Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Lead (Pb) price continues to skyrocket

Lead is at $1.80/lb these days, up from 40 cents a year ago and 20 cents
five years ago.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical.html

What is the problem with world market for this metal?

Suddenly those neurotic hoards of old car batteries in the back yard don't
look so crazy.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Lead is at $1.80/lb these days, up from 40 cents a year ago and 20 cents
five years ago.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical.html

What is the problem with world market for this metal?

Suddenly those neurotic hoards of old car batteries in the back yard don't
look so crazy.

You're going to have to put a burglar alarm
on that sailboat keel of yours...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Apparently the Chinese are putting it in lipstick and paint for
toys.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Lead is at $1.80/lb these days, up from 40 cents a year ago and 20 cents
five years ago.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical.html

What is the problem with world market for this metal?

Suddenly those neurotic hoards of old car batteries in the back yard don't
look so crazy.

the chinese are using up all the lead to make paint for toys.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Jim Stewart wrote:

What is the problem with world market for this metal?

Suddenly those neurotic hoards of old car batteries in the back yard don't
look so crazy.

You're going to have to put a burglar alarm
on that sailboat keel of yours...

Somehow I don't think the metal thieves will be going after gunners or my
backstops.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 10:00:52 -0700, Jim Stewart
wrote:

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Lead is at $1.80/lb these days, up from 40 cents a year ago and 20 cents
five years ago.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical.html

What is the problem with world market for this metal?

Suddenly those neurotic hoards of old car batteries in the back yard don't
look so crazy.

You're going to have to put a burglar alarm
on that sailboat keel of yours...

Im gonna have to start using silver or gold for bullets....

Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Cydrome Leader wrote:
Richard J Kinch wrote:

Lead is at $1.80/lb these days, up from 40 cents a year ago and 20 cents
five years ago.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical.html

What is the problem with world market for this metal?

Suddenly those neurotic hoards of old car batteries in the back yard don't
look so crazy.

the chinese are using up all the lead to make paint for toys.

The Chinese are not paronoid like we are in the US. We treat lead like
U238 uranium because of all the hype from the media. Don't eat lead or
lead paint. Dont eat **** either, neither is too good for you.

John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-15, john wrote:
The Chinese are not paronoid like we are in the US. We treat lead like
U238 uranium because of all the hype from the media. Don't eat lead or
lead paint. Dont eat **** either, neither is too good for you.

So, it is OK to paid baby toys with **** then?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 15, 11:55 am, Richard J Kinch wrote:
Lead is at $1.80/lb these days, up from 40 cents a year ago and 20 cents
five years ago.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical.html

What is the problem with world market for this metal?

Suddenly those neurotic hoards of old car batteries in the back yard don't
look so crazy.

A certain, large, chunk of all commodities prices going up is because
the value of the dollar is going down.

There are also factors of increased demand for limited resources
(especially in the case of copper but also for other common metals)
and everything mineral-agro-industrial is strongly tied to fuel/energy
prices too.

Tim.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

john wrote:

The Chinese are not paronoid like we are in the US. We treat lead like
U238 uranium because of all the hype from the media. Don't eat lead or
lead paint. Dont eat **** either, neither is too good for you.

38 years of casting lead bullets, loading, and shooting and I'm still here.
Something else is going to kill me first.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Lead is at $1.80/lb these days, up from 40 cents a year ago and 20 cents
five years ago.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical.html

What is the problem with world market for this metal?

Suddenly those neurotic hoards of old car batteries in the back yard don't
look so crazy.

You're going to have to put a burglar alarm
on that sailboat keel of yours...

Im gonna have to start using silver or gold for bullets....

Gunner

I believe silver is traditional, Lone Ranger.

Oh! And stay the hell away from my keel!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 10:55:50 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Lead is at $1.80/lb these days, up from 40 cents a year ago and 20 cents
five years ago.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical.html

What is the problem with world market for this metal?

Suddenly those neurotic hoards of old car batteries in the back yard don't
look so crazy.

