Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk Leon Fisk is offline

Default Britain's answer to knife crime

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 01:01:09 -0500, Don Foreman
wrote:

snip
The dufflebag full of safety kit that came with that chainsaw was
amazing. I don't know how anyone could work wearing all that stuff.
Chaps, knee guards, full face shield, earmuffs, gauntlets, holy moly
Ole! The guy said they had to supply it with each rental and we were
strongly advised to use it.

I said I was from Minnesota, USA where chainsaws are about as common
as hammers,screwdrivers and rifles, I owned a couple and used them as
and when necessary or useful.

If the OSHA/safety guys ever watched me running a chainsaw
they would have a coronary on the spot. The first thing I
did on my new saw (30 years ago) was take the STUPID shield
off the tip. The tip of a chainsaw is what makes it SO
useful, but you also give it the up most respect. Ground all
the *&^@# anti-kick tooth nubs off my electric chainsaw too.

I would say I use the top of the blade 1/3 of the time and
the bottom 2/3. Especially while limbing the smaller stuff.

Always take a break when you get tired, that is when I am
most likely to do something stupid or not have the stamina
to make the saw obey...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b