Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
B.B.

Default Way off topic question

But there are some magnificently opinionated people in this group, so
I wanted to ask here.
I decided to join the army. I don't want to go into a long
description of why and why now, so just accept for the purposes of this
question that the decision has been made.
Here's the thing: I was opposed to this war before it started and
grow more disgusted with it daily. And I have no respect whatsoever for
George Bush. In your opinions, do you think it'll be possible to
separate that from work in the military? I'll be entering as a
mechanic, not as a fighter, and I plan to do my job--not make some silly
political statement by disrupting the military.
I have until Tuesday afternoon to chicken out.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

I think it depends on the person. If you enjoy working as a mechanic,
enjoy army life and are fairly easy going, you should be fine. But if
your opposition to the war is passionate, so that it dominates your
thoughts and overpowers your other feelings, you might have a problem.
It's up to you to decide.

Best wishes and good luck!

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

B.B. wrote:
But there are some magnificently opinionated people in this group, so
I wanted to ask here.
I decided to join the army. I don't want to go into a long
description of why and why now, so just accept for the purposes of this
question that the decision has been made.
Here's the thing: I was opposed to this war before it started and
grow more disgusted with it daily. And I have no respect whatsoever for
George Bush. In your opinions, do you think it'll be possible to
separate that from work in the military? I'll be entering as a
mechanic, not as a fighter, and I plan to do my job--not make some silly
political statement by disrupting the military.
I have until Tuesday afternoon to chicken out.

I think the question you have to ask
yourself is whether or not you could
pick up a weapon and kill the enemy,
should it become necessary. Regardless
of your MOS, there is always a chance
you could end up in such a situation.
The Army may send you to mechanic's
school, but I bet they won't promise
you that you'll be a mechanic.

There's a reason basic training is
called Basic Combat Training.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

B.B. wrote:

But there are some magnificently opinionated people in this group, so
I wanted to ask here.
I decided to join the army. I don't want to go into a long
description of why and why now, so just accept for the purposes of this
question that the decision has been made.
Here's the thing: I was opposed to this war before it started and
grow more disgusted with it daily. And I have no respect whatsoever for
George Bush. In your opinions, do you think it'll be possible to
separate that from work in the military? I'll be entering as a
mechanic, not as a fighter, and I plan to do my job--not make some silly
political statement by disrupting the military.
I have until Tuesday afternoon to chicken out.

If you feel a wage check is more important than following your
instincts as to whats right and wrong, go ahead and join the army.

The thing thats very much worth bearing in mind here is that Iraq,
Afghanistan, S.Vietnam..............and indeed any of the other nation
states that have been attacked by US forces, subsequent to WW2, posed
any sort of threat to the US. These attacks being carried out purely
for economic or political reasons, and therefore being deemed as
illegal under international law.

I think for anyone who cares about the victims of the US military
industrial complex, that actually playing a direct part in this, would
be a shameful decision, and one that you would be likely to regret!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ff

wrote:

B.B. wrote:

[...]

You Brits are still sore about losing the W.O.I. (war of independence)
By the way, I understand the UK has troops in Iraq too.

ff

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 10:23:19 GMT, ff wrote:

You Brits are still sore about losing the W.O.I. (war of independence)
By the way, I understand the UK has troops in Iraq too.

ff

No, its the thought of all the damage that coffee is doing to your systems
plus the lack of tax from the tea G

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 01:18:25 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm,
"B.B." u quickly
quoth:

But there are some magnificently opinionated people in this group, so
I wanted to ask here.
I decided to join the army. I don't want to go into a long
description of why and why now, so just accept for the purposes of this
question that the decision has been made.

The phrase "foolish choice" immediately comes to mind. What were you
THINKING? (Oh, I get it. The court gave you two choices? OK, swap!)

Here's the thing: I was opposed to this war before it started and
grow more disgusted with it daily. And I have no respect whatsoever for
George Bush.

Our numbers are growing daily, on both sides. sigh We need a
President we can believe in, like we used to.

In your opinions, do you think it'll be possible to
separate that from work in the military?

Maybe, for a week or two, but not for 4 years. Realize that you'll be
instantly transported into the middle of the war as soon as you leave
boot camp. There are others who've been there for too long now and
you'll immediately take one of their places.

