Old February 23rd 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Impact wrench torque

"mark" wrote in message
I bought what is apparently the most powerful 1/2" drive impact wrench
available IR 2135 with 1000 ftlb or torque and am still finding it
weak. The other day it would not remove the bolts that hold on my
front brake caliper bracket and sometimes it wll not remove lugnuts. I
am using it at 125psi with 50' of 3/8" hose and 1/4" M (milton) quick
connects). Would going to 3/8" qc fittings help at all? I notived a
local tire shop has the air pressure at 150 psi. Is this what is
needed? How come air tools say never to go above 90 psi?

When my impact seems weak I give it a shot of air tool oil. It works
wonders.
Steve

Old February 23rd 08, 11:47 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Dan is offline

We ran a steam pump this week on a steam hose. We were connected to
110 psi steam manifold then ran a 50' 3/4" steam hose. The
conglomeration of fittings we came up with was a mixture of 3/4" and
1" fittings going up and down in size. Three elbows I think. With all
the vales wide open, we only had 40 psi at the little turbine. We just
wanted to run it a little and it ran fine, but there sure was a lot of
pressure drop there.
In theory, if you ran long enough 1/4" hoses, the gun wouldn't run at
all. Use big hose and then a short whip, 6' of 3/8" at the gun will
help tremendously. Of course, 1/2" hose is expensive.

Old February 24th 08, 01:19 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in message
On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 06:12:46 -0800 (PST), mark
wrote:

I bought what is apparently the most powerful 1/2" drive impact wrench
available IR 2135 with 1000 ftlb or torque and am still finding it
weak. The other day it would not remove the bolts that hold on my
front brake caliper bracket and sometimes it wll not remove lugnuts. I
am using it at 125psi with 50' of 3/8" hose and 1/4" M (milton) quick
connects). Would going to 3/8" qc fittings help at all? I notived a
local tire shop has the air pressure at 150 psi. Is this what is
needed? How come air tools say never to go above 90 psi?

If you can't do this, consider a 5-gallon or better receiver tank as
an accumulator right next to the workplace and the impact wrench - put
the biggest hose you can from the wrench to the accumulator, and then
plumb that to your regular compressor. It will give you a burst of
full flow and full power to break the nuts loose, then you'll hit the
existing air system restrictions.

-- Bruce --

I use a small air brake tank salvaged from a military water buffalo for just
that. The tank is something like 6" in diameter and 8" long with ports on
each bell end. I have quick disconnects on each end and the air wrench
attaches right to the tank. I use this setup on my 3/4" impact and it makes
ALL the difference. With this setup I don't have to upgrade my 3/8" air
line for the 3/4" impact wrench. It's kinda neat listening to the tank
refill after each trigger pull, which proves that the air line is undersized
/ overly restricted for the amount of air being demanded.

Shawn

Old February 24th 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

I bought what is apparently the most powerful 1/2" drive impact wrench
available IR 2135 with 1000 ftlb or torque and am still finding it
weak. The other day it would not remove the bolts that hold on my
front brake caliper bracket and sometimes it wll not remove lugnuts. I
am using it at 125psi with 50' of 3/8" hose and 1/4" M (milton) quick
connects). Would going to 3/8" qc fittings help at all? I notived a
local tire shop has the air pressure at 150 psi. Is this what is
needed? How come air tools say never to go above 90 psi?

On that IR impact, 3/8 fittings and 150psi WILL help. So will 1/2"
hose at that length. The 2135 is a decent impact, but I still like my
OLD CP better (can't remember for sure but I think it is a 734?) It is
slower than the IR but I have found it more effective, while braking
fewer studs. Just my experience.

Old February 24th 08, 02:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 08:37:42 -0800 (PST), Brent
wrote:

On Feb 23, 9:12 am, mark wrote:
I bought what is apparently the most powerful 1/2" drive impact wrench
available IR 2135 with 1000 ftlb or torque and am still finding it
weak. The other day it would not remove the bolts that hold on my
front brake caliper bracket and sometimes it wll not remove lugnuts. I
am using it at 125psi with 50' of 3/8" hose and 1/4" M (milton) quick
connects). Would going to 3/8" qc fittings help at all? I notived a
local tire shop has the air pressure at 150 psi. Is this what is
needed? How come air tools say never to go above 90 psi?

the tire shop does not likely run the tools at 150PSI but if the shop
has or had air lifts or air tire changers they might be operating at
150psi. at the tool ports there is likely a secondary regulator to
drop it down to 90 or thereaboutsbut the entire shop can be run off of
the single two stage beast and the branch line for the tools is
regulated down further than the primary machines

I never reduced the pressure on my impacts from the 150 shop line
pressure. Mine DID have a "power" adjustment that allowed me to dial
the wrench back for assembling, and dial it up for dissassembling.

