Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Britain's answer to knife crime

On Wed, 17 Jun 2009 18:49:13 -0600, Steve Ackman
wrote:

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece

Tools are scary to a populace generally unaccustomed to use of tools.
Tradesmen use tools, military use weapons, and so on.

I once hired (rented) a small electric chainsaw (Milwaukee if it
matters) at a hire shop in London to cut down a rather runty lila
tree. We could have done it in 5 minutes with a bucksaw -- if they
had bucksaws there, but I didn't see any at the local store and my
SIL wanted to do it with a chainsaw so that's what we did.

The dufflebag full of safety kit that came with that chainsaw was
amazing. I don't know how anyone could work wearing all that stuff.
Chaps, knee guards, full face shield, earmuffs, gauntlets, holy moly
Ole! The guy said they had to supply it with each rental and we were
strongly advised to use it.

I said I was from Minnesota, USA where chainsaws are about as common
as hammers,screwdrivers and rifles, I owned a couple and used them as
and when necessary or useful.

We still had to take the duffle full of kit. No prob.