Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Hull

Default Way off topic question

In article .com,
"John Martin" wrote:

Nick Hull wrote:

Plus, once you sign up you can be recalled later in life for any
purpose. An office mate of mine had a father who had retired from being
a B-52 pilot and was over 65. He was recalled to be a helicopter pilot
in Vietnam and mentioned he was the youngest in his survival school
class. McNamara calculated it was cheaper to have them killed than to
contimue paying pensions.

--

Nick, you sure your buddy wasn't pulling your leg or maybe stretching
things a bit? Hard to imagine the military recalling a 65 year old

Not saying that it couldn't be true, just that it seems awfully
unlikely.

John Martin

I didn't check into the details myself, but my office mate was generally
truthful and I had heard similiar stories from other directions.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Hull

In article ,
"SteveF" wrote:

Plus, once you sign up you can be recalled later in life for any
purpose. An office mate of mine had a father who had retired from being
a B-52 pilot and was over 65. He was recalled to be a helicopter pilot
in Vietnam and mentioned he was the youngest in his survival school
class. McNamara calculated it was cheaper to have them killed than to
contimue paying pensions.

--

That's only if you retire from service. If you resign a commission or elect
to not re-enlist for another period of service you then have a couple of

There was a recent news item where a soldier had resigned, and his
resignation accepted, then some time later the army said the acceptance
was a mistake and they were recalling him to active duty (Iraq).

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveF

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
In article ,
"SteveF" wrote:

[...]

Officers resign, enlisted (soldiers) simply let their enlistment contract
expire. If this is the one involving an officer in North Carolina, the Army
was saying that he needed to resign to go off off active duty and then
submit another resignation to resign from the IRR. He is saying there is no
such requirement and IRR terms expire automatically. So does his lawyer.
AFAIK he hasn't reported for duty.

Steve.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
B.B.

Well, I chickened out. Had a nice, long talk with my family
yesterday. Then had a not as long, not as nice talk with the recruiters
this morning.
Thanks for the replies.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
But there are some magnificently opinionated people in this group, so
I wanted to ask here.
I decided to join the army. I don't want to go into a long
description of why and why now, so just accept for the purposes of this
question that the decision has been made.
Here's the thing: I was opposed to this war before it started and
grow more disgusted with it daily. And I have no respect whatsoever for
George Bush. In your opinions, do you think it'll be possible to
separate that from work in the military? I'll be entering as a
mechanic, not as a fighter, and I plan to do my job--not make some silly
political statement by disrupting the military.
I have until Tuesday afternoon to chicken out.

I wonder where the largest need for military mechanics is right now?

You have no business in the army right now. It will simply breed more
contempt for what's going on. Everything you do will be an effort to help
the man you can't stand (Pres. Bush) and a war that you think is disgusting.
You have the right to stay home, and not die for what you don't believe in.

Maybe you should consider the coast guard?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

Wait to join up until you
have a more enlightened management team.

Not likely to happen in his (our) lifetime.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Martin

Nick Hull wrote:
In article .com,
"John Martin" wrote:

Nick Hull wrote:

[...]

Nick:

I've heard stories that over 200 million slaves were thrown overboard
in the Atlantic by slavers - so many that sharks still prowl the slave
routes today.

It was claimed just recently in this newsgroup that around 1905 the US
railroad industry averaged 100 employees killed per day.

I'm not trying to be funny here, and I'm not saying that what your
office mate told you couldn't be true. My only point is that while it
is to me more believable than the two stories above, it is - again, to
me - in the realm of myth.

John Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"B.B." wrote: Well, I chickened out. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"Chickened out" has a very unpleasant negative connotation. Let's say you
came to your senses.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Emmo

Looks more and more like Hillary is next up - would she qualify ??

"Dave Lyon" wrote in message
newslsDf.742925$_o.523759@attbi_s71...
Wait to join up until you
have a more enlightened management team.

Not likely to happen in his (our) lifetime.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:16:42 -0600, "B.B."
u wrote:

Well, I chickened out. Had a nice, long talk with my family
yesterday. Then had a not as long, not as nice talk with the recruiters
this morning.
Thanks for the replies.

Frankly..I believe that every young person Needs a stint in the
military, if for nothing more than personal goal resolution and
learning discipline and learning their abilities and limits.
Not to mention giving a little back to all those that went before you.

Shrug..but then..thats simply my opinion.

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

"Emmo" wrote in message
Looks more and more like Hillary is next up - would she qualify ??

I hear she is very smart.

I wouldn't vote for her though. She's more crooked than her husband.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 11:16:42 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"B.B." u quickly
quoth:

Well, I chickened out. Had a nice, long talk with my family
yesterday. Then had a not as long, not as nice talk with the recruiters
this morning.
Thanks for the replies.

Congrats on doing the right thing, both for yourself and the Armed
Forces.

