SteveB

Default American Chopper Observations

I love this show. At first, I thought, "Just how many ways can you build a
bike that has two wheels, an engine, and some handlebars?"

Well, a hell of a lot more than I ever thought of. I thought it was going
to be another Monster Garage where people build ridiculous things to prove
they can MIG weld and use a plasma cutter. I am personally not interested
in a minivan that doubles as a garbage truck.

But watching the American Chopper show, I have a few things I would like to
mention:

Pauly - What's up with this kid? At first, I thought he was fighting back
against his domineering father, but have come to believe he is somewhat of a
Grinch. Evidence: the Santa bike. Couldn't suck it up and just say, "Lets
do this for the fun of it and the kids." Had to say, "This is below the
standards of OCC." Or something equally stupid. The guy welds and grinds
without PPE, how much can he know? Too prissified for me.

Vinny - Simply put, the guy that makes Pauly look so good. If Vinny died,
Pauly would be dead in the water. Like Mikey got to do, I would like to see
Vinny get a project, and a couple of helpers and see what they came up with.
But then, it might show who REALLLY has the brains and talent between Pauly
and Vinny. Or maybe they are just equals.

Mikey - Mikey has come a long way. He has a heart as big as his ass, and a
sense of humor that runs very deep. He jumped right in there with the Santa
bike project, and the Christmas tree and the angel on top were classic.
Pauly would never have acted so "childish". I love shows that have Mikey in
them.

The two elves who helped with the Santa bike - A couple of classy dudes.
AND, unlike Pauly and Vinnie, wore their PPE while grinding. The reindeer
head fender came out great, although I was having misgivings when first I
saw it going together. They are not to be passed over lightly.

The Old Man - Really showed he had a soft heart with the Santa bike. But
then, pulled over a double yellow line to pass the camera truck. WTF was HE
thinking? And him clowning with Mikey showed he is just a big teddy bear
with a big mustache.

Looking forward to another season of AC.

Happy Holidays to all.

Steve

Randy Zimmerman

If you look carefully you can see that this is just a family of
Ironworkers. I have had the occasion to work with Iron workers inside shops
and they tend to be rough around the edges, have trouble dealing with others
in a reasonable manner etc.
Ironworker to Ironworker there is no problem because you see what you
get. They will call you every name in the book then sit down and have
coffee with you talking about last nights game. If you carry a grudge about
what was said a few hours or days ago you will drive yourself crazy with
baggage.
I work with a rather mellow ironworker who is between jobs and goes all
over the world. He has seen a guy throw a spud wrench into a crane
operator's window. I did my apprenticeship training adjacent to the
Ironworkers classes. There is lots of verbal abuse between instructor and
students. It would make an office worker wilt or go running to the human
resources department complaining of harassment. When I discuss the goings
on in a steel shop to a salaried suit and tie type they think I am
embellishing and exaggerating.
I get the feeling that Papa has given the boys a free ride rather than
put them out in the field where they would be "moulded" pretty damn quick or
run off the jobsite.
I also get the feeling that Vinny is in from his ironworking job for
extra change. He knows who pays his wages and isn't about to screw up a
good thing working inside for a change.
They got a good thing portraying a slightly rougher side of life that TV
audiences lap up. Wish I had thought of it.
Still I would like to see the goings on of Orange County Ironworks.
Randy

"SteveB" wrote in message
[...]

Cuezilla

I think these guys are a joke. They have been building bikes for like
3 years and somehow got this reality show. There is something wrong
with every bike they build. And what is with all the deadlines? That
plot has gotten really thin. I can't believe anyone is really buying
those bikes they build. There are too many real bike builders out
there to deal with those guys.

[...]

Barry S.

On Wed, 24 Dec 2003 15:56:42 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

I love this show. At first, I thought, "Just how many ways can you build a
bike that has two wheels, an engine, and some handlebars?"

