Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand Mark Rand is offline

Default Impact wrench torque

On Sat, 23 Feb 2008 21:00:11 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

I never reduced the pressure on my impacts from the 150 shop line
pressure. Mine DID have a "power" adjustment that allowed me to dial
the wrench back for assembling, and dial it up for dissassembling.

/RHETORICAL
How do you get accurate torque when assembling with an impact wrench?

The wheel nuts on my car require 81lb-ft of torque (put the wheels on today
after a brake job) they assemble and disassemble easily by hand. A shop uses
an impact wrench on them and they don't until they've undone them and re-done
them with a torque wrench! The crankshaft pulley needs 200lb-ft. Also a manual
job, just use a longer handle.

I can understand the use of an impact wrench for undoing truck wheel nuts, but
with anything less than 400 lb-ft I would question the use of power tools for
assembly. Much above that and I would be using a crane and balance. For large
bolts, I would be expecting to use either hydraulic bolts or heated bolts and
a micrometer, per the drawings.
/RHETORICAL

Am I being excessively picky?

Mark Rand