The 1000 ft lb spec is instantanious torque, not average or mean
torque, and the high shock torque is what an "IMPACT" wrench is all
about. And yes, if a 1/2" wheel stud is severely rusted to the nut,
the impact WILL twist off the stud. So you punch it out and put in a
new one, with a new nut. That's how the job has to be done sometimes.

Old February 24th 08, 02:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 11:46:26 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

In article
,
mark wrote:

I bought what is apparently the most powerful 1/2" drive impact wrench
available IR 2135 with 1000 ftlb of torque and am still finding it
weak.

What torque is your arm rated for? It seems unlikely that any human can
put a 1000# push on a handheld tool that might be 12" in diameter at
most.

Joe Gwinn

The mass of the wrench absorbs the "instantanious torque" or "impact".
Mean torque, or average torque, may be as little as 100-150 ft lbs and
still have a 1000 ft lb rating - without stretching things at all (or
very little)

Old February 24th 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 09:52:17 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 11:03:19 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, F.
George McDuffee quickly quoth:

wrote:

What torque is your arm rated for? It seems unlikely that any human can
put a 1000# push on a handheld tool that might be 12" in diameter at
most.

==============
There is a reason these are called *IMPACT* guns

Yabbut, methinks the 1,000# figure is calculated using Searz Foot
Pounds. I doubt a 1/2" gun would do better than 300, with a 3/4 or 1"
drive capable of doing up to 1k.

Yabbut, yathinks wrong.
---
Every moment is a golden one
for him who has the vision to recognize it as such.
-- Henry Miller

Old February 24th 08, 05:15 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

bernouli equations will give you the formal answer to your query - a less
formal answer is 'pressure drop"

"NoOne N Particular" wrote in message
news
mark wrote:
I bought what is apparently the most powerful 1/2" drive impact wrench
available IR 2135 with 1000 ftlb or torque and am still finding it
weak. The other day it would not remove the bolts that hold on my
front brake caliper bracket and sometimes it wll not remove lugnuts. I
am using it at 125psi with 50' of 3/8" hose and 1/4" M (milton) quick
connects). Would going to 3/8" qc fittings help at all? I notived a
local tire shop has the air pressure at 150 psi. Is this what is
needed? How come air tools say never to go above 90 psi?

I was just looking at the specs for the 2135TiMAX and noticed that the
specs say minimum hose size is 3/8", but the air inlet is only 1/4". Air
consumption is listed as 5 cfm, but it does not give an air pressure.

Anyway, if the air inlet is 1/4", why would it help to put on 3/8" qc?

Wayne

Old February 24th 08, 07:36 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

NoOne N Particular writes:

I was just looking at the specs for the 2135TiMAX and noticed that the
specs say minimum hose size is 3/8", but the air inlet is only
1/4". Air consumption is listed as 5 cfm, but it does not give an air
pressure.

Anyway, if the air inlet is 1/4", why would it help to put on 3/8" qc?

Because you're having a lot of air available upstream of a relatively
short section that's only 1/4".
Old February 24th 08, 01:40 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:07:01 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
clare at snyder.on.ca quickly quoth:

wrote:

Yabbut, methinks the 1,000# figure is calculated using Searz Foot
Pounds. I doubt a 1/2" gun would do better than 300, with a 3/4 or 1"
drive capable of doing up to 1k.

Yabbut, yathinks wrong.

That was deep and enlightening. snort

OK, checking online, CP (my recollection of the finest product) shows
their top of the line 1/2" impact gun, the CP 749-2, putting out 625
ft# of torque. That amazes me.

I still think the 1000# is a bunch of marketing ****. Air gun
technology doesn't appear to have changed much since I was using them
on a daily basis.

---
Every moment is a golden one
for him who has the vision to recognize it as such.
-- Henry Miller

Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Don Foreman Metalworking 0 January 23rd 08 07:30 AM
Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 0 January 21st 08 10:51 PM
Torque wrench nthng2snet UK diy 10 April 3rd 05 10:29 AM
What's a torque wrench? Claudia Home Repair 30 June 1st 04 03:28 AM
Seeking source for torque wrench extensions djl Metalworking 19 December 13th 03 11:27 PM