Well, a hell of a lot more than I ever thought of. I thought it was going
to be another Monster Garage where people build ridiculous things to prove
they can MIG weld and use a plasma cutter. I am personally not interested
in a minivan that doubles as a garbage truck.

I have a different view. I believe they are low end system
integrators. The really high skill work is done by others. They take
a bunch of prefabbed parts and put them together.

1. Painting gets farmed out
2. Most real welding, the frame, seems to get sent out
3. Any CNC work gets done elsewhere
4. Major components like engines are .. from somewhere else

Most of the show is the kid and father screaming at each other while
the kid tries to put the erector set together in time for a show. I
can't get excited about that.

I find I'm really not impressed that Pauly can tack parts together
with a MIG welder while not utilizing proper safety attire.

Monster Garage is about building something stupid rather than
personality driven. I think the older Junkyard Wars were very
inventive and creative.. I hate the new episodes of Junkyard Mega
Wars..

I'd like to see "Plumbing at your Local Nucler Power Plant" Today
we'll be doing a TIG root pass, 7018 cover, and then NDT the whole
thing on a critical cooling pipe.. If this weld fails, its not just
curtains for the team!" I'm amazed Discovery Networks hasn't hired
me as a consultant!

__________________
Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'.
N38.6 W121.4

Tim Williams

"Barry S." wrote in message
Monster Garage is about building something stupid rather than
personality driven.

Hell, I love Monster Garage... by stupid you of course mean silly.
There's a hint of that drama/pressure/reality TV crap but you get
that just about anywhere on TV these days.

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

CROQ

wrote:

I'd like to see "Plumbing at your Local Nucler Power Plant" Today
we'll be doing a TIG root pass, 7018 cover, and then NDT the whole
thing on a critical cooling pipe.. If this weld fails, its not just
curtains for the team!" I'm amazed Discovery Networks hasn't hired
me as a consultant!

I wanted to do this for PBS back in the 80's, maybe its time has come.

Tom Del Rosso

In news:VIpGb.39018$BQ5.35833@fed1read03,
SteveB typed:
I love this show. At first, I thought, "Just how many ways can you
build a bike that has two wheels, an engine, and some handlebars?"

I hate the show. I'd like to see skilled people demonstrate their
techniques, and I have no use *at* *all* for watching them yell at each
other. On TLC they have shows that explain the techniques of heart
surgery though, but I don't know why.

--
-Reply in group, but if emailing add 2 more zeros-
-and remove the obvious-

SteveB

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in message
In news:VIpGb.39018$BQ5.35833@fed1read03,
SteveB typed:
I love this show. At first, I thought, "Just how many ways can you
build a bike that has two wheels, an engine, and some handlebars?"

I hate the show. I'd like to see skilled people demonstrate their
techniques, and I have no use *at* *all* for watching them yell at each
other. On TLC they have shows that explain the techniques of heart
surgery though, but I don't know why.

--
-Reply in group, but if emailing add 2 more zeros-
-and remove the obvious-

It's entertainment, not a how-to show.

Get it?

No?

sigh .................

Steve

Tom Del Rosso

In news:dtxGb.39049$BQ5.467@fed1read03,
SteveB typed:

It's entertainment, not a how-to show.

Get it?

No?

sigh .................

That some people find it entertaining? Yeah, I get that. To me it's a
soap opera filled with acrimony.

--
-Reply in group, but if emailing add 2 more zeros-
-and remove the obvious-

JTMcC

wrote:

[...]

Please, lets make that "steamfitting" at the local nuke. To call a proper
steamfitter a plumber is an insult of high order. Thanks g

JTMcC.

.. If this weld fails, its not just
curtains for the team!" I'm amazed Discovery Networks hasn't hired
me as a consultant!

__________________
Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with

'mail'.
N38.6 W121.4

Mark

"SteveB"
wrote:
I love this show.

Barry S. wrote:

I have a different view. I believe they are low end system
integrators. The really high skill work is done by others. They take
a bunch of prefabbed parts and put them together.

