Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Default antique electrical cutout box

Has anyone seen a cutout box like this or ever hear of the manufacturer,
Bonnell?
This came from the attic of a house that predates electric wiring. It was
mounted in the attic, which was where the service, 30 amp 120 volt, entered
the house, which was fairly typical for early house wiring, but I've never
seen a cutout box like this. Its made of thin cast iron, with preformed 1/2
inch knockouts. The fuse block is not original.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...s/DSCN1826.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...s/DSCN1828.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...s/DSCN1829.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...s/DSCN1827.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...s/DSCN1831.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair

Nice find Roy, but I've never seen anything like that. I have seen the
attic service entrance a few times, but the fuse box was always the newer
formed metal kind.

Try posting he http://www.forumelectric.com/ Someone may recognize it.

You can try here also: http://www.elec-toolbox.com/main.html

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Has anyone seen a cutout box like this or ever hear of the manufacturer,
Bonnell?
This came from the attic of a house that predates electric wiring. It was
mounted in the attic, which was where the service, 30 amp 120 volt,

entered
the house, which was fairly typical for early house wiring, but I've never
seen a cutout box like this. Its made of thin cast iron, with preformed

1/2
inch knockouts. The fuse block is not original.

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...s/DSCN1826.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...s/DSCN1828.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...s/DSCN1829.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...s/DSCN1827.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b9...s/DSCN1831.jpg

Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM RBM is offline

Me too, typical steel, painted black or silver, hinge cover box. I'm
thinking that this may have been intended for something more civilized like
telephone equipment. If it didn't have the knockouts, I would think
something other than electrical altogether. I had contacted David Shapiro,
who wrote "Old Electric Wiring", but he's never seen it either

"John Grabowski" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair

I have seen one like this in Evanston, IL in an old house, pre 1900.
The wiring was knob and tube and there were fuses but not the modern
porcelain ones you show. These were Bakelite and as I recall there were
knife switches to cut the circuits. Your box is a lot fancier than the
one I saw that was just plain and not cast.
There must have been 7 chimneys in this place with what looked like
coal or coke heaters in all of them. Most were walled off.
Richard