Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Noble William Noble is offline

Default Impact wrench torque

"RoyJ" wrote in message
We use an IR 2135 to remove the center lug nut on a Porsche. These get
torqued to 340 foot pounds and left for a while, I figure breakaway torque
is around 500 foot pounds for removal. It won't do that on the little
compressor even if I charge it up to full 120 psi before pulling the
trigger. We usually do that job off of a N2 bottle regulated at 150 psi.
Even then it takes a few moments to see it start to loosen and move.

I suspect you need larger hoses. I have a 3" cutoff tool that runs fine in
the shop, does not work at all well in the garage even though the only
difference is 50' of 1/2" ID copper pipe.

when I pull those wheel nuts off my 356, I use a 3/4 inch breaker bar and a
10 ft length of 1 inch pipe -the pipe will usually bend but it takes it off
nicely - I suspect more than 500 ft/lbs. I had one of those nuts unscrew
once, shearing the cotter and working it into the threads - this allowed the
wheel to separate from the car, taking the brake drum with it - I was going
down hill at the time and trailed an impressive rooster tail of sparks as
the shock tower ground down on the freeway - never did figure out why it was
able to shear the cotter pin, but I will always remember the feeling of
torque steer that preceeded the final separation by about 5 seconds. Oh,
and with the old 356, when the rear wheel goes you have no brakes (single
hydraulic system), no emergency brake (mechanical differential) and no way
to downshift to slow down (because of the differential) so you just get to
ride it out - it's quite a feeling.