Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default DB-25 Panel cutout dimensions

Hi,

I must be losing my Google search skills but I cannot find panel cut
out details for a female DB-25 plug.

By Female I mean the outer profile of the shell and not the pins
versus sockets. The panel cutout has to be big enough to clear that
outer shell and let the plug seat fully with the Male part.

Can someone please point me at a website that will have the cutout
dimensions?

Thanks

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave, I can't do that" writes:

Hi,

I must be losing my Google search skills but I cannot find panel cut
out details for a female DB-25 plug.

By Female I mean the outer profile of the shell and not the pins
versus sockets. The panel cutout has to be big enough to clear that
outer shell and let the plug seat fully with the Male part.

I once saw a catalog listing for a Greenlee punch for such.
The price would make you faint, however.

--
A host is a host from coast to
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave, I can't do that" wrote:
Hi,

I must be losing my Google search skills but I cannot find panel cut
out details for a female DB-25 plug.

By Female I mean the outer profile of the shell and not the pins
versus sockets.

Then you mean the male side (gender referring to the actual electrical
interface connections, ie, the actual pins and sockets). On a DB-25, the
outer shell of the male end will surround the outer shell of the female when
the two are connected.

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:49:14 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

Hi,

I must be losing my Google search skills but I cannot find panel cut
out details for a female DB-25 plug.

I just emailed you a couple autocad dwgs that I use for mounting
connectors in NEMA boxes. They're not dimensioned, but they may be
helpful. I generally print them and transfer the center lines to the
panel with a punch. Let me know if you don't receive or can't open
them.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 25, 1:49*pm, "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:
Hi,

I must be losing my Google search skills but I cannot find panel cut
out details for a female DB-25 plug.

By Female I mean the outer profile of the shell and not the pins
versus sockets. The panel cutout has to be big enough to clear that
outer shell and let the plug seat fully with the Male part.

Can someone please point me at a website that will have the cutout
dimensions?

Thanks

Dave

Something top watch out for, if the metal piece is thick you may need
to relieve/'face' the mounting area to get full seating.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 25, 11:53 am, Ned Simmons wrote:

Hi Ned,

I just emailed you a couple autocad dwgs that I use for mounting
connectors in NEMA boxes. They're not dimensioned, but they may be

Thanks I got them and replied.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 25, 11:42 am, "Jon Danniken"
wrote:

Hi Jon,

Then you mean the male side (gender referring to the actual electrical
interface connections, ie, the actual pins and sockets). On a DB-25, the
outer shell of the male end will surround the outer shell of the female when
the two are connected.

Thanks, I had not realized that.

So I need the cut out large enough for the Male (pins) version.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 13:01:12 -0700 (PDT), "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

On Sep 25, 11:53 am, Ned Simmons wrote:

Hi Ned,

I just emailed you a couple autocad dwgs that I use for mounting
connectors in NEMA boxes. They're not dimensioned, but they may be

Thanks I got them and replied.

Dave

I also remembered AMP has excellent drawings of their connectors, for
example:
http://ecommas.tycoelectronics.com/c...747912_R.p df

I'm not sure if that's exactly what you need. I reached it thru
Mouser's web site.
http://www.mouser.com/

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:49:14 -0700 (PDT), the renowned "Dave, I can't
do that" wrote:

Hi,

I must be losing my Google search skills but I cannot find panel cut
out details for a female DB-25 plug.

By Female I mean the outer profile of the shell and not the pins
versus sockets. The panel cutout has to be big enough to clear that
outer shell and let the plug seat fully with the Male part.

Can someone please point me at a website that will have the cutout
dimensions?

Thanks

Dave

There's no real standard for a cutout- some are reversible and some
are not, and some have looser tolerance than others.

There's a cutout (on a panel) drawing here, but you have to register
and log in:

http://www.l-com.com/multimedia/eng_...S2516B-OD1.pdf

(reversible)

Here's another (non-reversible)

http://www.archive.chipcenter.com/ci...2/c0302lt2.htm

And a datasheet for a part with yet another design:

http://multimedia.3m.com/mws/mediawe...6EVs6E666666--

And a cutout-only drawing:

http://catalog.tycoelectronics.com/T...s/2738006a.gif

Lots and lots more info if you search electronics distributors for the
part datasheets (eg. Digikey).

