Squanklin

Default Warped Antique Box Top - Help!

I have an antique jewelry box, and the lid won't shut because it is
warped. (The front right corner rises about 1/2" above the top of the
box body.)

The wood is stained medium-dark, and I'm pretty sure the box is
veneered, not solid wood.

How can I get the lid back into shape without damaging the finish? Can
I simply clamp it between two flat boards or metal panels and slowly
tighten? How long will it take for the wood to recognize its new
shape? Will I need to use moisture? Can I use moisture without
messing up the finish?

Many thanks for the advice!
Squanklin

mike hide

"Squanklin" wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an antique jewelry box, and the lid won't shut because it is
warped. (The front right corner rises about 1/2" above the top of the
box body.)

The wood is stained medium-dark, and I'm pretty sure the box is
veneered, not solid wood.

How can I get the lid back into shape without damaging the finish? Can
I simply clamp it between two flat boards or metal panels and slowly
tighten? How long will it take for the wood to recognize its new
shape? Will I need to use moisture? Can I use moisture without
messing up the finish?

Many thanks for the advice!
Squanklin

Got bad news ,there is virtually no way to remove a warp in the box top,
being in the antique business in an earlier life I have tried many
times...mjh

Will

Would steaming -- then bending on a form help? Just curious -- anyone
tried that?

mike hide wrote:
ups.com...

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek
Squanklin

Thanks, Will. I wondered about that, but would the moisture damage the
finish or potentially the glue holding the veneer? Anyone with more
experience than me have any thoughts about that?

Will

Squanklin wrote:
Thanks, Will. I wondered about that, but would the moisture damage the
finish

Good chance of that. Most times with antiques (and cars) people value
the _original_ finish. It might be worth more now "damaged" than repaired.

or potentially the glue holding the veneer?

If it is veneer -- then yes.

Anyone with more
experience than me have any thoughts about that?

Any action is high risk. What is the value of the piece? That is what I
would look at - risk vs reward.

Best advice I can give is put your feet up and think --and -- collect
some more opinions from people who can physically examine the box.

Can you take a digital photo and post it somehow? On a web site or on
news://altbinaries.pictures.woodworking ?

You could probably get better ideas then.

--
Will
Occasional Techno-geek

warped saw blade? GBannish Woodworking 3 January 11th 05 04:31 PM
warped platter-dry wood! [email protected] Woodturning 15 January 5th 05 01:06 AM
Finish for Antique Furniture Campbell Freeman Woodworking 8 March 19th 04 04:01 PM
"antique nickel" screws? blue Home Repair 13 February 20th 04 04:34 PM
fixeda Antique mantle clock jim Metalworking 3 January 31st 04 02:01 AM