Posted to alt.home.repair

Default cooktop cutout too large?

Replaced a 30 year old electric cooktop about 18 months ago with a
smooth ceramic one. Had trouble at the time finding a cooktop that
would fit in the oversized hole. Eventually ended up with Kitchenaid
that had a 1/4-3/8" overlap around all four sides. Yesterday it
cracked all the way across the short edge after a timer dropped onto
one corner. Question is: could the glass have had undue stress from
the weight load on the small overlap, making the crack likely to happen
again with the slightest drop? Was this a crack waiting to happen? We
have to decide whether to replace the glass (about $300) or go back to
an electric coil cooktop for about the same amount. Anyone have
experience with this?

Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

wrote in message
Was this a crack waiting to happen?

May have been, glass is funny that way. Stress or scratch it today, break
it with just a touch a month later.

Posted to alt.home.repair

What material would you recommend be used to install additional support from below to reduce the size of the cooktop cut-out hole? Our granite cut-out is a bit too large for the new cooktop we want to purchase.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ge-119600-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 11, 2021 at 9:45:08 AM UTC-4, Marilyn wrote:
What material would you recommend be used to install additional support from below to reduce the size of the cooktop cut-out hole? Our granite cut-out is a bit too large for the new cooktop we want to purchase.

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ge-119600-.htm

Does it need anything at all? How much cooktop will extend beyond the cutout?
How much does the cooktop weigh? From a practical standpoint about all that I
can see that you could easily do would be to cut some L shaped wood pieces to fit
which extend a few inches out and then up into the opening and then
use construction adhesive to anchor them to the bottom of the granite.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Marilyn wrote

What material would you recommend be used to install additional support
from below to reduce the size of the cooktop cut-out hole? Our granite
cut-out is a bit too large for the new cooktop we want to purchase.

Unlikely he is still reading after 14 years.

Not clear that anything would work well.
Car body filler might.

--
For full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ge-119600-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default More Heavy Trolling by the Senile Octogenarian Nym-Shifting Ozzie Cretin!

On Wed, 12 May 2021 04:47:37 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Unlikely he is still reading after 14 years.

But very likely that YOU trolling self-important senile asshole will comment
on EVERY SINGLE such post anyway!

--
Richard addressing senile Rodent Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 11 May 2021 13:45:02 +0000, Marilyn
wrote:

What material would you recommend be used to install additional support from below to reduce the size of the cooktop cut-out hole? Our granite cut-out is a bit too large for the new cooktop we want to purchase.

What do you call a bit?

All 4 sides.

In inches.

This is not Twitter. People are free to give all the relevant
information, and they should.

Does the stove company offer a larger escutcheon or anything else for
this purpose? Check with them first.

I don't have granite. Is there anything underneath the granite, like
wood (how thick?), or is it just granite all the time?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 May 2021 13:45:02 +0000, Marilyn posted for all of us to digest...

What material would you recommend be used to install additional support from below to reduce the size of the cooktop cut-out hole? Our granite cut-out is a bit too large for the new cooktop we want to purchase.

I would advise asking the company the installed the countertop.

--
Tekkie