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Dave, I can't do that" wrote:

Hi,

I must be losing my Google search skills but I cannot find panel cut
out details for a female DB-25 plug.

By Female I mean the outer profile of the shell and not the pins
versus sockets. The panel cutout has to be big enough to clear that
outer shell and let the plug seat fully with the Male part.

Can someone please point me at a website that will have the cutout
dimensions?

Can't you just measure the parallel port on your PC, or an old
computer card? I used to use a spare plate from a bad board to scribe
the outline, and a nibblet to make custom cutouts.

http://www.keyelco.com/pdfs/m55-comp-bkts.pdf shows a lot of connector
cutouts.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 26, 3:49 am, "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:
Hi,

I must be losing my Google search skills but I cannot find panel cut
out details for a female DB-25 plug.

By Female I mean the outer profile of the shell and not the pins
versus sockets. The panel cutout has to be big enough to clear that
outer shell and let the plug seat fully with the Male part.

Can someone please point me at a website that will have the cutout
dimensions?

Thanks

Dave

Correct me if I am being really stupid, but why cant you measure it? -
after all, this is what vernier calipers are made for. By all means if
you have the data in front of you thats the easy way, but basic
metalworking skills........

Andrew VK3BFA.

PS - ok, granted, I have learnt in a proper trade certificate course
all the really basic metalworking stuff that most hobbyists do not
bother with cause its "too basic" - a lot to be said for starting the
book on page 1 line 1......
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 25 Sep 2008 10:49:14 -0700, Dave, I can't do that wrote:

Hi,

I must be losing my Google search skills but I cannot find panel cut out
details for a female DB-25 plug.

By Female I mean the outer profile of the shell and not the pins versus
sockets. The panel cutout has to be big enough to clear that outer shell
and let the plug seat fully with the Male part.

Can someone please point me at a website that will have the cutout
dimensions?

Thanks

Dave

Go to the Digi-Key website (http://www.digikey.com), find a
representative DB-25 connector, and pull up it's data sheet. If it's
designed for panel mounting through a cutout, there should be cutout
dimensions.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks to all who responded.

I had been to Mouser and checked some Data sheets but they only showed
the body dimensions and not the cutouts.

Thanks for the links I will follow all of them up.

There has to be a standard for these. I cannot believe there are NEMA
patterns for just about any type of motor and nothing for DB-
connectors. Switch manufacturers all include panel cutouts. I
sincerely doubt I am the first person to need cutout dimensions.

As to the two who suggested measuring, take a look at a DB-25 and
notice the 10deg angle at the end. Care to hazard how to make an
accurate drawing of that? I want accurate and not just near enough.
Near enough may be good enough for you two, but not this little
cookie.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 25, 6:31 pm, "Michael A. Terrell"
wrote:

http://www.keyelco.com/pdfs/m55-comp-bkts.pdf

Perfect, thank you.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 25, 5:56 pm, Spehro Pefhany
wrote:

http://catalog.tycoelectronics.com/T...tImages/273800...

Excellent, thanks Sphero.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

http://catalog.tycoelectronics.com/T...tImages/273800...

Excellent, thanks Sphero.

Dave

How many of the holes are you making? I have a punch set I got in the
1970's from the old "Black Box" company. Made many adapters for
something, I don't remember now just what they were. If you have
interest, email me off line. I certainly have not had a need for it in
the last 20+ years!

Paul

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 27, 3:08 am, "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:
Thanks to all who responded.

As to the two who suggested measuring, take a look at a DB-25 and
notice the 10deg angle at the end. Care to hazard how to make an
accurate drawing of that? I want accurate and not just near enough.
Near enough may be good enough for you two, but not this little
cookie.

Dave

Erh - whats the problem? - basic layout principles......I did a unit
in this at school for precisely this sort of thing...
You can measure the length and breadth, use a protractor to get the
angles at each end, then use a radius gauge to get the curves...

And how many are you making? - if you are this fussy about a panel
cutout, its going to take you a LONG time.....and thats assuming you
can machine to the tolerances you seem to require...

Andrew VK3BFA.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 26, 1:08*pm, "Dave, I can't do that"
As to the two who suggested measuring, take a look at a DB-25 and
notice the 10deg angle at the end. Care to hazard how to make an
accurate drawing of that? I want accurate and not just near enough.
Near enough may be good enough for you two, but not this little
cookie.