Ditto copper -- as in brass. Ammo prices have risen accordingly. Mr.
Paulsen at Wells Fargo says there's no reason to think this rise in
commodity prices won't continue for a while.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 14:34:35 -0400, Wes wrote:

john wrote:

The Chinese are not paronoid like we are in the US. We treat lead like
U238 uranium because of all the hype from the media. Don't eat lead or
lead paint. Dont eat **** either, neither is too good for you.

38 years of casting lead bullets, loading, and shooting and I'm still here.
Something else is going to kill me first.

Wes

I had a blood lead check a couple years ago. It barely registered on
the results.

Gunner, bullet caster and shooter

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Lead is at $1.80/lb these days, up from 40 cents a year ago and 20 cents
five years ago.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical.html

What is the problem with world market for this metal?

Suddenly those neurotic hoards of old car batteries in the back yard don't
look so crazy.

You're going to have to put a burglar alarm
on that sailboat keel of yours...

Im gonna have to start using silver or gold for bullets....

Gunner

I believe silver is traditional, Lone Ranger.

But its really really hard to cast bullets out of it. Moulds dont
fill out very well.

BTDT

Gunner

Oh! And stay the hell away from my keel!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

Lead is at $1.80/lb these days, up from 40 cents a year ago and 20 cents
five years ago.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical.html

What is the problem with world market for this metal?

Suddenly those neurotic hoards of old car batteries in the back yard don't
look so crazy.

Ditto copper -- as in brass. Ammo prices have risen accordingly. Mr.
Paulsen at Wells Fargo says there's no reason to think this rise in
commodity prices won't continue for a while.

The value of these pundits' opinion is slightly below zero.

I never pay attention to what they are saying.

My only commodity experience was buying silver and selling it several
years later for 2x.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

john wrote:

The Chinese are not paronoid like we are in the US. We treat lead like
U238 uranium because of all the hype from the media. Don't eat lead or
lead paint. Dont eat **** either, neither is too good for you.

38 years of casting lead bullets, loading, and shooting and I'm still here.
Something else is going to kill me first.

Not the point, though. The chinese know that we don't allow lead in our
toys and toothpaste, and they use it in products exported to us anyway.
They've killed our pets by poisoning wheat gluten, by contaminating it
with chemicals to make it test higher in a primitive protein test.
We've gone well past the point of them trading in good faith, and at
this point, they're exploiting the "most favored trade nation status"
that clinton gave them in exchange for those campaign contributions.

I think it's time we revoke the special deals that clinton gave the
chinese. And I _really_ think that, instead of just saying "wups, sorry
about that" and recalling the items they get caught on, the American
companies who import this tainted crap should get fined into oblivion.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

But its really really hard to cast bullets out of it. Moulds dont
fill out very well.

Not hard at all, just cast the from bee's wax and investment cast the
new bullet. Did a whole line of jewelery like that back in the 70's.
Never did try to reload with them though, wonder how silver would wear
a barrel?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Oct 15, 9:55 am, Richard J Kinch wrote:
Lead is at $1.80/lb these days, up from 40 cents a year ago and 20 cents
five years ago.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical.html

What is the problem with world market for this metal?

Suddenly those neurotic hoards of old car batteries in the back yard don't
look so crazy.

Except they still only give you 7 cents a pound for scrap, even for
ingot lead. Otherwise I'd sell a few tons and retire.
Worth more as bullets and slugs to me right now.

Probably smelters of lead from ore are under a lot more enviromental
constraints, they've either closed doors or had to increase prices to
stay open.
Also, all those new cars the Chinese are buying each need a starting
battery. Has to come from somewhere.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
ups.com...
On Oct 15, 9:55 am, Richard J Kinch wrote:
Lead is at $1.80/lb these days, up from 40 cents a year ago and 20 cents
five years ago.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical.html

What is the problem with world market for this metal?

Suddenly those neurotic hoards of old car batteries in the back yard
don't
look so crazy.

Except they still only give you 7 cents a pound for scrap, even for
ingot lead. Otherwise I'd sell a few tons and retire.
Worth more as bullets and slugs to me right now.

