Default Any good advice on building a shade terrace

I've been asked to build a shade terrace for a friend and would appreciate any helpful advice, tips
or ideas.

Firstly, I haven't had much luck finding descriptive plans on shade terraces. I did browse many
books on terraces and what not at a variety of places. Funny enough even books on terraces only
have one or two terrace photos and a lot of other near related projects. What's up with that? Hmph!!

I'm leaning away from using a lattice/trellis, just doesn't wear or weather well. I was thinking about
using 1x2's 1-2" apart across the top. They are thick and fairly cheap and I'd imagine they shouldn't warp
much. Any other reasonably cheap but solid ideas? shade cloth isn't an option..

I've seen many different types of joint brackets for where rafters meet the end cross support beam. Which
should I use? What size end cross support wood should I use? a 4x4 or 4x6? or ?
Should rafters extend past the end cross support beam?
Which post anchors or Caps should I consider?

overall dimensions to accomodate a 8x21' concrete slab right outside two sliding doors.
They originally had nice awnings until the wind got a hold of em.

questions/considerations for parts list

rafters spacing? 21 feet worth using 2x4's 10-15? should they extend an extra 1ft(8ft+1ft=9ftlong) on top cross support beam
supporting posts for end cross beam over 21 feet? 4x4's7 feet apart sound ok? 3 ea.?
end cross beam atop 4x4 posts to support rafters 4x4 or 4x6's? to overhang the sides a foot a good idea?
rafter brackets to attach to exterior wall of house via a 2x6x21?
what type attaching brackets for rafters to end cross support beam?
screws or nails ok?
for the most part a mitre/table saw,drill/hammer be all I need? I've seen some terraces use bolts. Necessary?

hmn I think that about covers most my concerns. Have any Ideas, pics or plans??

Much appreciated for any suggestions

Thanks,
Dan