Art Vandeliegh

Default Bury electrical box

Hi, I'm moving some electrical around for a kitchen remodel and I wonder if
it's ok to bury a steel junction box behind the sheetrock.
Toller

"Art Vandeliegh" wrote in message
Hi, I'm moving some electrical around for a kitchen remodel and I wonder
if
it's ok to bury a steel junction box behind the sheetrock.

You know it isn't; why ask?

Art Vandeliegh

"Toller" wrote in
:

"Art Vandeliegh" wrote in message
Hi, I'm moving some electrical around for a kitchen remodel and I
wonder if
it's ok to bury a steel junction box behind the sheetrock.

You know it isn't; why ask?

I wasn't sure. That's why I asked. Thanks for the info.

Hi, I'm moving some electrical around for a kitchen remodel and I wonder if
it's ok to bury a steel junction box behind the sheetrock.

No, but you can flush-mount a single or double-gang switch box and put
a blank cover on it. That or install an access panel.

Better yet, question why you need a j-box in that location. If
possible, rough out the right length wire(s) to/from their termination
points. More work and might be a PITA, but no oddly placed j-box to
worry about.

No

Like others have said, no your not supposed to. Can you make it an
outlet location versus a blank? That would be my preference if you cant
run an entire new wire.

I have burried a box once but it was the only way to do the project w/o
significant major headaches. Yea yea think of that guy trying to
troubleshoot something down the road and what a pain it would be. Sorry
if thats they guy reading this someday. I did use a box, a cover, wire
nuts and electrical tape. I suppose I could have also soldered and used
heat shrink tape for an even better connection but oh well. I don't
live there any more. Blank or outlet were not an option (It was under a
sub floor, under carpet)

Noozer

wrote in message
On Mon, 17 Oct 2005 14:09:10 -0500, Art Vandeliegh
wrote:

Hi, I'm moving some electrical around for a kitchen remodel and I wonder
if
it's ok to bury a steel junction box behind the sheetrock.

You do NOT want to bury ANY electrical box, regardless of how difficult it
would be to avoid. Pull a new piece of wire, or install the box so it is
positioned out of sight - in a closet, in a cabinet, behind an appliance,
etc. OR turn it into a outlet, etc.

buffalobill

no.
don't forget to insulate all walls while you're in there for heat and
noise.