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

Dave Lyon wrote:
I hear she is very smart.

--Too smart IMO..
I wouldn't vote for her though. She's more crooked than her husband.

--Sigh. You got that right. If she's the Demo candidate it's going
to put a bunch of us in a real bind..

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : I can make damn near anything
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : ...except money, sigh.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 18:24:54 GMT, "Emmo" wrote:

Looks more and more like Hillary is next up - would she qualify ??

This the same Hitlery that keeps supporting the war, and was foremost
in voting for it?

Gunner

"Dave Lyon" wrote in message
newslsDf.742925$_o.523759@attbi_s71...
Wait to join up until you
have a more enlightened management team.

Not likely to happen in his (our) lifetime.

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 18:22:43 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"B.B." wrote: Well, I chickened out. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
"Chickened out" has a very unpleasant negative connotation. Let's say you
came to your senses.

Id say he chickened out. I tend to call a spade a spade.

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Gunner" wrote: I tend to call a spade a spade.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I've noticed that you tend to call a spade a steamshovel. :-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Gunner" wrote: Frankly..I believe that every young person Needs a stint
in the military, if for nothing more than personal goal resolution (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gunner, first let me say, I enlisted in time of war, did my time, and got an
honorable discharge. So let's not make that an issue.

Do you consider returning from the war in a flag-draped coffin a reasonable
form of personal goal resolution?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 19:07:43 GMT, ff wrote:

Mark Rand wrote:

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 10:23:19 GMT, ff wrote:

You Brits are still sore about losing the W.O.I. (war of independence)
By the way, I understand the UK has troops in Iraq too.

ff

No, its the thought of all the damage that coffee is doing to your systems
plus the lack of tax from the tea G

Mark Rand
RTFM

LOL

Just for that, we will build another dozen McDonalds over there.
Give me liberty or give me a BigMac.

Fred

Put that way, liberty looks quite attractive.

Mark Rand
RTFM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick

Gunner wrote:

Id say he chickened out. I tend to call a spade a spade.

Gunner

Are you sure you don't call it a Muth-- f----- shovel?
You do know that joke about the construction site and the
Nunnery don't you??? :-)
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 23:48:24 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Lew
Hartswick quickly quoth:

Gunner wrote:

Id say he chickened out. I tend to call a spade a spade.

Gunner

Are you sure you don't call it a Muth-- f----- shovel?
You do know that joke about the construction site and the
Nunnery don't you??? :-)
...lew...

No, but here's one for ya (maybe) along the same lines:
--snip--
Sisters of Mercy

A man is driving down a deserted stretch of highway in Nevada when
he notices a sign out of the corner of his eye. It reads:

SISTERS OF MERCY HOUSE OF PROSTITUTION - 10 MILES.

He thinks it was just a figment of his imagination and drives on
without a second thought. Soon, he sees another sign which says:

SISTERS OF MERCY HOUSE OF PROSTITUTION - 5 MILES

and realizes that these signs are for real. When he drives past a
third sign saying:

SISTERS OF MERCY HOUSE OF PROSTITUTION NEXT RIGHT

His curiosity gets the best of him and he pulls into the drive.
On the far side of the parking lot is a somber stone building with
a small sign next to the door reading: SISTERS OF MERCY. He climbs
the steps and rings the bell.

The door is answered by a nun in a long black habit who asks, "What
may we do for you, my son?" He answers, "I saw your signs along the
highway, and was interested in possibly doing business." The nun
stops at a closed door, and tells the man, "Please knock on this
door." He does as he is told and this door is answered by another
nun in a long habit and holding a tin cup. This nun instructs,
"Please place $50 in the cup, then go through the large wooden door
at the end of this hallway."

He gets $50 out of his wallet and places it in the second nun's cup.
He trots eagerly down the hall and slips through the door, pulling
it shut behind him.

As the door locks behind him, he finds himself back in the parking
lot, facing another small sign:

GO IN PEACE, YOU HAVE JUST BEEN SCREWED BY THE SISTERS OF MERCY.

--snip--

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------
http://diversify.com Website Application Programming
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

--Sigh. You got that right. If she's the Demo candidate it's going
to put a bunch of us in a real bind..

It won't really mater who's in, there's not enough time and unbound power in
the Presidency to really screw thing up or put forth a vision. We need
"Colossus: The Forbin Project" or the US WILL become Europe.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
technomaNge

B.B. wrote:
Well, I chickened out. Had a nice, long talk with my family
yesterday. Then had a not as long, not as nice talk with the recruiters
this morning.
Thanks for the replies.

I am sorry to hear that. Until you are over 35? 36? you can still
enlist.

Between now and then, learn what you can, observe the world around
you and watch to see which leaders actually do what they say they
will do. Some independent thinking and observing of who the
bull****ters are might clarify your thinking.