I felt the same way about Nam and was given a reprieve. My number was
called in the draft and I was sent an Order to Report. Since I was in
the process of moving back to CA from AZ after school, I asked for and
received an OK to transfer to my local (San Diego) board. Once I got
back, they put me on Hold and told me that they already had their
quota. Whew! BTW, my school of choice was Universal Technical
Institute and the study was Auto Mechanics. I graduated with 4
certificates: Mechanics, Doctor of Motors Student Citation g, Auto
Air Conditioning, and Automatic Transmissions. I'd have gone to Nam as
a wrench just as you'll go to Iraq as one.

I'll be entering as a
mechanic, not as a fighter, and I plan to do my job--not make some silly
political statement by disrupting the military.
I have until Tuesday afternoon to chicken out.

Chicken out on Monday...unless you have a death wish AND like Hell.
The fact that you're having second thoughts is telling. Override the
Darwinian thoughts and bail now, dude. You sound as if you don't
belong in the military any more than I would have.

Sign me: Air Force Brat.

-
Better Living Through Denial
------------
http://diversify.com Dynamic Websites, PHP Apps, MySQL databases
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Hull

In article ,
Jim Stewart wrote:

B.B. wrote:
[...]

Plus, once you sign up you can be recalled later in life for any
purpose. An office mate of mine had a father who had retired from being
a B-52 pilot and was over 65. He was recalled to be a helicopter pilot
in Vietnam and mentioned he was the youngest in his survival school
class. McNamara calculated it was cheaper to have them killed than to
contimue paying pensions.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ken Moffett

"B.B." u wrote in
news
But there are some magnificently opinionated people in this group,
so
I wanted to ask here.
I decided to join the army. I don't want to go into a long
description of why and why now, so just accept for the purposes of
this question that the decision has been made.
Here's the thing: I was opposed to this war before it started and
grow more disgusted with it daily. And I have no respect whatsoever
for George Bush. In your opinions, do you think it'll be possible to
separate that from work in the military? I'll be entering as a
mechanic, not as a fighter, and I plan to do my job--not make some
silly political statement by disrupting the military.
I have until Tuesday afternoon to chicken out.

Do not ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...ever...e ver...believe
what a recruiter tells you!!! You may be "guaranteed" a school. But,
They "will" put you in what and where they "need" you once you sign that
paper. Recruiters' promises are....I can't think of a negative enough
word for them.

I can't believe some of the ads I see for the military, on TV. For the
Army Reserves: "Mom, I've already checked them out. And they'll train me
as an engineer, and I can still go to school and they won't call me up
unless they "really" need me." Has anyone ever told you about the "stop
loss" program that's keeping soldiers in long after their "contracted"
enlistment time is up?

Do not go into the Army with what appears to be your dillusion that
you're only going to be a mechanic, and won't be trained and used as a
"fighter".

I know of what I speak!

Talk to people who are or have been recently in the Army. Get a real
picture from people who aren't being paid bonuses to sign you up.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveF

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
But there are some magnificently opinionated people in this group, so
I wanted to ask here.
I decided to join the army. I don't want to go into a long
description of why and why now, so just accept for the purposes of this
question that the decision has been made.
Here's the thing: I was opposed to this war before it started and
grow more disgusted with it daily. And I have no respect whatsoever for
George Bush. In your opinions, do you think it'll be possible to
separate that from work in the military? I'll be entering as a
mechanic, not as a fighter, and I plan to do my job--not make some silly
political statement by disrupting the military.
I have until Tuesday afternoon to chicken out.

If you can follow orders and do the job assigned to you in spite of your
political convictions you will be able to serve. If you think that might
not be possible then the Army isn't the place for you. You are about to
enter a whole different world where the First Amendment does NOT apply and
the biggest concept to understand is - "you don't have a choice". Doesn't
matter if you don't like it, doesn't even matter if it is obviously stupid
and inefficient. If you get ordered to do it, you must do it. If you
don't, you get in trouble. Enough trouble and the Army will just send you
home with a dishonorable discharge which is NOT something you want on your
resume. Enough trouble while serving in Iraq and you might get a stopover
at Fort Leavenworth. Since your post is coherent and grammatically correct
I'll assume you are fairly smart. Make sure you understand that all the
folks you think are stupid may have joined the Army before you and will
outrank you and can give you orders to do the dumbest damned things you ever
saw. Doesn't even matter if they are your boss or not. EVERYONE who
outranks you will give you orders, usually done in a manner to satisfy their
personal egos and not to show you any kind of respect or common courtesy.
If you can live with that for a couple of years, go ahead.

