Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke Hawke is offline

Default Lead (Pb) price continues to skyrocket

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 15 Oct 2007 10:55:50 -0500, Richard J Kinch
wrote:

Lead is at $1.80/lb these days, up from 40 cents a year ago and 20 cents
five years ago.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical.html

What is the problem with world market for this metal?

Suddenly those neurotic hoards of old car batteries in the back yard

don't
look so crazy.

Ditto copper -- as in brass. Ammo prices have risen accordingly. Mr.
Paulsen at Wells Fargo says there's no reason to think this rise in
commodity prices won't continue for a while.

I can understand the price of brass and lead going through the roof. They
are going through unreal amounts of ammunition in Iraq. The ammo producers
are having a hard time keeping up. I tried to buy 2000 .38 caliber lead
bullets from my regular supplier last month and they didn't have any,
haven't had any for a long time, and don't know when they will get more.
They blamed it on the war, which is probably right. I have seen the price
for .45 ACP lead bullets go up just about every time I reorder. A year or so
ago I was paying something like four or five cents a bullet. I just got a
1000 bullets last week and it cost me 90 bucks. It's getting to the point
where I am going to have to start casting bullets again. I go through a lot
of lead and the price is getting so high that casting is starting to become
a reality again. But it's so boring and time consuming I hate to have to
start doing it again.

Hawke