Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones Trevor Jones is offline

Default Impact wrench torque

Don Young wrote:

I have seen shops use a torque wrench after an impact wrench but they only
checked that the torque wrench would click in the tightening direction. In
other words, they did not check that the lugs might already be too tight
after using the impact wrench.

Effective use of a torque wrench in loosening tight fittings requires that
the whole assembly be very rigid. It takes only a short extension or a thin
socket to reduce the power significantly.

Don Young

There are "calibrated" extensions, too, that limit the torque by being
of different diameters. Harbour freight probably sells them in the US,
but I know that Princess Auto in Canada does.

Cheers
Trevor Jones