Good luck.
Steve.
former artillery officer

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
But there are some magnificently opinionated people in this group, so
I wanted to ask here.
I decided to join the army. I don't want to go into a long
description of why and why now, so just accept for the purposes of this
question that the decision has been made.
Here's the thing: I was opposed to this war before it started and
grow more disgusted with it daily. And I have no respect whatsoever for
George Bush. In your opinions, do you think it'll be possible to
separate that from work in the military? I'll be entering as a
mechanic, not as a fighter, and I plan to do my job--not make some silly
political statement by disrupting the military.
I have until Tuesday afternoon to chicken out.

organization if you pick and choose who you will mind and what job you will
perform.

When given an order you need to be able to snap to attention, salute, and
bark "Yes, Sir!" and mean it.

Waffling wavering woosies like you are at the core of what is rotten in our
military. And it shows your lack of immaturity in not being able to take or
follow orders. You think your mommie and daddie were tough about keeping
your room clean and your shoes shined? You ain't seen nothing yet, and it
only starts there.

You do not have what it takes to be a member of the United States military.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ff

Steve B wrote:

"B.B." u wrote in message
news

[...]

I had to read that three times. The third time I got to "lack of
immaturity" .....LOL

ff
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Steve B" wrote: (clip) Waffling wavering woosies like you (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Spiro Agnew is posting here?
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
And it shows your lack of immaturity (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Lack of immaturity is what I strive for.

Do you get any sense of direction from Steve B's post, taken as a whole? In
the military you would not be allowed to think, nor given a chance to think.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick

Steve B wrote:
organization if you pick and choose who you will mind and what job you will
perform.

When given an order you need to be able to snap to attention, salute, and
bark "Yes, Sir!" and mean it.

Waffling wavering woosies like you are at the core of what is rotten in our
military. And it shows your lack of immaturity in not being able to take or
follow orders. You think your mommie and daddie were tough about keeping
your room clean and your shoes shined? You ain't seen nothing yet, and it
only starts there.

You do not have what it takes to be a member of the United States military.

Steve

If you have to ask, then NO.
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Martin

Nick Hull wrote:

Plus, once you sign up you can be recalled later in life for any
purpose. An office mate of mine had a father who had retired from being
a B-52 pilot and was over 65. He was recalled to be a helicopter pilot
in Vietnam and mentioned he was the youngest in his survival school
class. McNamara calculated it was cheaper to have them killed than to
contimue paying pensions.

--

Nick, you sure your buddy wasn't pulling your leg or maybe stretching
things a bit? Hard to imagine the military recalling a 65 year old

Not saying that it couldn't be true, just that it seems awfully
unlikely.

John Martin

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

B.B. wrote:
But there are some magnificently opinionated people in this group, so
I wanted to ask here.
I decided to join the army. I don't want to go into a long
description of why and why now, so just accept for the purposes of this
question that the decision has been made.
Here's the thing: I was opposed to this war before it started and
grow more disgusted with it daily. And I have no respect whatsoever for
George Bush. In your opinions, do you think it'll be possible to
separate that from work in the military? I'll be entering as a
mechanic, not as a fighter, and I plan to do my job--not make some silly
political statement by disrupting the military.

If there is one thing the military will teach you, it is that every job
is important. Keep in mind that the jeep you fix will be used for the
mission you find worthy of contempt.

I have until Tuesday afternoon to chicken out.

You asked for opinions, so I'll give you one: don't do it. Given your
attitude, I think you, your bank account, the military, and the world
(especially the middle east[*]) would be better served by your fixing
cars in the private sector. You can be well paid with a good satisfying
job (or your own business) living where you choose, or you can find
yourself stuck in a desert with sand in/on everything you touch, fixing
armored SUVs for less than optimal wages. The latter would be tough
enough if you believed in what you were doing. Thinking as you do, it
would be hell.

Sorry, but that's how I see it.

