Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] kv888831393ster@gmail.com is offline

Default antique electrical cutout box

I have seen one like this in Evanston, IL in an old house, pre 1900.
The wiring was knob and tube and there were fuses but not the modern
porcelain ones you show. These were Bakelite and as I recall there were
knife switches to cut the circuits. Your box is a lot fancier than the
one I saw that was just plain and not cast.
There must have been 7 chimneys in this place with what looked like
coal or coke heaters in all of them. Most were walled off.
Richard

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
Has anyone seen a cutout box like this or ever hear of the manufacturer,
Bonnell?
This came from the attic of a house that predates electric wiring. It was
mounted in the attic, which was where the service, 30 amp 120 volt,

entered
the house, which was fairly typical for early house wiring, but I've
never
seen a cutout box like this. Its made of thin cast iron, with preformed

1/2
inch knockouts. The fuse block is not original.