Probably smelters of lead from ore are under a lot more enviromental
constraints, they've either closed doors or had to increase prices to
stay open.

That's true, and it's going on all over the world.

Also, all those new cars the Chinese are buying each need a starting
battery. Has to come from somewhere.

They come from China. China is the world's largest producer of lead. And
they just slapped a 10% export tariff on it, to keep it at home.

Between the supply disruptions, partly due to environmental problems and
partly due to a confluence of manufacturing problems that have been
occurring lately, and partly due to China's export tariff, the commodity
futures traders have reacted by driving up the futures prices. That has a
backdraft effect that's driven up current prices. Bloomberg, American Metal
Market, and the commodities newspapers have been covering it.

The shortages of copper are more severe, but they're coming from a somewhat
different mix of causes. Consumption is *way* up, again, from China, and to
a lesser degree from India.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote in message
ps.com...
Apparently the Chinese are putting it in lipstick and paint for
toys.

We're the ones putting it into lipstick, reportedly....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Not pouring - one has a billet and rolls and then compresses small cutoffs.
Akin to rolling threads...

Martin :-) When there is a need, there is a tool !
Martin H. Eastburn
TSRA, Life; NRA LOH & Patron Member, Golden Eagle, Patriot's Medal.
http://lufkinced.com/

wrote:

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Lead is at $1.80/lb these days, up from 40 cents a year ago and 20 cents
five years ago.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical.html

What is the problem with world market for this metal?

Suddenly those neurotic hoards of old car batteries in the back yard don't
look so crazy.
You're going to have to put a burglar alarm
on that sailboat keel of yours...

Im gonna have to start using silver or gold for bullets....

Gunner

I believe silver is traditional, Lone Ranger.

But its really really hard to cast bullets out of it. Moulds dont
fill out very well.

BTDT

Gunner

Oh! And stay the hell away from my keel!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-15, john wrote:

The Chinese are not paronoid like we are in the US. We treat lead like
U238 uranium because of all the hype from the media. Don't eat lead or
lead paint. Dont eat **** either, neither is too good for you.

So, it is OK to paid baby toys with **** then?

Leave your kid alone in a crib for a few minutes, and I'll bet he'll
be as happy as generations before him, to be smearing himself down with
it, and eating it.

Best to take a few pictures before the cleanup. Good stuff, when they
get older, smarter than you, and mouthy about it.

Best as I know, none have died from it.

Or suffered any lasting damage.

Cheers
Trevor Jones

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 16:05:00 -0500, Ignoramus31535
wrote:

Ditto copper -- as in brass. Ammo prices have risen accordingly. Mr.
Paulsen at Wells Fargo says there's no reason to think this rise in
commodity prices won't continue for a while.

The value of these pundits' opinion is slightly below zero.

Dr. Paulsen's track record is rather good.

I never pay attention to what they are saying.

Then of course their opinions would have no value for you.

My only commodity experience was buying silver and selling it several
years later for 2x.

Shoulda gone with lead or copper! Greater return in shorter time.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

john wrote:

[...]

Read a book " The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair about the US meat industry
at the turn of the last century. Probably similar to where China is
today. You think that the food you eat that is processed by us companys
is all that good. They put a lot of crap in it that is harmful to you
but the crap hasn't been put on the banned list yet.

The Chinese government is trying to control the safety of its exports,
just like george bush is trying to control the illegal aliens. If
either really crack down and do the proper controls, there will be hell
to pay.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-16, Don Foreman wrote:
wrote:
Ditto copper -- as in brass. Ammo prices have risen accordingly. Mr.
Paulsen at Wells Fargo says there's no reason to think this rise in
commodity prices won't continue for a while.

The value of these pundits' opinion is slightly below zero.

Dr. Paulsen's track record is rather good.

He may be different from others.

Shoulda gone with lead or copper! Greater return in shorter time.

