Posted to alt.home.repair
edb edb is offline

Default Faulty Thermostat Causes Homeowner's Power Bills To Skyrocket

Defective Honeywell thermostat.
Ed B

http://www.local6.com/news/9539599/d... 7192006&ts=H

Posted to alt.home.repair

MDT at Paragon Home Inspections, LLC wrote:
This one may be pretty tricky. My guess, offhand, is that the
thermostat might not have been "defective" in the sense of a
manufacturing defect, but rather that this might have been a design
defect: that it was possible to program the heat and cooling
set-points such that the thermostat could call for both simultaneously.

If so, a system might operate fine as long as 'stat was in ether the
"heat" or "cooling" mode (which is how it would likely be
tested during installation) but if it was switched it to the "auto"
mode afterwards, both might be active

I can see how an HVAC contractor or Home Inspector could easily "miss"
this unless they had a prior reason to test for it - both would likely
force the system directly into the 'stats "heating" and "cooling" modes
as required for routine testing - and I'd have to agree that it's
unreasonable to "expect" a typical homeowner to detect the problem
other than in the form of a high electric bill.

Michael Thomas
Paragon Home Inspection, LLC
Chicago, IL
mdtATparagoninspectsDOTcom
847-475-568

Hi,
In design aspect that can't happen. In auto mode it's either cool or
heat, not both. ASIC can't do both at the same time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 12:15:03 GMT, "edb" wrote:

Defective Honeywell thermostat.
Ed B

http://www.local6.com/news/9539599/d... 7192006&ts=H

My unit can't do both at same time either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In design aspect that can't happen. In auto mode it's either cool or
heat, not both. ASIC can't do both at the same time.

Well, I'm no EE, and "Don't turn on heating and cooling at the same
time" would seem to be something rational beings would want to
implement at a pretty fundamental level when designing thermostats, so
unless somebody else comes along and says differently, I'll take your
word for it

But if the the article is correct, and a properly connected thermostat
was energizing both, it would be interesting to know what mechanical,
electrical or electronic defect was present.

I've submitted a request to Honeywell Tech Support for additional
information on this problem, if I get an answer, I'll post it.

Michael Thomas
Paragon Home Inspection, LLC
Chicago, IL
mdtATparagoninspectsDOTcom
847-475-568

To Programmable Thermostat users/owners: Need your help to fill out a questionnaire! =) E Home Repair 14 March 5th 06 09:12 AM
retrofitting an ATX psupply into a microATX psupply box - won't power dave Electronics Repair 0 March 23rd 05 04:23 PM
Metal Working Machinery New and Used in Australia and for Export [email protected] Metalworking 0 February 23rd 05 03:54 AM
Quality Of Tools cisco kid UK diy 145 June 14th 04 02:56 PM
Generator FAQ Gunner Metalworking 0 January 23rd 04 06:24 PM