Bill

[*] I don't like war either, but we have no choice here. Look at what
is left of the WTC. Look at the pictures of the towers burning. Those
dots you see in the air outside the falling buildings were people
jumping because it was preferable to burning alive.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

You are not Army material!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

--Sigh. To fight the Good Fight for a boss who's got a clue is a
noble thing. Trouble is, your boss is an idiot. Wait to join up until you
have a more enlightened management team.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Tom Nelson?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ff

Mark Rand wrote:

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 10:23:19 GMT, ff wrote:

You Brits are still sore about losing the W.O.I. (war of independence)
By the way, I understand the UK has troops in Iraq too.

ff

No, its the thought of all the damage that coffee is doing to your systems
plus the lack of tax from the tea G

Mark Rand
RTFM

LOL

Just for that, we will build another dozen McDonalds over there.
Give me liberty or give me a BigMac.

Fred

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Tom Gardner" wrote: You are not Army material!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
B.B., I think that was meant as a compliment. Anyway, I think you should
believe it and puff up your chest a little.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Do you get any sense of direction from Steve B's post, taken as a whole?
In the military you would not be allowed to think, nor given a chance to
think.

The military certainly would not allow people to think...those people not
capable of thinking, like you Leo, but they still find a useful purpose for
the non-thinkers.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006 01:18:25 -0600, "B.B."
u wrote:

But there are some magnificently opinionated people in this group, so
I wanted to ask here.
I decided to join the army. I don't want to go into a long
description of why and why now, so just accept for the purposes of this
question that the decision has been made.
Here's the thing: I was opposed to this war before it started and
grow more disgusted with it daily. And I have no respect whatsoever for
George Bush. In your opinions, do you think it'll be possible to
separate that from work in the military? I'll be entering as a
mechanic, not as a fighter, and I plan to do my job--not make some silly
political statement by disrupting the military.
I have until Tuesday afternoon to chicken out.

You would be joining as a soldier like everyone else. There are no
"special cases" except possibly MD's, registered nurses and JAG
lawyers. You don't get to decide what "your job" is; it will be
whatever your commanders decide it is, and you *will* do it or go to
jail -- or, in a combat zone, probably have "an accident" if your
malingering places others at additional risk. This isn't
melodramatic exaggeration at all. It is fact. It's how things work.

The life of a half-assed soldier can be utterly miserable under a
good First Sergeant -- and most of the 1SGTs I knew were very good at
their jobs and took pride in being outstanding soldiers. They get to
be 1SGTs by knowing how to lead and "motivate"... one way or another!
If you can't be motivated, your fate will still serve as motivation
for others.

The President, whomever he or she might be, is Commander-in-Chief by
definition. A solder does not get to disrespect his chain of command
regardless of his personal beliefs. The country is a democracy and
soldiers are citizens with a vote, but the Army itself is not a
democracy by any means.

Joining the Army with your attitude would be a very foolish act you
would strongly regret.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

Steve B wrote:
organization if you pick and choose who you will mind and what job you
will perform.

When given an order you need to be able to snap to attention, salute, and
bark "Yes, Sir!" and mean it.

Waffling wavering woosies like you are at the core of what is rotten in
our military. And it shows your lack of immaturity in not being able to
take or follow orders. You think your mommie and daddie were tough about
keeping your room clean and your shoes shined? You ain't seen nothing
yet, and it only starts there.

You do not have what it takes to be a member of the United States
military.

Steve

I had to read that three times. The third time I got to "lack of
immaturity" .....LOL

ff

Okay, okay. Brain fart. Go back and read it again and blot out the "im" in
immaturity.

The rest of my post speaks for itself.

If you are the type of person who only wants to do certain things, and not
others, you would not be military material.

"What do you mean I have to get up at five o'clock in the morning?"

"I'm not eating this swill. I'm a vegan."

"Do I HAVE to shoot at the person shooting at me? I mean, I could hurt
him."

"I'm not doing ANYTHING President Bush has ordered because I don't LIKE
him!"

Like I said, the rest of my post stands. And the one mistake has been
corrected.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Tom Gardner" wrote: The military certainly would not allow people to
think...those people not capable of thinking, like you Leo, but they still
find a useful purpose for the non-thinkers.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Tom, I can't tell whether you are saying I am, or am not capable of
thinking. I won't sleep tonight until you clarify whether I should take it
as an insult or a back-handed compliment.

Unfortunately, having a non-thinker as Commander in Chief has had a
tremendous negative effect on the usefulness of the Army.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
carl mciver

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
et...
| You are not Army material!

I heartily concur. I think he should have joined the Air Force, where
he can feel right at home. As a former jarhead, I'm allowed to make a few
swipes!
Of course in the Air Farce, he could wind up in the middle of nowhere,
with just a couple other bored stiffs minding a "nonexistent" bunker full of
"nonexistent" warheads. He wouldn't very likely wind up in any combat
areas, since he's such a candy ass in the Air Force. (No offense meant to
active or former Air Force airmen, okay? I'm just having some fun!)

I'll offer this much, and I speak from experience. For the most part,
the most exiting jobs in the service have the least amount of useful career
skills/potential pay "on the outside." Aviation and medical offer skills
you can take just about anywhere, but they're not very exciting. If he
really wanted a "guarantee" he should sign up for a six year hitch where the
training is a good bit longer and far more useful, and they're more likely
to put you where you want to be.
However, I watched a lot of folks "rock out" of the schools I went to,
so they were routed to jobs less demanding on their brain on a regular
basis. If you score well on the ASVAB (I did) you can pretty much go where
you want, but that requires you to have a well exercised brain before you
take the test. I studied hard (well, for the most part) and I went on to do
what I planned to do.

I think this fellow's attitude will change a good bit after he spends
some time in. There was a lot of folks in my units that came in as "boots"
with one attitude, eventually realized the error of being whiney asses, and
by the time four years came around they had different attitudes. Some even
got all their **** in one sock and went on to do really well. There's
plenty of time to grow up while you're in, and at that age, a whole lot left
to do. For him, he's got more than most (I think!)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveF

"Nick Hull" wrote in message
In article ,
Jim Stewart wrote:

B.B. wrote:
[...]

That's only if you retire from service. If you resign a commission or elect
to not re-enlist for another period of service you then have a couple of
years in the Individual Ready Reserve. Once that time is up you are done.

Steve.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Barney-Killer

On 29 Jan 2006 01:24:20 -0800, wrote:

B.B. wrote:

[...]

If it's good enough for Prince Harry, it's good enough for me...

If I were 20 years younger, that is...

BK

(Royal Canadian Artillery, retired)

Ubique!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
MOP CAP

DO NOT DO IT. You may have been promised a mechanic school and you will
most likely get it. But that is as far as it goes. They can then send
you to advanced infantry training and you know where that is going.

CP
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"MOP CAP" wrote in message
news:290120061601054882%Pilgrim6nospam@mindspring. com...
DO NOT DO IT. You may have been promised a mechanic school and you will
most likely get it. But that is as far as it goes. They can then send
you to advanced infantry training and you know where that is going.

CP

The typical military - if you're a truck driver, they make you a cook. If
you're a cook, they make you a truck driver.

Go figger.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Unfortunately, having a non-thinker as Commander in Chief has had a
tremendous negative effect on the usefulness of the Army.

It seems obvious that you hate Pres. Bush, therefore everyone in the
President's service and everyone in the service is a "non-thinker". I have
ten relatives in various services in career positions of Major and above,
two are up for Admiral. Let me give you their e-mail addresses so you can
tell them yourself that they are "non-thinkers", be sure to include your
address and phone number! Be sure to thank them for fighting for your right
to sound foolish. I'm not trying to insult you Leo. When I DO insult you,
I'll explain it to you so there's no doubt.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Gardner

Steve, when your spelling or grammar is their best attack, that says
something!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
technomaNge

B.B. wrote:
But there are some magnificently opinionated people in this group, so
I wanted to ask here.

----------snipped-------------
I have until Tuesday afternoon to chicken out.

Welcome to manhood.
The choices ain't always easy or pretty, but you must learn to live
with whatever you have chosen.

If you have any hope of seperating your feeling and keeping them
under control, then you should join.

The bottom line is can you kill to defend yourself? You very likely
will be given a chance to do this.

One advantage to going is you will always afterwards be sure of
who you are and what you stand for, as opposed to being 65 years old
and still wondering if you did the right thing.

Eithor way, keep us informed, if you can.

technomaNge
(59 year old E7 mechanic USAF retiree)
--
Ted Kennedy's car has killed more
people than my gun.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

u wrote:

But there are some magnificently opinionated people in this group, so
I wanted to ask here.
I decided to join the army. I don't want to go into a long
description of why and why now, so just accept for the purposes of this
question that the decision has been made.
Here's the thing: I was opposed to this war before it started and
grow more disgusted with it daily. And I have no respect whatsoever for
George Bush. In your opinions, do you think it'll be possible to
separate that from work in the military? I'll be entering as a
mechanic, not as a fighter, and I plan to do my job--not make some silly
political statement by disrupting the military.
I have until Tuesday afternoon to chicken out.

You already have.

The question is, is your greed more powerful than your fear?

Cap'n

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. net...
Steve, when your spelling or grammar is their best attack, that says
something!

Thank you, Tom. I definitely heard the sound of WHOOSH! ( the sound that
happens when a point flies over an airspace)

When anyone writes in asking about joining the armed forces, yet states they
have reservations about following orders, one must conclude that they are
either a troll, or someone who shouldn't be allowed out in public without
adult supervision.

But then, the military, and the guys have many unusual ways of "teaching"
such people. And, it's amazing what one can learn and how an attitude can
be changed during a "GI shower" or a "blanket party" given by fellow
soldiers. Or just leaving a guy on his own in certain circumstances when he
has stated that he doesn't need any help or any of his fellows.

As to those who hang on grammar or spelling, they just don't have a logical
lucid counterpoint to offer, so they attack any mistake or weakness. They
have no clue about the military, or how things work in the real world.

Body bag material.

Steve

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard Lamb

Steve B wrote:

"MOP CAP" wrote in message
news:290120061601054882%Pilgrim6nospam@mindspring. com...

DO NOT DO IT. You may have been promised a mechanic school and you will
most likely get it. But that is as far as it goes. They can then send
you to advanced infantry training and you know where that is going.

CP

The typical military - if you're a truck driver, they make you a cook. If
you're a cook, they make you a truck driver.

Go figger.

Steve

In the final analysis, every soldier is a rifleman first.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William B Noble (don't reply to this address)

well, one way to get a quick reading - it would take a little courage
or self confidence - is to go to a place where army folks hang out - a
bar, a fast food place near a base, a veteran hall - ask if anyone who
is currently enlisted would care to talk to you about what it's like
inside - maybe buy a beer or a coke for them - and then pose your
question and listen carefully.

I know quite a few folks from various services who are quite anti-war,
and then there are their opposites.

u wrote:

But there are some magnificently opinionated people in this group, so
I wanted to ask here.
I decided to join the army. I don't want to go into a long
description of why and why now, so just accept for the purposes of this
question that the decision has been made.
Here's the thing: I was opposed to this war before it started and
grow more disgusted with it daily. And I have no respect whatsoever for
George Bush. In your opinions, do you think it'll be possible to
separate that from work in the military? I'll be entering as a
mechanic, not as a fighter, and I plan to do my job--not make some silly
political statement by disrupting the military.
I have until Tuesday afternoon to chicken out.

Bill

www.wbnoble.com

to contact me, do not reply to this message,
instead correct this address and use it

will iam_ b_ No ble at msn daught com
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Leo Lichtman wrote:

Unfortunately, having a non-thinker as Commander in Chief has had a
tremendous negative effect on the usefulness of the Army.

I had a lot of fun with the non-thinkers and blaming them in front of a
lot of people. :-)
Some learned the hard way what to do with me and what not.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
ff

Tom Gardner wrote:

Steve, when your spelling or grammar is their best attack, that says
something!

Tom, Steve did not make a mistake in spelling or grammar. He wrote a
_Bushism_

"It's in our country's interests to find those who would do harm to us
and get them out of harm's way." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C.,
April 28, 2005
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve B

"ff" wrote in message
et...
Tom Gardner wrote:

Steve, when your spelling or grammar is their best attack, that says
something!

Tom, Steve did not make a mistake in spelling or grammar. He wrote a
_Bushism_

"It's in our country's interests to find those who would do harm to us and
get them out of harm's way." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., April 28,
2005

Thank you so much for correcting me, Fred. It is nice to know there are
people out there to tell me what I really meant and said.

I think.

NOT!

Steve

new topic, off topic, about new topics [email protected] Woodworking 0 March 27th 05 02:05 PM
OT Guns more Guns Cliff Metalworking 519 December 12th 04 05:52 AM
Transformer question Asimov Electronics Repair 5 September 26th 04 10:51 PM
Simple question regarding Ceiling tiles and sound? lbbs Home Ownership 2 March 25th 04 07:03 PM
Question????? Sir Edgar Woodworking 8 July 20th 03 05:22 PM