Maybe I should sell my 50 lbs or remelted bullets. Bought a bucket of
bullet fragments from a gun range a few years ago. Spent some good
time melting them. Doubtful I will use them much, at least not as much
as I have.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-16, Don Foreman wrote:
wrote:
Ditto copper -- as in brass. Ammo prices have risen accordingly. Mr.
Paulsen at Wells Fargo says there's no reason to think this rise in
commodity prices won't continue for a while.

The value of these pundits' opinion is slightly below zero.

Dr. Paulsen's track record is rather good.

He may be different from others.

Shoulda gone with lead or copper! Greater return in shorter time.

Maybe I should sell my 50 lbs or remelted bullets. Bought a bucket of
bullet fragments from a gun range a few years ago. Spent some good
time melting them. Doubtful I will use them much, at least not as much
as I have.

That reminds me, I got a counterweight from a #5 cinci vertical mill
outside in the back that we scrapped a while ago. The thing must weigh
over 500 lbs. Add that to the 36 volt forklift battery back there and I
have a small fortune in lead.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 16 Oct 2007 03:10:44 GMT, Trevor Jones

On 2007-10-15, john wrote:

The Chinese are not paronoid like we are in the US. We treat lead like
U238 uranium because of all the hype from the media. Don't eat lead or
lead paint. Dont eat **** either, neither is too good for you.

So, it is OK to paid baby toys with **** then?

Leave your kid alone in a crib for a few minutes, and I'll bet he'll
be as happy as generations before him, to be smearing himself down with
it, and eating it.

Best to take a few pictures before the cleanup. Good stuff, when they
get older, smarter than you, and mouthy about it.

Best as I know, none have died from it.

Or suffered any lasting damage.

Senior son at around 18 months found a solution to the wet bed
problem; he would stand in the corner of his crib, pull down his
diaper and direct the stream at his younger brother in the adjacent
crib.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

After a Computer crash and the demise of civilization, it was learned
Gunner Asch wrote on Mon, 15 Oct 2007
13:57:12 -0700 in rec.crafts.metalworking :

john wrote:

The Chinese are not paronoid like we are in the US. We treat lead like
U238 uranium because of all the hype from the media. Don't eat lead or
lead paint. Dont eat **** either, neither is too good for you.

38 years of casting lead bullets, loading, and shooting and I'm still here.
Something else is going to kill me first.

Wes

I had a blood lead check a couple years ago. It barely registered on
the results.

Gunner, bullet caster and shooter

If you die of lead poisoning, it will the sort caused by an irate
husband or a scorned woman.

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich
"Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est. "

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gerry wrote:

Never did try to reload with them though, wonder how silver would wear
a barrel?

If one could afford to plink with silver bullets, buying new barrels would
not be a worry.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

http://www.mackinac.org/article.aspx?ID=7229

Of Meat and Myth

John wrote:
Read a book " The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair about the US meat industry
at the turn of the last century.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Louis Ohland wrote:
http://www.mackinac.org/article.aspx?ID=7229

Of Meat and Myth

As popular myth would have it, there were no government inspectors
before Congress acted in response to "The Jungle" and the greedy meat
packers fought federal inspection all the way. The truth is that not
only did government inspection exist, but meat packers themselves
supported it and were in the forefront of the effort to extend it!

When the sensational accusations of "The Jungle" became worldwide news,
foreign purchases of American meat were cut in half and the meatpackers
looked for new regulations to give their markets a calming sense of
security. The only congressional hearings on what ultimately became the
Meat Inspection Act of 1906 were held by Congressman James Wadsworth's
Agriculture Committee between June 6 and 11. A careful reading of the
deliberations of the Wadsworth committee and the subsequent floor debate
leads inexorably to one conclusion: Knowing that a new law would allay
public fears fanned by "The Jungle," bring smaller competitors under
regulation, and put a newly laundered government stamp of approval on
their products, the major meat packers strongly endorsed the proposed
act and only quibbled over who should pay for it.

In the end, Americans got a new federal meat inspection law. The big
packers got the taxpayers to pick up the entire $3 million price tag for
its implementation as well as new regulations on their smaller
competitors, and another myth entered the annals of anti-market dogma.

