn't be a lot of use for carving a roast for that matter.

No, rounded edges wouldn't do much of anything but cut butter, and
that only if it had -not- been refrigerated first.

Silly season must have come a bit early this year.

It ends and restarts?

Mark Rand (with a reasonable selection of Sheffield made kitchen knives)

For now...

--
Do what you feel in your heart to be right - for you'll be criticized
anyway. You'll be damned if you do, and damned if you don't.
-- Eleanor Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Steve Ackman" wrote in message
rg...
wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece

and there I was, thinking 4 seconds on a bench grinder...

Easy enough to outlaw bench grinders next.

--
˜¯˜¯

My worry is that they would outlaw angle grinders! Our favourite "fix
anything" tool over in uk.d-i-y.....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gerald Miller" wrote in message
| On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 20:02:14 -0500, F. George McDuffee
| wrote:
|
| On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 18:49:13 -0600, Steve Ackman
| wrote:
|
| http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece
| ================
| Another attempt to solve a non-technical problem by technical
| means. 40-50 GBP= 65-81$US. You can make a shank out of a file
| or other piece of steel, even hot rolled.
|
| An old bicycle spoke works well in the right place. You don't even
| need to sharpen it.
| Gerry :-)}
| London, Canada

A long screwdriver would work just as deadly.
I'm waiting for the new British designed anti-stabbing screwdriver.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article , Steve
Ackman wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece

I can fix that knife for you.

-Frank

--
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand wrote:

Silly season must have come a bit early this year.

Mark, I have a problem squaring this with reality. Of all the countries that tend to ally
with us when military actions are taken, your nation(s) tend to be first in line. Then I
see this stuff. The dichotomy is hard to understand.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 22:23:42 +0100, "newshound"
wrote:

. org...
wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece

and there I was, thinking 4 seconds on a bench grinder...

Easy enough to outlaw bench grinders next.

--
??

My worry is that they would outlaw angle grinders! Our favourite "fix
anything" tool over in uk.d-i-y.....

Is "Angle Grinder Man" still active?
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece

Tools are scary to a populace generally unaccustomed to use of tools.
Tradesmen use tools, military use weapons, and so on.

I once hired (rented) a small electric chainsaw (Milwaukee if it
matters) at a hire shop in London to cut down a rather runty lila
tree. We could have done it in 5 minutes with a bucksaw -- if they
had bucksaws there, but I didn't see any at the local store and my
SIL wanted to do it with a chainsaw so that's what we did.

The dufflebag full of safety kit that came with that chainsaw was
amazing. I don't know how anyone could work wearing all that stuff.
Chaps, knee guards, full face shield, earmuffs, gauntlets, holy moly
Ole! The guy said they had to supply it with each rental and we were
strongly advised to use it.

I said I was from Minnesota, USA where chainsaws are about as common
as hammers,screwdrivers and rifles, I owned a couple and used them as
and when necessary or useful.

We still had to take the duffle full of kit. No prob.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Jun 19, 3:15*am, Steve Ackman
wrote:

* I had a Remington chainsaw in the '80s but the rifle
was a Ruger.

My issued M16 was a Harrington & Richardson. It could drop a tree in a
few seconds.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Ackman wrote:
In , on Fri, 19 Jun 2009
01:01:09 -0500, Don Foreman, wrote:

Tools are scary to a populace generally unaccustomed to use of tools.
Tradesmen use tools, military use weapons, and so on.

I once hired (rented) a small electric chainsaw (Milwaukee if it
matters) at a hire shop in London to cut down a rather runty lila
tree. We could have done it in 5 minutes with a bucksaw -- if they
had bucksaws there, but I didn't see any at the local store and my
SIL wanted to do it with a chainsaw so that's what we did.

The dufflebag full of safety kit that came with that chainsaw was
amazing. I don't know how anyone could work wearing all that stuff.
Chaps, knee guards, full face shield, earmuffs, gauntlets, holy moly
Ole! The guy said they had to supply it with each rental and we were
strongly advised to use it.

Apparently it's actually the law in Germany, not only
to USE the safety gear, but to get a permit to operate a
chainsaw. This from an acquaintance there (ca Dec '08).

I had to attend the German beginners class on
proper usage and proper cutting with a chain saw.
It's a new law here. Plus you must wear the new
safety overhauls,boots and helmit with ear
protection. 300 dollars later I have my offical
depolma.

I can believe that though it's not a case in the UK yet that I'm aware
of. My chainsaw has proved quite useful and hasn't bitten me but I treat
it with the respect it deserves. A guy I know said we do have some
similar regulations such as the abrasive wheel regulations which means
he has to change the wheel on his workers angle grinders as he has done
the abrasive wheel safety course. His point though was that anyone can
go down the local DIY shop and get a 9" angle grinder and use it with no
training. Hopefully they don't end up in A&E, affectionately known as
the Black & Decker ward.

I said I was from Minnesota, USA where chainsaws are about as common
as hammers,screwdrivers and rifles, I owned a couple and used them as
and when necessary or useful.

