Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Lead (Pb) price continues to skyrocket

On Oct 15, 9:55 am, Richard J Kinch wrote:
Lead is at $1.80/lb these days, up from 40 cents a year ago and 20 cents
five years ago.

http://www.kitcometals.com/charts/lead_historical.html

What is the problem with world market for this metal?

Suddenly those neurotic hoards of old car batteries in the back yard don't
look so crazy.

Except they still only give you 7 cents a pound for scrap, even for
ingot lead. Otherwise I'd sell a few tons and retire.
Worth more as bullets and slugs to me right now.

Probably smelters of lead from ore are under a lot more enviromental
constraints, they've either closed doors or had to increase prices to
stay open.
Also, all those new cars the Chinese are buying each need a starting
battery. Has to come from somewhere.

Stan