Mr Fixit eh

Default Get Good Electrical Advice

I'm with Robatoy on this one. I've watched his recent thread and
enjoyed the great humor.

In my humble opinion, as wRECers, we should *not* be giving out
electrical advice. This is not a moderated forum, and although many
give out perfectly code-compliant answers, just as many give out
answers that are apt to kill people or burn down the house.

Although I am capable of giving a code-compliant answer for most
electrical questions that come up here, I will no longer do so. I will
instead begin promoting two moderated forums :

http://www.selfhelpforums.com/=ADfor...lay.php?f=3D12

and

http://forum.doityourself.com/=ADfor...D1&so=ADrt=3D=
lastpo...

These forums are moderated by rock-solid electrical professionals, so
you will always get the right answer.

Steve

Doug Miller

In article .com, "Mr Fixit eh" wrote:

Although I am capable of giving a code-compliant answer for most
electrical questions that come up here, I will no longer do so.

Please reconsider; or at least, every time someone posts an electrical
question, direct him to those forums - otherwise, we wind up with the Usenet
version of Gresham's Law, with the bad advice driving out the good.

--
Regards,

Tim Douglass

On Tue, 17 May 2005 16:44:51 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article .com, "Mr Fixit eh" wrote:

Although I am capable of giving a code-compliant answer for most
electrical questions that come up here, I will no longer do so.

Please reconsider; or at least, every time someone posts an electrical
question, direct him to those forums - otherwise, we wind up with the Usenet
version of Gresham's Law, with the bad advice driving out the good.

I fully agree - and I think it odd that Gresham's Law was the word of
the day on my e-mail.

I strongly encourage anyone considering doing any wiring get a copy of
"Wiring Simplified". It is not a complete explanation of everything,
but if you read it and understand what it is saying you can do most
common wiring tasks safely. If you don't understand it you shouldn't
do *any* wiring tasks. I frequently reference it for my own work and
for answers on the group. Probably would be good to mention that I am
quoting the book when I do, just to add credibility to my answers.

The way to prevent bad advice on usenet is to overwhelm it with
correct answers and to bludgeon the wrong answers. Never let a wrong
or unsafe answer go unchallenged. I don't do much of that, since I
generally avoid all electrical threads unless they deal with something
I actually know something about - which is basic house and shop wiring
only.

--
"We need to make a sacrifice to the gods, find me a young virgin... oh, and bring something to kill"

Tim Douglass

http://www.DouglassClan.com
BobS

Good points but also consider that anyone taking advice from a *recreational
woodworking newsgroup* should also be aware that the answers they receive
may or may not be good or even close to being correct - and why would you
ever believe it to begin with? Didn't anyone notice the big sign at the
portal when they entered the rec - "Use at your own risk".

So I think it's kinda counterproductive offering or taking advice here
(whether you're an expert or not) - it simply can't be trusted (trolls,
misunderstandings, irrelevant input, grammar, spelling errors, etc.).
Asking where to find valid info is something else - now we can probably help
and often do provide references - as you did below.

Offering opinions, experiences and tall stories is about the best it gets
here and if anyone believes differently - you're asking for trouble. Good
intentions can get people hurt and blindly believing what one reads here
can get you killed. So why argue about how many volts/amps it takes to kill
you - as you saw recently, lot's of advice and it's validity were
challenged.

Bob S.

"Mr Fixit eh" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm with Robatoy on this one. I've watched his recent thread and
enjoyed the great humor.

In my humble opinion, as wRECers, we should *not* be giving out
electrical advice. This is not a moderated forum, and although many
give out perfectly code-compliant answers, just as many give out
answers that are apt to kill people or burn down the house.

Although I am capable of giving a code-compliant answer for most
electrical questions that come up here, I will no longer do so. I will
instead begin promoting two moderated forums :

http://www.selfhelpforums.com/*forumdisplay.php?f=12

and

http://forum.doityourself.com/*forum...1&so*rt=lastpo...