I had a Remington chainsaw in the '80s but the rifle
was a Ruger.

We still had to take the duffle full of kit. No prob.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 01:01:09 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

snip
The dufflebag full of safety kit that came with that chainsaw was
amazing. I don't know how anyone could work wearing all that stuff.
Chaps, knee guards, full face shield, earmuffs, gauntlets, holy moly
Ole! The guy said they had to supply it with each rental and we were
strongly advised to use it.

I said I was from Minnesota, USA where chainsaws are about as common
as hammers,screwdrivers and rifles, I owned a couple and used them as
and when necessary or useful.

If the OSHA/safety guys ever watched me running a chainsaw
they would have a coronary on the spot. The first thing I
did on my new saw (30 years ago) was take the STUPID shield
off the tip. The tip of a chainsaw is what makes it SO
useful, but you also give it the up most respect. Ground all
the *&^@# anti-kick tooth nubs off my electric chainsaw too.

I would say I use the top of the blade 1/3 of the time and
the bottom 2/3. Especially while limbing the smaller stuff.

Always take a break when you get tired, that is when I am
most likely to do something stupid or not have the stamina
to make the saw obey...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 18 Jun 2009 19:13:32 -0400, Wes wrote:

Mark Rand wrote:

Silly season must have come a bit early this year.

Mark, I have a problem squaring this with reality. Of all the countries that tend to ally
with us when military actions are taken, your nation(s) tend to be first in line. Then I
see this stuff. The dichotomy is hard to understand.

Wes

Think of Kalifornia :-)

Just because these things come up, doesn't mean that they have any significant
effect in the grand scheme of things. By comparison, there was a report on the
BBC website today that 50% of teachers think that junior schools are too safe
and that paying too much attention to safety harms the kids' ability to think
for themselves. There is intelligence mixed in with the lunacy.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I once hired (rented) a small electric chainsaw (Milwaukee if it
matters) at a hire shop in London to cut down a rather runty lila
tree. We could have done it in 5 minutes with a bucksaw -- if they
had bucksaws there, but I didn't see any at the local store and my
SIL wanted to do it with a chainsaw so that's what we did.

I use a 4' Sandvik bucksaw.had it for about 25 years now, doesn't get used
that often here in suburbia, but it's better than any electric chainsaw. Dad
used to sell Jonsered back in the era when they made descent chainsaws.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 14:28:46 -0400, Leon Fisk
wrote:

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 01:01:09 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

snip
[...]

And don't even think of using it after six or more "Daddy Pops"
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Ackman wrote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece

Here is one to go with it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...s-a-knife.html

--
Michael Koblic
Campbell River, BC

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 17:03:01 -0700, "Michael Koblic"
wrote:

Steve Ackman wrote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece

Here is one to go with it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...s-a-knife.html

Hey, back in the 60's as a pre-teen I carried a knife. One that I had bought
with my own pocket money in an ironmongers. How the hell else were you
expected to sharpen your school pencils and whittle bits of wood? :-|

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Steve Ackman wrote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece

Here is one to go with it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...s-a-knife.html

Hey, back in the 60's as a pre-teen I carried a knife. One that I had
bought
with my own pocket money in an ironmongers. How the hell else were you
expected to sharpen your school pencils and whittle bits of wood? :-|

Mark Rand
RTFM

I still carry one. I don't understand how a grown man can make his way
through life without a good pocket knife.

On two occasions, I've forgotten I had it as I was about to board a plane.
Fortunately the security people recognized that my little knives were just
an oversight on my part and they allowed me to go buy an envelope and some
stamps, and mail it to myself at home. (My checked luggage was already on
the plane.) I wouldn't let a bone-handled Case or a Buck Cadet get away. I
would have stayed home instead. g

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Steve Ackman wrote:

In , on Fri, 19 Jun 2009 17:03:01 -0700,
Michael Koblic, wrote:
Steve Ackman wrote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece

Here is one to go with it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...s-a-knife.html

85 out of 1000 is a problem in their eyes? Seems
when I was growing up, just about everyone had a
knife.

I've pretty much carried a knife all my life...
though admittedly the Leatherman I've carried for the
last 7 years might qualify as a "knife" only on a
technicality... but I'd be naked without it.

"The one that got away" was a Buck engraved with name,
unit, dates of service, I got when I left the 3d ACR.
Actually, I didn't "lose" it so much as it was stolen.

I carried Camilus electrician's knives most of my life, from the
start of junior high school, on. I made several flights with one in my
pocket, as well. I simply opened both blades and let them see they were
barely sharp enough to strip wire, wile telling them I used them every
day in my work to strip wire, and as screwdrivers. They just said, Ok,
and handed it back to me.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" writes:

I carried Camilus electrician's knives most of my life, from the
start of junior high school, on. I made several flights with one in my
pocket, as well. I simply opened both blades and let them see they were
barely sharp enough to strip wire, wile telling them I used them every
day in my work to strip wire, and as screwdrivers. They just said, Ok,
and handed it back to me.