That's my second biggest problem with the show, they buy components and
screw them together. Or as you so nicely wrote their little more than
system integrators. They really don't build anything.

I feel this is what 'custom' has come to mean with about everything, the
assembly of mass produced parts.

Biggest problem I have with the show? The old mans mouth.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

SteveB

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in message
In news:dtxGb.39049$BQ5.467@fed1read03,
SteveB typed:

It's entertainment, not a how-to show.

Get it?

No?

sigh .................

That some people find it entertaining? Yeah, I get that. To me it's a
soap opera filled with acrimony.

--

Well, there's always Jerry Springer, Oprah, and rasslin'.

Steve

Backlash

No matter what you all may think about American Chopper, Monster Garage,
etc. I think these programs have ignited a spark of metalworking creativity
in the American public not seen since the Industrial Revolution. I now have
a couple of friend's teenage sons hanging around my shop trying to
experience and learn ANYTHING they can about bikes and any other machinery.
This is especially gratifying to me, as I was taken under the wing of an
older mentor at the age of 16, and have always wanted to be able to pay it
forward. He died 2 years ago, so now it's my turn. Along with my 2 sons,
these other 2 young men will be part of my legacy, such as it is. Four
present and future members of the metalworking fellowship we all here hold
so dear.

RJ

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in message
In news:dtxGb.39049$BQ5.467@fed1read03,
SteveB typed:

It's entertainment, not a how-to show.

Get it?

No?

sigh .................

That some people find it entertaining? Yeah, I get that. To me it's a
soap opera filled with acrimony.

--

Well, there's always Jerry Springer, Oprah, and rasslin'.

Steve

Tom Del Rosso

In ,
Backlash typed:
No matter what you all may think about American Chopper, Monster
Garage, etc. I think these programs have ignited a spark of
metalworking creativity in the American public not seen since the
Industrial Revolution. I now have a couple of friend's teenage sons
hanging around my shop trying to experience and learn ANYTHING they
can about bikes and any other machinery. This is especially
gratifying to me, as I was taken under the wing of an older mentor at
the age of 16, and have always wanted to be able to pay it forward.
He died 2 years ago, so now it's my turn. Along with my 2 sons, these
other 2 young men will be part of my legacy, such as it is. Four
present and future members of the metalworking fellowship we all here
hold so dear.

That's great, but it would be better if those shows would teach
something. The ealy Junkyard Wars included brief descriptions of
techniques. When I try to watch AC it becomes clear very quickly that
I'm not going to pick up anything. The Bikes are nice to look at but
that's all.

MERRY CHRISTMAS ALL.

--
-Reply in group, but if emailing add 2 more zeros-
-and remove the obvious-

Tom Del Rosso

In news:AwGGb.39700$BQ5.5905@fed1read03,
SteveB typed:

Well, there's always Jerry Springer, Oprah, and rasslin'.

For people who want to learn something, there's Nova, Frontline,
Uncommon Knowledge, Think Tank, The Open Mind, etc. For woodworking
there's New Yankee Workshop. There's also The Joy of Painting for
anybody who wants that. I wouldn't mind if there was something useful
about metalworking, instead of the "Thick-Headed Guys Yelling at Each
Other" show.

I have tried to watch it, and when I see some parts go together I'm at
the edge of my seat waiting to see how he's going to line that up so
it's perfectly centered and perpendicular before he welds it. Then I
sink back into the chair when the camera cuts to some more acrimony.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

--
-Reply in group, but if emailing add 2 more zeros-
-and remove the obvious-

Backlash

You're right, it would be great if the machinery was being built
step-by-step in real time, then I would REALLY be watching them. But we seem
to live in an instant gratification society that would quickly become bored
and turn the channel. I don't think any of us hard core shop types would,
but hey, it's coming around. We didn't even used to have THIS. One thing we
can do to "improve" these shows is email their sites and the sites of their
sponsers to express our opinions.

RJ

[...]

