Posted to alt.home.repair
';'%?PF ;/l.

Default Remove electrical box?

I have several rooms where the light switch controls a wall socket
instead of a ceiling fixture. I would like to have the wall switch
control a ceiling fixture instead. To do this I need to remove the
existing metal switch box and replace it with a plastic "old work"
switch box.

What is the easiest way to remove the old metal switch box doing as
little damage to the wall as possible? So far I have tried cutting the
box out with a saber saw, but have not found a blade that will do it.
How would an electrician do this job?

Posted to alt.home.repair
zxcvbob

';'%?PF ;/l. wrote:
I have several rooms where the light switch controls a wall socket
instead of a ceiling fixture. I would like to have the wall switch
control a ceiling fixture instead. To do this I need to remove the
existing metal switch box and replace it with a plastic "old work"
switch box.

What is the easiest way to remove the old metal switch box doing as
little damage to the wall as possible? So far I have tried cutting the
box out with a saber saw, but have not found a blade that will do it.
How would an electrician do this job?

Cut thru the nails using a SawsAll with a thin bimetal blade?

Bob
Posted to alt.home.repair

theres no need to remove the box, just add a cable from a outlet to the
light fixture location. the outlets already have power availble this
will work fine if you dont mind the wall wswitch still controlling the
outlet too?

Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

"';'%?PF ;/l." wrote in message
ps.com...
I have several rooms where the light switch controls a wall socket
instead of a ceiling fixture. I would like to have the wall switch
control a ceiling fixture instead. To do this I need to remove the
existing metal switch box and replace it with a plastic "old work"
switch box.

What is the easiest way to remove the old metal switch box doing as
little damage to the wall as possible? So far I have tried cutting the
box out with a saber saw, but have not found a blade that will do it.
How would an electrician do this job?

He would tear a hole in your wall and charge extra to fix it later or leave
it to you to patch the drywall if you insisted to save money. Or he would
install the box in a different location and disconnect and abandon in place
the old box.

I would try to pry the box from the stud a little then use a hack saw blade
to cut the nails.

Posted to alt.home.repair
John Grabowski

"';'%?PF ;/l." wrote in message
ps.com...
I have several rooms where the light switch controls a wall socket
instead of a ceiling fixture. I would like to have the wall switch
control a ceiling fixture instead. To do this I need to remove the
existing metal switch box and replace it with a plastic "old work"
switch box.

What is the easiest way to remove the old metal switch box doing as
little damage to the wall as possible? So far I have tried cutting the
box out with a saber saw, but have not found a blade that will do it.
How would an electrician do this job?

I responded to a similar question several months ago. Check out the
in size than the plastic remodel box that you will be installing. That is
good because you can go ahead and cut the existing hole for the new box
before you remove the old box. That will give you more room to remove the
old box. Just take your time in doing this. Try to avoid using power tools
as they will just screw up the wall.

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...edc517dfc134d1

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.h...405a28be756a57

John Grabowski
http://www.mrelectrician.tv

Posted to alt.home.repair

Maybe its me

So you have a existing switch servicing wall outlets? do these rooms
have a overhead light?

If they dont you install the overhead box and light and run the power
cable to one of the existing outlets and connect it to the receptable
thats powered by the switch. theres no reason to remove any existing
boxes as long as theres room to add the cable to the existing
receptable box

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

On 22 Mar 2006 14:10:12 -0800, "';'%?PF ;/l."
wrote:

I have several rooms where the light switch controls a wall socket
instead of a ceiling fixture. I would like to have the wall switch
control a ceiling fixture instead. To do this I need to remove the
existing metal switch box and replace it with a plastic "old work"
switch box.

What is the easiest way to remove the old metal switch box doing as
little damage to the wall as possible? So far I have tried cutting the

I'll tell you what I did. I didn't do that. I put in a second box
and a second switch to control the ceiling fixture. That way I still
have the benefit of the first switch.

I put the second switch above the first -- same in both rooms -- so
there was almost almost an inch between the bottom wall plate and the
top one.

I have the best of both worlds, and no effort expended undoing what
the original electrician did.

box out with a saber saw, but have not found a blade that will do it.
How would an electrician do this job?

Posted to alt.home.repair

Don't remove anything. When I did this I added a new ceiling box for
the light fixture, and ran a cable from the switched outlet to the
ceiling box. At the same time I converted the wall outlet to a regular
always on outlet. Why would you want to remove that?

Posted to alt.home.repair

I had a friend and did some wiring for them.

They wanted to remove and reuse boxes to save waste

I spent way too long explining their idea was a loser

They wallpapered over a workbox to save the cost of a blank cover.

UNREAL CHEAP