As it is, if you never join, you will always wonder somewhere
deep inside if you are good enough to mean what you say.

technomaNge
--
I listen to Rush and Sean on
http://www.wabcradio.com/listenlive.asp
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Lamb

technomaNge wrote:

B.B. wrote:

Well, I chickened out. Had a nice, long talk with my family
yesterday. Then had a not as long, not as nice talk with the
recruiters this morning.
Thanks for the replies.

I am sorry to hear that. Until you are over 35? 36? you can still
enlist.

Between now and then, learn what you can, observe the world around
you and watch to see which leaders actually do what they say they
will do. Some independent thinking and observing of who the
bull****ters are might clarify your thinking.

As it is, if you never join, you will always wonder somewhere
deep inside if you are good enough to mean what you say.

technomaNge

As the last screen of "What the bleep do we know" said,

"Agreement is not necessary. Thinking for yourself is".

Gunner?
You are wrong to call someone a chicken for not wanting to go to war.

If I had the means, I'd go back and NOT go to Viet Nam.

Any idea why?

Richard Lamb
the Head Hunters
1968 -1969
1st Squadron - 9th Cav
First Cavalry Division

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

If that were true, Id have called him a gutless chicken****.

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 23:48:24 GMT, Lew Hartswick
wrote:

Gunner wrote:

Id say he chickened out. I tend to call a spade a spade.

Gunner

Are you sure you don't call it a Muth-- f----- shovel?
You do know that joke about the construction site and the
Nunnery don't you??? :-)
...lew...

Same one with the little girl and the construction crew G

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 20:47:43 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote: Frankly..I believe that every young person Needs a stint
in the military, if for nothing more than personal goal resolution (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gunner, first let me say, I enlisted in time of war, did my time, and got an
honorable discharge. So let's not make that an issue.

So did I. I called it filling part of my social contract.

Do you consider returning from the war in a flag-draped coffin a reasonable
form of personal goal resolution?

No. I call that "the luck of the draw"

Much like the guy who wants to be a top fuel race car driver and winds
up dead.

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

Some ****ing moron wrote:

Do you consider returning from the war in a flag-draped coffin a
reasonable
form of personal goal resolution?

No, I consider that the ultimate example of putting your money where your
mouth is.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Hull

In article .com,
"John Martin" wrote:

Nick Hull wrote:
In article .com,
"John Martin" wrote:

Nick Hull wrote:

[...]

An obvious exageration, like 6 million killed elsewhere.

It was claimed just recently in this newsgroup that around 1905 the US
railroad industry averaged 100 employees killed per day.

I just heard that one on the history channel. It sounded high to me but
they showed a lot of train wrecks.

I'm not trying to be funny here, and I'm not saying that what your
office mate told you couldn't be true. My only point is that while it
is to me more believable than the two stories above, it is - again, to
me - in the realm of myth.

Fo you it's myth. For me, I knew the person directly.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveF

news
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote: Frankly..I believe that every young person Needs a stint
in the military, if for nothing more than personal goal resolution (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gunner, first let me say, I enlisted in time of war, did my time, and got
an
honorable discharge. So let's not make that an issue.

So did I. I called it filling part of my social contract.

Do you consider returning from the war in a flag-draped coffin a
reasonable
form of personal goal resolution?

No. I call that "the luck of the draw"

Much like the guy who wants to be a top fuel race car driver and winds
up dead.

Gunner

In my units we had three killed just from training accidents. We used to
consider getting killed an "occupational hazard".

Steve.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveF

"Gunner" wrote in message
On Mon, 30 Jan 2006 08:09:20 +0100, (Nick Müller)
wrote:

Leo Lichtman wrote:

Unfortunately, having a non-thinker as Commander in Chief has had a
tremendous negative effect on the usefulness of the Army.

I had a lot of fun with the non-thinkers and blaming them in front of a
lot of people. :-)
Some learned the hard way what to do with me and what not.

Nick

What most here dont realize..that in Todays Army...the vast majority
of those serving, from NCOs up have college degrees. Masters,
Bachlors, Phds and so forth.

Its been a hell of a long time since anyone was given the "prison or
the Army" option. While judges may like to..the military simply wants
the best and the brightest, not the dregs. And they get em.

Gunner

When I was in the 2nd Armored Cav in Germany 20 years ago the driver of my
M577 was one of those given the choice of "prison or the Army". Great guy,
always had my track ready to roll, never let me down.

