Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Impact wrench torque

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 17:16:19 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Dan@
(Dan ) quickly quoth:

What is the difference between Nut Busting torque and traditional
torque?

Traditional torque is measured with clean, lightly lubed threads. Nut
busting torque is that which will break the corrosion of a frozen nut
and bolt/stud.

Back in my wrenchin' days, I learned to try tightening before
loosening a seemingly stuck combo. That often proved to be the winning
solution. For the oddly stubborn lots, the pipe extension on a good
breaker bar would nearly always work. For the truly stubborn bitch,
nothing worked and the stud broke with the nut intact. Sometimes
that's truly OK. Then draw in a new stud using moly grease and a pair
of washers, with the new lug nut backwards, the flat toward the
washers. Piece o' cake, duck soup.

I have an older I/R impact wrench that will break off 1/2 bolts all
day long on 125psi. Gotta be carefull with the one I got.
I think you need to feed it more air. larger air hose and larger
fittings, shorter air hose also.

Ditto. It sounds as if the hefty tool is being starved so it's not
putting out the torque it's capable of giving.

---
Every moment is a golden one
for him who has the vision to recognize it as such.
-- Henry Miller