Cuezilla

I think there is more to it then that. Even though you are building a
theme bike, first and foremost, should be the performance and safety
whth which the bike can be ridden. Almost all the bikes they build,
look like it is all they can do to just get the bike on the road long
enough to show it. They are all junk in my opinion and although it is
not a how to show, there are right and wrongs, especially when it
comes to shop safety. They epitomize some of the worst I have ever
seen in craftsman. They build little more then facsimiles of
motorcycles. If they were real bike builders, it would not be possible
for them to ignore the performance of the bike, it would not be in
their nature. They are an embarrassment. There should be s disclaimer
at the beginning, saying "This in not meant to be the way you work in
a shop, nor meant to be how you build a properly built motorcycle.
These bikes are just for show and not meant to be ridden".

It's entertainment, not a how-to show.

Get it?

No?

sigh .................

Steve

PhysicsGenius

Tom Del Rosso wrote:
In ,
Backlash typed:

[...]

I'd really love a show that taught metalworking, but I for one never
expected AC to be that show. That would be like expecting Star Trek to
teach astronomy. The science (or metalworking/gas engine
repair/business operations in the case of American Chopper) is just a
backdrop to the human drama. I happen to like the human drama shown on
AC, but not every person likes every other person, so clearly it won't
appeal to everyone.

However, disliking the show for not meeting goals that it wasn't
designed to meet isn't really fair.

gfulton

I'd like to see "Plumbing at your Local Nucler Power Plant" Today
we'll be doing a TIG root pass, 7018 cover, and then NDT the whole
thing on a critical cooling pipe.

Please, lets make that "steamfitting" at the local nuke. To call a proper
steamfitter a plumber is an insult of high order. Thanks g

JTMcC.

A serious understatement, in my opinion. My stepfather and stepbrother
were journeyman pipefitters and both considered plumbers to be a lower
lifeform. I asked them about this attitude once and my stepbrother
said,"Because they put their hands and face where we ****."

Garrett Fulton

Jim Stewart

Mark wrote:

"SteveB"
wrote:

I love this show.

Barry S. wrote:

I have a different view. I believe they are low end system
integrators. The really high skill work is done by others. They take
a bunch of prefabbed parts and put them together.

That's my second biggest problem with the show, they buy components and
screw them together. Or as you so nicely wrote their little more than
system integrators. They really don't build anything.

I feel this is what 'custom' has come to mean with about everything, the
assembly of mass produced parts.

Biggest problem I have with the show? The old mans mouth.

Me too. I think that Vinnie does have a lot of
talent, but the constant "get to work, you don't
know what I have to put up with" is getting old
fast. We all know that it's not easy to work for
your old man, but it still shouldn't be that hard.

It's been pointed out that they are just systems
integrators, but I tend to give them quite a bit
more credit than that. I think that Vinnie does
have some serious artistic talent going for him.
He manages to pull together the outside vendors,
who are for the most part, serious craftsmen/
artists themselves, to produce a beautiful product.
The market certainly acknowledges the worth of
their work.

The *real* genuis might be the person at the
Discovery Channel that went out on a limb to do
a series on them.

Barry S.

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 15:58:41 GMT, "JTMcC"
wrote:

"Barry S." wrote in message
I'd like to see "Plumbing at your Local Nucler Power Plant" Today
we'll be doing a TIG root pass, 7018 cover, and then NDT the whole
thing on a critical cooling pipe.

Please, lets make that "steamfitting" at the local nuke. To call a proper
steamfitter a plumber is an insult of high order. Thanks g

John: No doubt, the skill level is very different for someone doing
inspection quality welds at a nuclear plant as opposed to adding a
sewer pipe to the house. However, I don't think most of America has
any idea what a steamfitter is or that it isn't simply tacking two
pieces of metal together. I'd love to sell this one to the
programming folks at various cable networks. :-)

"Steamfitting at Your Local Nuclear Plant" -- It might grow on me.

. If this weld fails, its not just
curtains for the team!" I'm amazed Discovery Networks hasn't hired
me as a consultant!

"Monster Nuclear Power Plant Repairs, hosted by Martha Stewart": Today
We'll be pressure testing one of the containment structure of our
local nuclear powerplant with air infused with fragrances .. Come
join us as we explore the inside of these magnificent structures while
we keep track of how much radiation we're absorbing..

I tell ya, with (mostly bad) ideas like this, they oughta be seeking
my opinion out for new shows.

__________________
Note: To reply, replace the word 'spam' embedded in return address with 'mail'.
N38.6 W121.4
JTMcC

wrote:

"Barry S." wrote in message
I'd like to see "Plumbing at your Local Nucler Power Plant" Today
we'll be doing a TIG root pass, 7018 cover, and then NDT the whole
thing on a critical cooling pipe.

Please, lets make that "steamfitting" at the local nuke. To call a proper
steamfitter a plumber is an insult of high order. Thanks g

John: No doubt, the skill level is very different for someone doing
inspection quality welds at a nuclear plant as opposed to adding a
sewer pipe to the house.

I'm not making a dig at the skill level of plumbers, I've been in equipment
rooms with miles of beautifull and skillfully done copper pipe, from real
small up to 6" and I can just stand there and admire the craftmanship. I
don't have any interest in soldering and brasing and sweating but I get a
kick out of watching real skilled hands at work.
I was only pointing out that the steamfitters and pipefitters of the world
don't care to be lumped in with the plumbers, it's a hangup they have g.

Ho! Ho! Ho!
JTMcC.

[...]

JTMcC

"Backlash" wrote in message
[...]

I've got to agree about the level of public interest being up from the last
few years. As I installed the new CD player in my daughters truck this
afternoon, she commented that welding was "the" cool thing at the High
school this year amoungst the young men. A few years ago everyone was being
heavily directed into computer related classes. They have eased up a lot on
that front.
I also get a lot more folks visiting with me when I'm fueling my welding
rig, asking about my machine, what we do, ect. Probably twice as many as a
couple of years ago.

Deck-a-Halls,

JTMcC.

"SteveB" wrote in message

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in message
In news:dtxGb.39049$BQ5.467@fed1read03,
SteveB typed:

It's entertainment, not a how-to show.

Get it?

No?

sigh .................

That some people find it entertaining? Yeah, I get that. To me it's

soap opera filled with acrimony.

--

Well, there's always Jerry Springer, Oprah, and rasslin'.

Steve

SteveB

"Backlash" wrote in message
You're right, it would be great if the machinery was being built
step-by-step in real time, then I would REALLY be watching them. But we

seem
to live in an instant gratification society that would quickly become

bored
and turn the channel. I don't think any of us hard core shop types would,
but hey, it's coming around. We didn't even used to have THIS. One thing

we
can do to "improve" these shows is email their sites and the sites of

their
sponsers to express our opinions.

I wondered about that now thinking in retrospect. The old man said they had
just a few days to get the bike together. Then at the end, the CNC candy
cane wheels came in. And the paint job was delivered. If they got that
kind of turnaround on those wheels, I am really impressed. And if paint
will dry like that in a couple of days or less, I am more impressed.

But I don't think so.

Steve

Mark

Tom Del Rosso wrote:

I have tried to watch it, and when I see some parts go together I'm at
the edge of my seat waiting to see how he's going to line that up so
it's perfectly centered and perpendicular before he welds it. Then I
sink back into the chair when the camera cuts to some more acrimony.

No ****? I thought I was the only one.

It's a form of Male clitorus interruptus.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

Mark

PhysicsGenius wrote:

.... The science (or metalworking/gas engine
repair/business operations in the case of American Chopper) is just a
backdrop to the human drama. I happen to like the human drama shown on
AC, but not every person likes every other person, so clearly it won't
appeal to everyone.

And some watch WWF.

I think the analogy valid.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

Mark

Barry S. wrote:

John: No doubt, the skill level is very different for someone doing
inspection quality welds at a nuclear plant as opposed to adding a
sewer pipe to the house.

But for some reason the homeowner gets more ****ed at their **** pipe
oozing than the Nuke a few counties over damned near going China Syndrome.

"Monster Nuclear Power Plant Repairs, hosted by Martha Stewart": Today
We'll be pressure testing one of the containment structure of our
local nuclear powerplant with air infused with fragrances ..

A better subject would be 'how to detect fraudulent x-rays'.

Being in north east Ohio and down wind of Davis-Bessie in the winter I
think of these things.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

Thirsty Viking

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in message
In ,
Backlash typed:

That's great, but it would be better if those shows would teach
something. The ealy Junkyard Wars included brief descriptions of
techniques. When I try to watch AC it becomes clear very quickly that
I'm not going to pick up anything. The Bikes are nice to look at but
that's all.

Ok, I'm going to take a different View here. I see these
shows as very empowering. Yes the Pauly is a system
integrator with some basic metal skills. maybe more
than basic. But what he is is a bike designer... he comes
up with concepts (sometimes with help). He builds
show bikes.

If Pauly tried to build 100% of that bike himself.... he'd
build what 1-2 bikes a year maybe? That is assuming he
had anywhere near the ability to design and build an engine.

The lesson of AC is that if you can concieve it clearly,
there are people and companies out there with the skill
to produce every part you need. The painter is incredible,
so are several of the other suppliers.

The other lesson is that you need only master one facet
of the process to find yourself a niche. Like the people
who do the wheels, or the paint, or the engine manufacturer.

Jesse James had two specials inside West Coast
Choppers that showed a lot of building the bikes,
but he used outside engines and wheels and painters
as well. I don't think a small custom bike shop has
the volume to employ a fulltime master painter.
Also even though Jesse used to make his own tanks,
I believe by the second special he was farming that
out too, I definately remember him farming out the
seats.

I definately remember several parts being farmed
out when they had competitions between various
motorcycle builders.

There are just too many skills to do in low vollume
for it to all be efficiently in one company. Heck
even MAJOR AUTO companies purchase many of
thier part assemblies rather than manufacture every
part themselves from raw material.

Thirsty Viking

You of course are welcome to your opinions, but lets
face it, they aren't building racing bikes. Niether MPG
nor 0-60 times are of particular concern. Both figures
will be far better than your typical minivan. As long
as the bikes do 80 MPH smoothly, the parts don't fall
off, and it doesn't breakdown ... few really care about
the rest.

Yes the bikes they build for the show are Themed
Show bikes for displaying thier design abilities...
These are not the retail bikes.

"Cuezilla" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Neil Ellwood

On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 20:54:32 +0000, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
For woodworking
there's New Yankee Workshop.

The only thing anyone could learn fron NYW is that hand tools aren't used
anymore and you need a workshop the size of an aircraft hangar to fit in
all the power tools that are an absolute necessity. It is entertainment
not education.

--
Neil
Delete delete to reply by email

V8TR4

I did also learn that "Jig"s are magically available for every wood project
you start. All you have to do is pick the project, talk about it and then
reach to the right and when you pull your arm back a jig will be in your
hand that will eliminate the chore of the cut or setup.

"Neil Ellwood" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 20:54:32 +0000, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
For woodworking
there's New Yankee Workshop.

The only thing anyone could learn fron NYW is that hand tools aren't used
anymore and you need a workshop the size of an aircraft hangar to fit in
all the power tools that are an absolute necessity. It is entertainment
not education.

--
Neil
Delete delete to reply by email

Tom Del Rosso

In ,
PhysicsGenius typed:

I'd really love a show that taught metalworking, but I for one never
expected AC to be that show. That would be like expecting Star Trek
to teach astronomy. The science (or metalworking/gas engine
repair/business operations in the case of American Chopper) is just a
backdrop to the human drama. I happen to like the human drama shown
on AC, but not every person likes every other person, so clearly it
won't appeal to everyone.

TLC has shows about surgery. They don't try to educate, but even those
shows manage to explain some techniques. Junkyard wars explains a
little technique sometimes, or at least the early ones did. AC is just
drama. I just think they could put in at least some how-to as well. As
every says the skilled work is farmed out, so maybe there could be a
show filmed in a different shop.

--
-Reply in group, but if emailing add 2 more zeros-
-and remove the obvious-

SteveB

Default As The Grinding Wheel Turns

There are so many home improvement TV shows out there right now.
Jeeeeeeeeeeezus, if Christopher Lloyd can mince and flame his way to success
with lace and spraypaint, someone should be able to do it with a
metalworking show.

Show things like:

How to make a wrought iron gate, complete with bending the scrolls, how to
mount hinges, lockbox, spring lock, closure spring, etc.

How to make a simple forge.

How to properly adjust an OA rig.

Welding basics.

Tool safety.

Principles of bending metal.

and on and on and on .............................

There are so many subjects that the more I think about it, the more I want
to go to Hollywood (or Hoboken) or wherever these programs originate and
hawk the idea.

I think enough people would watch to make it a success. And just like every
other kind of show, it would help more people get into it and those who are
now doing it to do a better job.

Steve

Jon Anderson

Cuezilla wrote:

They build little more then facsimiles of motorcycles. If they
were real bike builders, it would not be possible for them to
ignore the performance of the bike, it would not be in
their nature. They are an embarrassment.

I watched part of the show where they built the Snap-On bike. The
segment where Paul is pitching his ideas to the Snap-On honcho pretty
much says it all. Built for show and ego, not go.
If they really do build these bikes in a matter of days, that's an
accomplishment for sure. But I'd rather have some quality that took time
to make.
Buck can probably make a knife in a matter of hours, however I'm rather
fond of my hand made Randall that took 18 months to get...

But even if OCC is more or less building lightly and gaudily decorated
catalog bikes, they are showing the general public that there are
alternatives to the ocean of bland generic products that surround us,
that individuality, if not good taste, can be obtained, and metalworking
can be something other than a dull dreary dead-end job. I sure wouldn't
mind the sort of income they are pulling in...G

Jon
Jon Anderson

SteveB wrote:

There are so many subjects that the more I think about it, the
more I want to go to Hollywood (or Hoboken) or wherever these
programs originate and hawk the idea.

These programs often originate with an individual. Several years ago I
was making parts for a company involved in skin care. The owner had met
a woman that had a show on health and skin care, and I got to talk to
her once. She said it's a lot like starting any business, putting
together a full-on business plan. Certainly having connections helps, as
does approaching the right folks.
Junk Yard Wars had just come out, and I mentioned offhand I could
envision similar types of shows. She offered to put me in touch with the
"right people". That's not really my thing, and I let it go. I don't
recall her name, but if you are serious, I might be able to track her
down.

Jon

Rex B

| It's entertainment, not a how-to show.
|
| Get it?
|
| No?
|
| sigh .................
|
| That some people find it entertaining? Yeah, I get that. To me it's a
| soap opera filled with acrimony.

I think that's "antimony"
Rex in Fort Worth
Neil Ellwood

On Fri, 26 Dec 2003 12:27:00 +0000, V8TR4 wrote:

I did also learn that "Jig"s are magically available for every wood project
you start. All you have to do is pick the project, talk about it and then
reach to the right and when you pull your arm back a jig will be in your
hand that will eliminate the chore of the cut or setup.

"Neil Ellwood" wrote in message
news
On Thu, 25 Dec 2003 20:54:32 +0000, Tom Del Rosso wrote:
For woodworking
there's New Yankee Workshop.

The only thing anyone could learn fron NYW is that hand tools aren't used
anymore and you need a workshop the size of an aircraft hangar to fit in
all the power tools that are an absolute necessity. It is entertainment
not education.

I think Norm has Father Christmas and his elves working overtime.