To his credit, Upton Sinclair actually opposed the law because he saw it
for what it really was — a boon for the big meat packers.10 Far from a
crusading and objective truth-seeker, Sinclair was a fool and a sucker
who ended up being used by the very industry he hated.

Myths die hard. What you've just read is not at all "politically
correct." But defending the market from historical attack begins with
explaining what really happened. Those who persist in the shallow claim
that "The Jungle" stands as a compelling indictment of the market should
clean up their act because upon inspection, there seems to be an
unpleasant odor hovering over it.

John wrote:
Read a book " The Jungle" by Upton Sinclair about the US meat industry
at the turn of the last century.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Louis Ohland" wrote in message
Louis Ohland wrote:
[...]

So the accusations about the US meat packing industry being a dirty,
sickeningly filthy unregulated business were all untrue? It was a model of
modern, clean, sanitary production facilities for producing quality food for
human consumption? Yeah, and I have a bridge I would like to sell you. How
many times do we have to see what unregulated business does when there are
no inspectors? In my town we have a "plume of contaminated aquifer running
through the middle of town from where dry cleaning companies dumped toxic
chemicals in the ground and sewers. We have an area where the old Diamond
Match Company used to produce matches and did the same thing to the ground,
and we have a dump that has to be completely dug up and processed because of
toxics left there from unregulated dumping. That is just in my dinky town.
Multiply that by thousands and you know what happens when nobody is watching
what businesses are doing. Any place business is left unregulated the story
is always the same. They pollute like crazy, leave their business sites in
shambles and disappear when it's time to pay for it. It's gotten worse since
Bush took over and allowed and fostered an old fashioned leave business to
regulate itself attitude. Reducing the consumer product safety agency from
1,100 to 400 is a good example. Leave business to police itself and we pay
the price.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

news
wrote:

Lead is at $1.80/lb these days, up from 40 cents a year ago and 20 cents
five years ago.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical.html

What is the problem with world market for this metal?

Suddenly those neurotic hoards of old car batteries in the back yard

don't
look so crazy.

Ditto copper -- as in brass. Ammo prices have risen accordingly. Mr.
Paulsen at Wells Fargo says there's no reason to think this rise in
commodity prices won't continue for a while.

I can understand the price of brass and lead going through the roof. They
are going through unreal amounts of ammunition in Iraq. The ammo producers
are having a hard time keeping up. I tried to buy 2000 .38 caliber lead
bullets from my regular supplier last month and they didn't have any,
haven't had any for a long time, and don't know when they will get more.
They blamed it on the war, which is probably right. I have seen the price
for .45 ACP lead bullets go up just about every time I reorder. A year or so
ago I was paying something like four or five cents a bullet. I just got a
1000 bullets last week and it cost me 90 bucks. It's getting to the point
where I am going to have to start casting bullets again. I go through a lot
of lead and the price is getting so high that casting is starting to become
a reality again. But it's so boring and time consuming I hate to have to
start doing it again.

Hawke

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 21:47:05 -0400, the renowned "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

An awful lot of lead is going into SLA batteries for electric vehicles
in China. Maybe only 5 or 10 kilos each, but multiply that by 100 or
200 million.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 2007-10-15, john wrote:
The Chinese are not paronoid like we are in the US. We treat lead like
U238 uranium because of all the hype from the media. Don't eat lead or
lead paint. Dont eat **** either, neither is too good for you.

So, it is OK to paid baby toys with **** then?

Heck yeah, as long as we're exporting them to China.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Hawke wrote:
In my town we have a "plume of contaminated aquifer running
through the middle of town

Somehow, this just doesn't surprise me..

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 17 Oct 2007 01:35:57 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
JohnM quickly quoth:

Hawke wrote:
In my town we have a "plume of contaminated aquifer running
through the middle of town

Somehow, this just doesn't surprise me..

Yes, that explains quite a lot, doesn't it?

--
Death is more universal than life; everyone dies but not everyone lives.
-- A. Sachs