Little story to illustrate the real problem. - One morning, way too early,
the runner comes through the Officers Quarters building banging on
everyone's door calling "Alert, Alert". Yippee. So I get dressed and head
up to the track park. There I find my NCO and SP4 sitting in an empty
parking space. "**Where's the track?" "Sir, maintenance got it late
yesterday. Benson went to get it". So I jog down to maintenance to find my
track. There, in a parking lot completely empty except for 1 M577, sits PFC
Benson with the motor running. "**Why are you sitting here?" "Waiting for
someone to be ground guide, Sir" "**OK, I'm the ground guide. Let's go"
As I start to back him out of the parking space, around the corner comes one
of my fellow lieutenants - "Stop, Stop!" "**Why?" "Because you can't
back up a vehicle without a REAR ground guide" "**OK, you be it" "I can't,
you need to go find one" "**There's no one else here and the parking lot is
empty, you might want to move unless you'd like to be really flat". So I
guide the vehicle up to the track park and we all pile in and roll for the
alert. Later that day I find out that one of the "problems" formally noted
on the alert was my backing up a vehicle without a proper rear ground guide.

Gunner - I'll put $1000 on the table that this guy is now at least a full
Colonel and, while difficult, is a bigger frickin' dickhead than he was 20
years ago. And if he was a Captain and ordered me not to move the vehicle
without a rear ground guide I'd have had no choice but to waste another 10
minutes hiking around trying to find one.

It's not a matter of education, it's a matter of how you use it when faced
with the situation where following the regulations is obviously a stupid
thing to do. And the Army wants you to follow orders and the regs no matter
what. I have a ton of similar stories.

Even 20 years ago I served with a number of the "best and brightest". The
problem is that the vast majority of us(!) decided not to make the Army a
career.

I currently run and compete in High Power Rifle competitions so have regular
contact with people who have recently gotten out or are still on active
duty. My conversations with them do not cause me to think that things are
substantially different now.

Steve.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
gfulton

"Richard Lamb" wrote in message
ink.net...

snippage

Gunner?
You are wrong to call someone a chicken for not wanting to go to war.

If I had the means, I'd go back and NOT go to Viet Nam.

Any idea why?

Richard Lamb
the Head Hunters
1968 -1969
1st Squadron - 9th Cav
First Cavalry Division

Can't speak for Gunner, but I'd do it again. Too many guys wouldn't be here
if me and my buds hadn't done the medevacs. I would have preferred,
however, not to have had beer bottles thrown at me and called "baby killer"
when I got back. But that's just me.

Garrett Fulton
1970-1971
Marine Medium Helicopter Squadron 262
..50 Cal. door gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Gunner" wrote: If that were true, Id have called him a gutless
chicken****.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gunner, now I have found TWO things about you to like:
1.) You are a cat lover.
2.) You use the subjunctive mood properly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Leo
Lichtman says...

"Gunner" wrote: If that were true, Id have called him a gutless
chicken****.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gunner, now I have found TWO things about you to like:
1.) You are a cat lover.
2.) You use the subjunctive [tense] properly.

Though, he is and probably always will be a tad sketchy
on the apostrophe stuff.....

Jim

please reply to:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article bdGDf.16900$JT.12735@fed1read06, Steve B says...

Do you consider returning from the war in a flag-draped coffin a
reasonable
form of personal goal resolution?

No, I consider that the ultimate example of putting your money where your
mouth is.

Well that's one way for the coffin wearer to get the last 'word'
in.

Jim

please reply to:
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 07:44:41 GMT, Richard Lamb
wrote:

As it is, if you never join, you will always wonder somewhere
deep inside if you are good enough to mean what you say.

technomaNge

As the last screen of "What the bleep do we know" said,

"Agreement is not necessary. Thinking for yourself is".

Gunner?
You are wrong to call someone a chicken for not wanting to go to war.

If I had the means, I'd go back and NOT go to Viet Nam.

Any idea why?

I didnt say anything about going to war, I indicated that I thought
chickening out of joining the military was not a good thing.

War or its avoidence is the goal of the military..least ours.

There are lots of MOS that dont involve humping a ruck.

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On 31 Jan 2006 13:07:48 -0800, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Leo
Lichtman says...

"Gunner" wrote: If that were true, Id have called him a gutless
chicken****.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Gunner, now I have found TWO things about you to like:
1.) You are a cat lover.
2.) You use the subjunctive [tense] properly.

Though, he is and probably always will be a tad sketchy
on the apostrophe stuff.....

Jim

' are a bit hard for me to use, because of a damaged right hand. The
little finger isnt fully operative at the angle needed to hit the
apostrophe key. Frankly..it hurts. So I have fallen out of using it
very much

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Tue, 31 Jan 2006 07:03:46 -0500, "SteveF" wrote:

news
wrote:

[...]

Like driving in heavy traffic. Shrug

Gunner

"Deep in her heart, every moslem woman yearns to show us her tits"
John Griffin

new topic, off topic, about new topics [email protected] Woodworking 0 March 27th 05 02:05 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Transformer question Asimov Electronics Repair 5 September 26th 04 10:51 PM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Ownership 2 March 25th 04 07:03 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM