Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default DB-25 Panel cutout dimensions

On Sep 26, 1:08*pm, "Dave, I can't do that"
As to the two who suggested measuring, take a look at a DB-25 and
notice the 10deg angle at the end. Care to hazard how to make an
accurate drawing of that? I want accurate and not just near enough.
Near enough may be good enough for you two, but not this little
cookie.

Dave

I made a CAD drawing of one by measuring the radius of the corner and
length of the long side and placing two circles at that distance. I
moved the angled side guidelines to touch those circles, then placed
two more corner circles tangent to the sides and a bottom guideline.
Then I added clearance all around for the fillet between the body and
the D part. Measure a sample from the manufacturer you plan to use
because they aren't all identical to 0.001" and you have little room
to spare between the angle and the mounting hole.

The commercial hand punches, which are difficult to use, cut oversize.
I nearly destroyed one punching holes in 0.093" 6061 on a robot
chassis. The flat and the guide pins aren't enough to hold the punch
straight.

One of the many standard DB patterns is a square-ended hole matching
the wire side, with a notch for the mounting screws. These allow you
to put the connector outside the panel where the mounting standoffs
extent the right distance. When the connector is inside they prevent
the plug from fully mating. Be sure you can wiggle the wired connector
through the hole and don't have to assemble it in place.

Jim Wilkins