Dave

I made a CAD drawing of one by measuring the radius of the corner and
length of the long side and placing two circles at that distance. I
moved the angled side guidelines to touch those circles, then placed
two more corner circles tangent to the sides and a bottom guideline.
Then I added clearance all around for the fillet between the body and
the D part. Measure a sample from the manufacturer you plan to use
because they aren't all identical to 0.001" and you have little room
to spare between the angle and the mounting hole.

The commercial hand punches, which are difficult to use, cut oversize.
I nearly destroyed one punching holes in 0.093" 6061 on a robot
chassis. The flat and the guide pins aren't enough to hold the punch
straight.

One of the many standard DB patterns is a square-ended hole matching
the wire side, with a notch for the mounting screws. These allow you
to put the connector outside the panel where the mounting standoffs
extent the right distance. When the connector is inside they prevent
the plug from fully mating. Be sure you can wiggle the wired connector
through the hole and don't have to assemble it in place.

Jim Wilkins
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks guys,

I am doing 6 but they are on the sides of an existing box so it is not
flat sheet. I am using a CNC bed mill so using the right dimensions
just makes good sense.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/3A927

I know I could reverse engineer one, but as I have stated, and now
find to be true, there must be some drawings out there. And indeed
there are.

Problem solved.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hi Paul,

Thanks for the offer but as you can see from my other reply, I need to
machine these suckers into the side of a metal box.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 27, 12:56*pm, "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:
Hi Paul,

Thanks for the offer but as you can see from my other reply, I need to
machine these suckers into the side of a metal box.

Dave

Ugh. If possible I saw out out the side of the box and machine the
connector holes on a flat cover plate.

A box like that can be set up fairly securely on a mill by cutting a
piece of plywood thicker than the cover lip to fit inside, and
clamping box and plywood to a shelf made of large angle plates. Extra
supports under the plates and the back end of the box don't hurt. I
mark the connector cutouts, drill near their centers and pull the
sheet metal tight against the plywood with wood screws. After milling
I reattach the screws with fender washers. Otherwise the cutter tends
to lift the sheet metal.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 25, 10:49*am, "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:
Hi,

I must be losing my Google search skills but I cannot find panel cut
out details for a female DB-25 plug.

Can someone please point me at a website that will have the cutout
dimensions?

Thanks

Dave

Just a couple of notes on this topic:
There is a lot of info out there on the panel cutout dimensions for
the DB-(x) family of connectors,
and my observation is that there is significant variation between one
source and another on the
dimensions, sometimes as much as .015" or .020". This stuff can almost
always be found on websites
of electronic parts distributors or sheet metal tooling vendors. You
kind of have to just pick one and
go with it (or, as Andrew noted dryly, just lay it out/design it
yourself, how hard can it be?)

The issue about the panel thickness is very real, in my personal
experience. My company suffered
through some long-running issues with equipment reliability due to the
on-again/off-again nature of
connection quality from these connectors being used with panels of .
09" thickness, without the benefit
of counterboring for the standard coupling nuts, or relieving the
panel thickness on the inside to get
the connector closer to the outside surface. I would not have the
effective thickness between the coupling
nut and the connector mounting flange any thicker than .045". This
will allow sufficient engagement of
pins into sockets for reliability. It works "OK" with .062, but
thicker is big trouble.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 28, 9:49 am, matt wrote:

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the detail, the customer has actually asked for the holes
to be counter-bored for exactly the reason you describe. The panels
are 0.081" thick and have had problems with the stand-offs preventing
full pin engagement in the past.

Thanks for mention it though.

Dave
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sep 27, 6:21 pm, Jim Wilkins wrote:

Hi Jim,

Thanks for the suggestions. I will try with a 1/8" carbide and see how
it goes. I have the box clamped to an angle plate.

Your suggestion for using the screw holes to hold it to a piece of
plywood is a great idea. If the bare cutter does cause serious
lifting, I will do that.

I have other cut outs to make on the same side so maybe I will just go
straight to the plywood inside. If there were a bunch of them I would
get a reverse helix end-mil that pushes the metal down. Fingers
crossed here.

I don't have the luxury of cutting a big hole and using a separate
panel, but that too is a good idea. I'll mention it.

Dave