Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller Gerald Miller is offline

Default Britain's answer to knife crime

On Sat, 20 Jun 2009 03:02:14 -0400, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

Steve Ackman wrote:

In , on Fri, 19 Jun 2009 17:03:01 -0700,
Michael Koblic, wrote:
Steve Ackman wrote:
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle6501720.ece

Here is one to go with it:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...s-a-knife.html

85 out of 1000 is a problem in their eyes? Seems
when I was growing up, just about everyone had a
knife.

I've pretty much carried a knife all my life...
though admittedly the Leatherman I've carried for the
last 7 years might qualify as a "knife" only on a
technicality... but I'd be naked without it.

"The one that got away" was a Buck engraved with name,
unit, dates of service, I got when I left the 3d ACR.
Actually, I didn't "lose" it so much as it was stolen.

I carried Camilus electrician's knives most of my life, from the
start of junior high school, on. I made several flights with one in my
pocket, as well. I simply opened both blades and let them see they were
barely sharp enough to strip wire, wile telling them I used them every
day in my work to strip wire, and as screwdrivers. They just said, Ok,
and handed it back to me.

!978, going through security in the nations capitol, I had two
questionable items in my brief case (besides my photo card which
allowed me access to any area on the airport including the bonded
storage for in flight refreshments). One was a multi point
screwdriver(~1 1/2" long bits) and a 12V., ice pick like, circuit
tracing probe. Guess which was confiscated as being on the prohibited
list, while the other was permitted since it was classed as "test
equipment".
OTOH, a couple years latter, I was called in to regional office
during a site visit after a shopping expedition. On approaching the
check in screening point, wearing the above mentioned photo card, I
made the comment - "You won't believe what is in that brief case" (I
was prepared to have them ask the airport manager to hold it till I
came back the next week for my vehicle), The response was "In that
case I won't look at the X-Ray!
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada