AllenB

Default Idiot on Ebay (ohojim)

Some idiot called ohojim is really spoiling the ebay
experience.
I regularly type "lathe" into the search box, to see
what auctions are ending in the next few days, now thanks
to this idiot I get hundreds of listings for books, many
with the same title, it makes it very difficult to browse
the other auctions.
Try typing "live steam" into the search box, the same idiot
has saturated the results with his book listings. Before, I
would get 2 maybe 3 pages of results on this search, it made
it easy to scan, but as a result of this idiot one now has
to wade through 9 pages of listings. Hell, I don't mind if
someone wants to make a buck, and sells new books via ebay,
but at least this idiot could hold one or two dutch auctions
instead of having over 50 listings for each book!
Ebay doesn't care this guy is a big seller.
Paul K. Dickman

This sort of stuff has been going on as long as ebay's been around.
Tweak your search by adding things like lathe -book .
Keep adding subtractions until you get back to a reasonable list of
auctions.
Then bookmark the search page and it'll save your search parameters.

Some of mine have 10 or 15 minus signs.

Paul K. Dickman

AllenB wrote in message . ..
Some idiot called ohojim is really spoiling the ebay
experience.
I regularly type "lathe" into the search box, to see
what auctions are ending in the next few days, now thanks
to this idiot I get hundreds of listings for books, many
with the same title, it makes it very difficult to browse
the other auctions.
Try typing "live steam" into the search box, the same idiot
has saturated the results with his book listings. Before, I
would get 2 maybe 3 pages of results on this search, it made
it easy to scan, but as a result of this idiot one now has
to wade through 9 pages of listings. Hell, I don't mind if
someone wants to make a buck, and sells new books via ebay,
but at least this idiot could hold one or two dutch auctions
instead of having over 50 listings for each book!
Ebay doesn't care this guy is a big seller.

Randy Replogle

AllenB wrote:

Some idiot called ohojim is really spoiling the ebay
experience.
I regularly type "lathe" into the search box,

type:

lathe -mill -projects

(and whatever other words he adds in the titles, etc.)

It'll weed out the extra "junk".

--
Randy Replogle (Central Indiana)

Rick

Simple!

Just exlude the seller from your search. Go to search by seller, and near
the bottom you will see a text box where you can list up to 10 sellers.
Check the box that says exclude this sellers from my search and then type
your search text in the search box. I get about 216 matches for live steam
by excluding ohojim

Nice huh?

Here is a link to the ebay search for live steam - ohojim:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...eam&se=9152677

You can obviously change the search text to lathe or penis pump, or whatever
suits your fancy :-)

Rick

"AllenB" wrote in message
om...
Some idiot called ohojim is really spoiling the ebay
experience.
I regularly type "lathe" into the search box, to see
what auctions are ending in the next few days, now thanks
to this idiot I get hundreds of listings for books, many
with the same title, it makes it very difficult to browse
the other auctions.
Try typing "live steam" into the search box, the same idiot
has saturated the results with his book listings. Before, I
would get 2 maybe 3 pages of results on this search, it made
it easy to scan, but as a result of this idiot one now has
to wade through 9 pages of listings. Hell, I don't mind if
someone wants to make a buck, and sells new books via ebay,
but at least this idiot could hold one or two dutch auctions
instead of having over 50 listings for each book!
Ebay doesn't care this guy is a big seller.

Rick

Just for kicks, here is a link to the ebay search for lathe - ohojim:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...e& se=9152677

Still a lot of hits (2114), but it does cut it down from 4510 (dang that guy
has a lot of stuff up!)

Rick

"Rick" wrote in message
Simple!

Just exlude the seller from your search. Go to search by seller, and near
the bottom you will see a text box where you can list up to 10 sellers.
Check the box that says exclude this sellers from my search and then type
your search text in the search box. I get about 216 matches for live

steam
by excluding ohojim

Nice huh?

Here is a link to the ebay search for live steam - ohojim:

http://search.ebay.com/search/search...eam&se=9152677

You can obviously change the search text to lathe or penis pump, or

whatever
suits your fancy :-)

Rick

"AllenB" wrote in message
om...
Some idiot called ohojim is really spoiling the ebay
experience.
I regularly type "lathe" into the search box, to see
what auctions are ending in the next few days, now thanks
to this idiot I get hundreds of listings for books, many
with the same title, it makes it very difficult to browse
the other auctions.
Try typing "live steam" into the search box, the same idiot
has saturated the results with his book listings. Before, I
would get 2 maybe 3 pages of results on this search, it made
it easy to scan, but as a result of this idiot one now has
to wade through 9 pages of listings. Hell, I don't mind if
someone wants to make a buck, and sells new books via ebay,
but at least this idiot could hold one or two dutch auctions
instead of having over 50 listings for each book!
Ebay doesn't care this guy is a big seller.

Roy

On 31 Dec 2003 13:59:48 -0800, (AllenB) wrote:

[...]

This dude has done this many times before. It got to the point that
you could not type in anything without his crap coming up. Lots of
folks IIRC from this forum emailed him and complaianed, and IIRC it
was around News Years Day the last time he did this, and his excuse
was he did not intend to list that many items and his software program
he uses to post the stuff accidently got carried away. I think he
uses Ebays chance to post for free without a fee from the seller, that
they offer every now and then.

Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Artemia Salina

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 22:49:34 +0000, Rick wrote:

Simple!

Just exlude the seller from your search.

Thanks Rick. That's a big help.

--
"There cannot possibly be a god in heaven watching all of this calmly."
-- Revi Shankar

Grant Erwin

There are two ways to exclude sellers. One is used during a keyword search,
and the syntax is &se=userid1[+userid2..] e.g. &se=8081126001.
The other is used in category searches, like when you're looking at all
metalworking items within the Seattle area and you don't want to see the
idiot who sells manuals. That syntax is e.g.:
&sasellerex=25119449+1796081+111379987+70671053

You should know and become familiar with both of these. This would have
worked to 100% exclude Al Babin back in the day (if any are still around
who remember that rascal). There is no direct way to find a seller's internal
ebay number. If they have an "ebay store" then to get the sellers id place your
cursor over their store in the listing and see what the url is in the status
bar. It will have id/1580591 or some such. Your exclusion qualifier will then be
"&se=1580591" (omit the quotes) tacked to the end of your search url. If they
don't have an ebay store then get their seller id (e.g. "reliabletools") into
your cut/paste buffer and go to Search-By Seller and then put some dummy
keyword in and the seller's id down below and then click "Search" and examine
the url of the following page - it can be inferred from that.

This sounds a little tricky, and in fact, it is. But it is hugely useful and
I use this all the time. Guys on this NG are so smart you shouldn't have any
real trouble with it.

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

Artemia Salina

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 19:03:22 -0800, Grant Erwin wrote:

[Instructions on obtaining a seller's ebay ID # in order to exclude them from
searches]

This sounds a little tricky, and in fact, it is. But it is hugely useful and
I use this all the time. Guys on this NG are so smart you shouldn't have any
real trouble with it.

Thanks for the detailed info, Grant, but wouldn't it be nice if ebay had a
simple "plonk" mechanism? Heck, it'd probably cut down on their administrative
costs if users could ignore errant sellers with a mouse click or two.

I wonder if they could be persuaded to add such a feature?

--
"There cannot possibly be a god in heaven watching all of this calmly."
-- Revi Shankar

ATP

Rick wrote:
no, just go to search by seller tab and exlude a list of up to 10
sellers...works like a champ!

I wish they had a feature that allows you to block a seller's items forever-
I'm in NY and constantly getting the Machinery Values ebay store fantasy
listings that I have to scroll through.

Jim Stewart

ATP wrote:
Rick wrote:

no, just go to search by seller tab and exlude a list of up to 10
sellers...works like a champ!

I wish they had a feature that allows you to block a seller's items forever-
I'm in NY and constantly getting the Machinery Values ebay store fantasy
listings that I have to scroll through.

There's several changes to ebay I'd like to see.
Unfortuately, ebay is not interested in making
any changes that might decrease the number of
sales they do.

Specifically, I'd like to see feedback displayed
only after both parties have entered it. Feedback
is essentially useless because anyone posting
legitimate negative feedback is almost certain
to get revenge negative feedback from the other
party.

ATP

Jim Stewart wrote:
ATP wrote:
Rick wrote:

no, just go to search by seller tab and exlude a list of up to 10
sellers...works like a champ!

I wish they had a feature that allows you to block a seller's items
forever- I'm in NY and constantly getting the Machinery Values ebay
store fantasy listings that I have to scroll through.

There's several changes to ebay I'd like to see.
Unfortuately, ebay is not interested in making
any changes that might decrease the number of
sales they do.

Specifically, I'd like to see feedback displayed
only after both parties have entered it. Feedback
is essentially useless because anyone posting
legitimate negative feedback is almost certain
to get revenge negative feedback from the other
party.

Even scumbags have 98% + ratings!
As far as other changes, how about when you go back to the list of items,
you're directed to the last item you looked at, instead of to the top of the
page?

Mark Jerde

Jim Stewart wrote:

There's several changes to ebay I'd like to see.
Unfortuately, ebay is not interested in making
any changes that might decrease the number of
sales they do.

Hopefully ebay will realize it is the *customers* who buy things that really
drive the train.

-- Mark

A.Gent

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
Specifically, I'd like to see feedback displayed
only after both parties have entered it.

Huh?
So that all a bad seller has to do to avoid negs is not post any feedback?

Jeff

Jim Stewart

A.Gent wrote:
"Jim Stewart" wrote in message

Specifically, I'd like to see feedback displayed
only after both parties have entered it.

Huh?
So that all a bad seller has to do to avoid negs is not post any feedback?

Well, no. I oversimplified it. Both parties
would have a time window to enter feedback.
The point is that the feedback would not be
revealed until after both had had a chance to
enter it.

Grant Erwin

Jim Stewart wrote:
There's several changes to ebay I'd like to see.
Unfortuately, ebay is not interested in making
any changes that might decrease the number of
sales they do.

Specifically, I'd like to see feedback displayed
only after both parties have entered it.

I'll tell you what I'd like to see done differently on ebay regarding
feedback viewing - I wish I could click on the red negative feedbacks
and see just a list of those! I hate having to wade through hundreds of
feedbacks just to look at the bad ones.

Grant

Ron Thompson

As far as other changes, how about when you go back to the list of items,
you're directed to the last item you looked at, instead of to the top of

the
page?

Try using your back button, that is where mine takes me.

--

Ron Thompson
Was On the Beautiful Mississippi Gulf Coast,

http://www.plansandprojects.com

'If you're standing in a puddle, don't touch anything that hums'
From the Red Green show

ATP

Ron Thompson wrote:
As far as other changes, how about when you go back to the list of
items, you're directed to the last item you looked at, instead of to
the top of the page?

Try using your back button, that is where mine takes me.

Maybe it's in my browser, but when I look at a specific item, and then go
back, using the back button, I don't get to the same place on the page and
have to scroll down to find my place.

Bob

Thanks that worked. I saved my little list because advanced features
does not save the list for me. IE

mill wood steam practical manual guides book quality deep chart accuracy
cut how taper operation keep running
build projects list

I now just copy this into advanced features exclude.

Randy Replogle wrote:

AllenB wrote:

Some idiot called ohojim is really spoiling the ebay
experience.
I regularly type "lathe" into the search box,

type:

lathe -mill -projects

(and whatever other words he adds in the titles, etc.)

It'll weed out the extra "junk".

--
Randy Replogle (Central Indiana)

Larry Jaques

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 00:56:40 -0800, Grant Erwin
brought forth from the murky depths:

Jim Stewart wrote:
There's several changes to ebay I'd like to see.
Unfortuately, ebay is not interested in making
any changes that might decrease the number of
sales they do.

Specifically, I'd like to see feedback displayed
only after both parties have entered it.

You receive an email whenever someone posts feedback, so
prompt reaction to that results in the same thing, Jim.

I'll tell you what I'd like to see done differently on ebay regarding
feedback viewing - I wish I could click on the red negative feedbacks
and see just a list of those! I hate having to wade through hundreds of
feedbacks just to look at the bad ones.

I found the link at the bottom of the page where I can set the
list to display 200 feedback messages on one page, so I go there
first. It's MUCH quicker. I also read the non-+++++++++++++++++
messages more carefully than those auto-reply jobs to get an idea
of the seller's actual rep.

I was a victim of the revenge feedback when I dissed a bitz about
sending me a Stanley plane with the handle broken in two and the
holddown screw bent at 20°. She waited nearly 10 days before mailing
it to me, too. Her listing was "small crack in handle". Luckily, I
got to list those in an astonished response. "EFFER!" sez I.

To Vendors: If you want me to even look at your ebay item, do
NOT put "L@@K!!!" or "WOW!" in the title/desc, please. Trust
your viewers to have their own sense of what is and is not a
good value to them. Also, we can tell if the item is offered
without a reserve by the lack of the bright red letters saying
"Reserve Price Not Met". You don't need to tell us.

---
After they make styrofoam, what do they ship it in? --Steven Wright

jim rozen

In article , Larry Jaques says...

To Vendors: If you want me to even look at your ebay item, do
NOT put "L@@K!!!" or "WOW!" in the title/desc, please.

LOL. Search string = " -(l@@k, wow, manual, book, etc....)

Jim

please reply to:

James Waldby

Bob wrote:
Randy Replogle wrote:

type:

lathe -mill -projects

(and whatever other words he adds in the titles, etc.)

It'll weed out the extra "junk".

Thanks that worked. I saved my little list because advanced features
does not save the list for me. IE

mill wood steam practical manual guides book quality deep chart accuracy
cut how taper operation keep running
build projects list

I now just copy this into advanced features exclude.

I'm not sure what you mean by "advanced features does not save the
list". Anyhow, you can save a whole search by clicking "Add to My
Favorite Searches" near the top right of page 1 of search results.
After you save it, click the "lathe -mill -wood -steam -prac" link
on http://cgi1.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...yEbayFavorites
to do the search whenever you want.

With netscape-like browsers, as you view the favorite-searches page,
you can drag-and-drop the lathe-search link onto one of the tools
lines at the top of browser page. (You might also want to Edit
Bookmarks / Bookmark Properties to shorten the resulting tool name;
I have SSell, Serbay, etc. lined up on a tool line, standing for
search by seller, search ebay, etc.)

Re ohojim's book listings, they look like legitimate machining books
(eg, http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2583630752
and http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2583630810 )
properly listed and explained, without any of the tactics proscribed
in http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/...-keywords.html so
I think whoever started the thread is wrong to call ohojim an idiot.
-jiw
Gunner

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 04:39:04 GMT, "ATP"
wrote:

Rick wrote:
no, just go to search by seller tab and exlude a list of up to 10
sellers...works like a champ!

I wish they had a feature that allows you to block a seller's items forever-
I'm in NY and constantly getting the Machinery Values ebay store fantasy
listings that I have to scroll through.

Do they Ever? sell a machine? Hardinge HCs for $4500? weeks and weeks
at a time...

I emailed one such seller a while back...wanting 1995 boom time prices
for obsolete machines..and he emailed back his was worth $xxxx because
it was so much prettier and cleaner. I followed his auctions for
about 2 months and I dont think he ever sold a thing.

Gunner

"Gun Control, the theory that a 110lb grandmother should
fist fight a 250lb 19yr old criminal"
Bob

James Waldby wrote:

[...]

Ok, my browser was not acting properly, but now, after rebooting it is acting
as you say.

jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

Do they Ever? sell a machine? Hardinge HCs for $4500? weeks and weeks
at a time...

What about that guy who wants to sell a rack of old 5Cs for
400 dollars - plus the assorted scrap metal that one would
have to ship, and then pay to have disposed of at your end...

Jim

please reply to:

Christopher Biggs

"Mark Jerde" moved upon the face of the 'Net and spake thusly:

Jim Stewart wrote:

There's several changes to ebay I'd like to see.
Unfortuately, ebay is not interested in making
any changes that might decrease the number of
sales they do.

Hopefully ebay will realize it is the *customers* who buy things that really
drive the train.

But _eBay_'s customers (i.e. the people from whom eBay receives money
in exchange for a service) are the _sellers_.

--cjb
jim rozen

In article , Christopher Biggs says...

But _eBay_'s customers (i.e. the people from whom eBay receives money
in exchange for a service) are the _sellers_.

*exactly*

I'm suprised that ebay allows restrictive searches at
all!

Jim

please reply to:

ATP

wrote:

Rick wrote:
no, just go to search by seller tab and exlude a list of up to 10
sellers...works like a champ!

I wish they had a feature that allows you to block a seller's items
forever- I'm in NY and constantly getting the Machinery Values ebay
store fantasy listings that I have to scroll through.

Do they Ever? sell a machine? Hardinge HCs for $4500? weeks and weeks
at a time...

They occasionally have a real ebay style auction, with no or low reserve.
The rest of the stuff is in their ebay store, where it is apparently cheap
to list items forever. Maybe they are just trying to keep their inventory on
the web and attract inquiries, but it seems to me the prices are so high
they are scaring off most interested parties.

Too_Many_Tools

I have been following this thread with some interest since this
practice of multiple listings for the same item is a pet peeve of
mine. When one is on a dialup with limited bandwidth, any behavior
like this uses bandwidth that one can ill afford to squander.

While there has been a number of good suggestions, I have yet to see
the one I use. If a seller chooses to "spam" the listings with
multiple listings of the same item, I send them a short email pointing
out that Dutch auctions should be used for this type of item. I also
mention that if I see it occurring again I will NEVER purchase
ANYTHING from them. In the end, some sellers take the hint and modify
their behavior while others (Ohojim) never learn. If everyone who
reads this newsgroup would send a "friendly" reminder to Ohojim
mentioning that his questionable sales tactics are negatively
affecting his bottom line, I suspect that this would be the last time
you see this problem from him. If he doesn't get the message from your
emails, by carrying through with not buying from him will definitely
get the message through.

TMT

(Dave) wrote in message om...
(AllenB) wrote in message . com...
Some idiot called ohojim is really spoiling the ebay
experience.
I regularly type "lathe" into the search box, to see
what auctions are ending in the next few days, now thanks
to this idiot I get hundreds of listings for books, many
with the same title, it makes it very difficult to browse
the other auctions.
Try typing "live steam" into the search box, the same idiot
has saturated the results with his book listings. [...]

Often it is possible to limit the search to one category such as
"Business and Industrial" and avoid the toys and games.

Brian Lawson

Hey TMT,

Yeah.... but he is SUCH a nice guy! OHO stands for One Horse Outfit,
and that's him. Good seller in my books, although I agree about the
band width. Blowing through his stuff can slow you down so much that
you miss a bid on an item you wanted due to bid closing time-out.

Take care.

Happy New Year.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXX

(Dave) wrote in message om...
(AllenB) wrote in message . com...
Some idiot called ohojim is really spoiling the ebay
experience.
I regularly type "lathe" into the search box, to see
what auctions are ending in the next few days, now thanks
to this idiot I get hundreds of listings for books, many
with the same title, it makes it very difficult to browse
the other auctions.
Try typing "live steam" into the search box, the same idiot
has saturated the results with his book listings. [...]