Have you carried one on a flight since 2001? I always carry a pcket
knife, except when flying...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Michael Koblic, wrote:
Steve Ackman wrote:
[...]

!978, going through security in the nations capitol, I had two
questionable items in my brief case (besides my photo card which
allowed me access to any area on the airport including the bonded
storage for in flight refreshments). One was a multi point
screwdriver(~1 1/2" long bits) and a 12V., ice pick like, circuit
tracing probe. Guess which was confiscated as being on the prohibited
list, while the other was permitted since it was classed as "test
equipment".
OTOH, a couple years latter, I was called in to regional office
during a site visit after a shopping expedition. On approaching the
check in screening point, wearing the above mentioned photo card, I
made the comment - "You won't believe what is in that brief case" (I
was prepared to have them ask the airport manager to hold it till I
came back the next week for my vehicle), The response was "In that
case I won't look at the X-Ray!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Mark Rand wrote:

Think of Kalifornia :-)

I really would rather not

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece

So slashing will become the method.

Shrug...knives are easy to make or modify.

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece

So slashing will become the method.

Shrug...knives are easy to make or modify.

Or use a broken bottle.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece

So slashing will become the method.

Shrug...knives are easy to make or modify.

Or use a broken bottle.

To quote one of Alistair MacLean's characters (in the book "Bear Island")
"I've often found a bottle of Scotch to be a great leveller".

The character had just knocked out one of the villians by clobbering him
with a full bottle... grin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece

So slashing will become the method.

Shrug...knives are easy to make or modify.

Or use a broken bottle.

Indeed. Or a large nut on a 6" piece of rope, or a ......

Lots of ways to bash, slash, gash and stash people.

None of which are "weapons"

Gunner

"Lenin called them "useful idiots," those people living in
liberal democracies who by giving moral and material support
to a totalitarian ideology in effect were braiding the rope that
would hang them. Why people who enjoyed freedom and prosperity worked
passionately to destroy both is a fascinating question, one still with us
today. Now the useful idiots can be found in the chorus of appeasement,
reflexive anti-Americanism, and sentimental idealism trying to inhibit
the necessary responses to another freedom-hating ideology, radical Islam"

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece

So slashing will become the method.

Shrug...knives are easy to make or modify.

Or use a broken bottle.

Indeed. Or a large nut on a 6" piece of rope, or a ......

Lots of ways to bash, slash, gash and stash people.

None of which are "weapons"

You forgot 'Staple' with an 'Arrow T-75'. ;-)

I had pretty good results using my can on some punk, too. Its been
over three years since I took him down after he assaulted me, and people
still laugh when his name is mentioned. They still call him 'Pretzel
Boy', because I had him on his knees on the ground with his left arm
twisted behind his back, and I was leaning down to cut off his air. It
was a fair fight though. He was one third my age, six inches taller, and
thought he was the meanest SOB in North Central Florida. He just didn't
count on an old man taking him down, in front of his little group of
thugs.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"RAM³" wrote:

"Michael A. Terrell" wrote in
rec.crafts.metalworking:

wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece

So slashing will become the method.

Shrug...knives are easy to make or modify.

Or use a broken bottle.

To quote one of Alistair MacLean's characters (in the book "Bear Island")
"I've often found a bottle of Scotch to be a great leveller".

The character had just knocked out one of the villians by clobbering him
with a full bottle... grin

That's ok, as long as he doesn't waste a bottle of good Scotch.

A hot soldering iron does a pretty good job, too, if you make sure to
burn a hole in something they might miss. I had a drunk barge into my
room in the barracks one evening, and threaten me. I asked him to leave,
and he started screaming for me to stop working on someone's stereo, and
give him my tools, then yelled, Give me that !@#$%^&* soldering iron,
right now! I asked, This one? Then I lunged at him, and missed him by
less than an inch. He did a standing broad jump, backwards into my wall
locker, and slammed his head into it. Funny thing is, he never came
back to bother me after that.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I have yet to demonstrate how I remove unwanted "growths" from the
vicinity of my front door using a gas powered "weed whacker"
The young lady who wanted me to buy an alarm system called the local
constabulary after I offered to show her my "staffordshire" alarm
system (resident puppy is a Bichon Frise) and Winchester "anti theft
equipment". Apparently she needed help in the laundry department. The
responding officer was totally amused.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jk jk is offline

Gerald Miller wrote:

OTOH, a couple years latter, I was called in to regional office
during a site visit after a shopping expedition. On approaching the
check in screening point, wearing the above mentioned photo card, I
made the comment - "You won't believe what is in that brief case" (I
was prepared to have them ask the airport manager to hold it till I
came back the next week for my vehicle), The response was "In that
case I won't look at the X-Ray!
Gerry :-)}

When passing through security in REno, when they were going to swab my
Laptop and case, I informed them that I had been working in a
munitions disposal area. THey decided not to swab it, because of the
amount of paperwork they had to do if it went off.
jk
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I don't have a dog ATM, but I have offered more than once to
demonstrate how a 'Suicide cord' works. BTW, Mine has a piggyback plug,
so you can do a two for one! ;-)