Old February 23rd 08, 02:12 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Impact wrench torque

I bought what is apparently the most powerful 1/2" drive impact wrench
available IR 2135 with 1000 ftlb or torque and am still finding it
weak. The other day it would not remove the bolts that hold on my
front brake caliper bracket and sometimes it wll not remove lugnuts. I
am using it at 125psi with 50' of 3/8" hose and 1/4" M (milton) quick
connects). Would going to 3/8" qc fittings help at all? I notived a
local tire shop has the air pressure at 150 psi. Is this what is
needed? How come air tools say never to go above 90 psi?

Old February 23rd 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
MK1 MK1 is offline

I think there is a decimal point missing. You would not want to put a
1000 ft lbs through a 1/2" drive. A 1000 ft lbs will snap off stuck lugnuts.

Old February 23rd 08, 04:37 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 23, 9:12 am, mark wrote:
I bought what is apparently the most powerful 1/2" drive impact wrench
available IR 2135 with 1000 ftlb or torque and am still finding it
weak. The other day it would not remove the bolts that hold on my
front brake caliper bracket and sometimes it wll not remove lugnuts. I
am using it at 125psi with 50' of 3/8" hose and 1/4" M (milton) quick
connects). Would going to 3/8" qc fittings help at all? I notived a
local tire shop has the air pressure at 150 psi. Is this what is
needed? How come air tools say never to go above 90 psi?

the tire shop does not likely run the tools at 150PSI but if the shop
has or had air lifts or air tire changers they might be operating at
150psi. at the tool ports there is likely a secondary regulator to
drop it down to 90 or thereaboutsbut the entire shop can be run off of
the single two stage beast and the branch line for the tools is
regulated down further than the primary machines
Old February 23rd 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In article
,
mark wrote:

I bought what is apparently the most powerful 1/2" drive impact wrench
available IR 2135 with 1000 ftlb of torque and am still finding it
weak.

What torque is your arm rated for? It seems unlikely that any human can
put a 1000# push on a handheld tool that might be 12" in diameter at
most.

Joe Gwinn

Old February 23rd 08, 05:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"mark" wrote in message
I bought what is apparently the most powerful 1/2" drive impact wrench
available IR 2135 with 1000 ftlb or torque and am still finding it
weak. The other day it would not remove the bolts that hold on my
front brake caliper bracket and sometimes it wll not remove lugnuts. I
am using it at 125psi with 50' of 3/8" hose and 1/4" M (milton) quick
connects). Would going to 3/8" qc fittings help at all? I notived a
local tire shop has the air pressure at 150 psi. Is this what is
needed? How come air tools say never to go above 90 psi?

Mark

In theory the bigger QC will help, I am using a IR2132 (700 ft-lb rated)
with 1/4 QC. Other things to check.
1) Is the tool oiled. Air tool oil not only makes them last longer it makes
them work better. I put in a couple of drops every time I connect up the
any of my air tools to the hose.
2) Are you using any extensions? In my experience every extension, swivel,
or adapter I put on the Impact wrench seems to reduce the force applied at
the bolt or nut.
3) Are all controls on the gun set to max? (sorry had to ask) On my IR2132
the power control only seems to affect the tightening function not the
loosening function, your may be different.
4) is you air compressor tank at the bottom of the pressure range? On tough
bolts, I run the impact wrench until the air compressor kicks on, then wait
until it stops and I have max pressure in the tank. The difference in
performance between 90 and 125 PSI is significant.

The only time my IR2132 has not been able move things was a harmonic
balancer bolt, where I needed an extension and a 1/2 to 3/4 adapter to
reach. It struggled on one very rusty set of lug nuts on a truck I bought
that the previous owner appears to run on the beach every weekend. I had to
use the cycle the compressor trick in that case.

Carl Boyd

Old February 23rd 08, 05:00 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

mark wrote:
I bought what is apparently the most powerful 1/2" drive impact wrench
available IR 2135 with 1000 ftlb or torque and am still finding it
weak. The other day it would not remove the bolts that hold on my
front brake caliper bracket and sometimes it wll not remove lugnuts. I
am using it at 125psi with 50' of 3/8" hose and 1/4" M (milton) quick
connects). Would going to 3/8" qc fittings help at all? I notived a
local tire shop has the air pressure at 150 psi. Is this what is
needed? How come air tools say never to go above 90 psi?- Hide quoted text -

Check out the specs

http://www.toolking.com/ingersollrand_ir-2135ti.aspx

Old February 23rd 08, 05:03 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 11:46:26 -0500, Joseph Gwinn
wrote:

What torque is your arm rated for? It seems unlikely that any human can
put a 1000# push on a handheld tool that might be 12" in diameter at
most.

==============
There is a reason these are called *IMPACT* guns

Old February 23rd 08, 05:07 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"mark" wrote in message
I bought what is apparently the most powerful 1/2" drive impact wrench
available IR 2135 with 1000 ftlb or torque and am still finding it
weak. The other day it would not remove the bolts that hold on my
front brake caliper bracket and sometimes it wll not remove lugnuts. I
am using it at 125psi with 50' of 3/8" hose and 1/4" M (milton) quick
connects). Would going to 3/8" qc fittings help at all? I notived a
local tire shop has the air pressure at 150 psi. Is this what is
needed? How come air tools say never to go above 90 psi?

Probaby going to the 3/8 fittings would help some, but you have a high air
consumption tool there and though the pressure provided by your compressor
may be adequate likely the air flow output is not. I have an IR 231 I use
with a 2.5 HP compressor, and have had no trouble with any lugnut or
caliper bolt I've used it on. It works well on the relatively low cfm of my
compressor, much better than the cheapo CH one I had before it. Mind you,
I've used it on nothing bigger than the lugnuts of a 3/4 ton GM van.

Old February 23rd 08, 05:10 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Feb 23, 9:12 am, mark wrote:
I bought what is apparently the most powerful 1/2" drive impact wrench
available IR 2135 with 1000 ftlb or torque and am still finding it
weak. The other day it would not remove the bolts that hold on my
front brake caliper bracket and sometimes it wll not remove lugnuts. I
am using it at 125psi with 50' of 3/8" hose and 1/4" M (milton) quick
connects). Would going to 3/8" qc fittings help at all? I notived a
local tire shop has the air pressure at 150 psi. Is this what is
needed? How come air tools say never to go above 90 psi?

http://www.irtools.com/IS/category.aspx-en-2844

someone sold you an impact with a marketing torque value the 2135's
top out at about 500 foot pounds in forward and 700 in reverse and
that will be in ideal conditions. and ideal conditions mean that your
arm doesnt twist on the impact blow
Old February 23rd 08, 05:16 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dan Dan is offline

What is the difference between Nut Busting torque and traditional
torque?
I have an older I/R impact wrench that will break off 1/2 bolts all
day long on 125psi. Gotta be carefull with the one I got.
I think you need to feed it more air. larger air hose and larger
fittings, shorter air hose also.

Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Don Foreman Metalworking 0 January 23rd 08 07:30 AM
Measuring torque on a motor with a leadscrew with a torque wrench Bob Engelhardt Metalworking 0 January 21st 08 10:51 PM
Torque wrench nthng2snet UK diy 10 April 3rd 05 10:29 AM
What's a torque wrench? Claudia Home Repair 30 June 1st 04 03:28 AM
Seeking source for torque wrench extensions djl Metalworking 19 December 13th 03 11:27 PM