Often it is possible to limit the search to one category such as
"Business and Industrial" and avoid the toys and games.

axolotl

AllenB wrote:
Some idiot called ohojim is really spoiling the ebay
experience.
I regularly type "lathe" into the search box, to see
what auctions are ending in the next few days, now thanks
to this idiot I get hundreds of listings for books, many
with the same title, it makes it very difficult to browse
the other auctions.

Just in case someone wanted to do business with OHOJIM, it might be
illuminating to read what his reply to this same situation last year
(from Google).

*//////////////////////////////

You may be surprised to know that I agree with you!

I had been working on my launch-bots for two days and was in the process of
separating the ones out I didn't want to use. About 11:30 that night I got
an email from eBay telling me that the next day, Dec. 26th, was a free
listing day. I spent the next 3 hours purging all those I didn't intend to
use, hit the launch button and went to bed about 1:30AM. When I got up the
next morning, to my horror they had all launched! Including all the ones I
thought I had purged which was mostly made up of duplicates! I guess by 1:30
I had gotten too punchy.

This was certainly not intentional and will never happen again - I hope! At
least this one time boo boo by me will be over in a very few days. Everybody
makes mistakes from time to time but it seems I make the big ones!

I appreciate your concern and your patience.

///////////////////*

I believe Nat Cole wrote the lyrics for this one.

"your story is so touching but it sounds just like a lie"

Kevin Gallimore

Dave Ficken

Grant Erwin wrote
There is no direct way to find a seller's internal
ebay number. If they have an "ebay store" then to get the sellers id place your
cursor over their store in the listing and see what the url is in the status
bar. It will have id/1580591

Grant,
You don't need the ebay store for this. Goto search by seller and at
the bottom of the page search for more than one ebay id (yours plus
the other guy). It will show the id numbers in the url.

Regards,
dave
Mike Henry

A lot of his stuff seems to come straight from Lindsay. I haven't looked at
his auctions lately but a while back he seemed to be listing Lindsay's books
to open at higher than Lindsay's list price.

(Too_Many_Tools) wrote:

[...]

(Dave) wrote in message

om...
(AllenB) wrote in message
. com...
Some idiot called ohojim is really spoiling the ebay
experience.
I regularly type "lathe" into the search box, to see
what auctions are ending in the next few days, now thanks
to this idiot I get hundreds of listings for books, many
with the same title, it makes it very difficult to browse
the other auctions.
Try typing "live steam" into the search box, the same idiot
has saturated the results with his book listings. [...]

Often it is possible to limit the search to one category such as
"Business and Industrial" and avoid the toys and games.

Ms. Manners

axolotl wrote:

AllenB wrote:
Some idiot called ohojim is really spoiling the ebay

(snip)
Just in case someone wanted to do business with OHOJIM, it might be
illuminating to read what his reply to this same situation last year
(from Google).

*/////////////////
[...]

His excuse THIS YEAR:
(e-mail from OHOJIM, sent to me)

"Oh man! I screwed up!
"
"It's even worse than you think! It was 2am and I did something wrong!
I'm still trying to figure out what it was because I sure don't want
to do that again! I'd taken a sleeping pill about 9:30 with my
prostate medicine so I could go to sleep and I went in to check the
computer one last time. I saw that Friday was a free listing day so I
told my wife I had to go back to the shop. I didn't remember the
sleeping pill until I realized I just couldn't think and I was getting
sleepy as hell. That was about 1am I kept at it until 2am and just
gave up and went home. I didn't think I'd
"gotten any auctions launched until about noon the next day when they
all began to show up!
"
"At least half of them will be gone by Monday and all of them by
Friday.
"
"Thanks for your patience!
"
"Jim
"
"

Furniture design vintage carpentry [email protected] UK diy 2 June 1st 04 11:35 PM
eBay Scam Marv Soloff Metalworking 5 December 31st 03 01:16 PM
Ebay Bogus No Reserve Listings Jon Elson Metalworking 15 October 10th 03 07:33 AM
OT - Lightweight Ebay shipping fee scam Jim Stewart Metalworking 11 July 20th 03 12:41 PM