Jon Anderson

Default American Chopper Observations

Cuezilla wrote:

They build little more then facsimiles of motorcycles. If they
were real bike builders, it would not be possible for them to
ignore the performance of the bike, it would not be in
their nature. They are an embarrassment.

I watched part of the show where they built the Snap-On bike. The
segment where Paul is pitching his ideas to the Snap-On honcho pretty
much says it all. Built for show and ego, not go.
If they really do build these bikes in a matter of days, that's an
accomplishment for sure. But I'd rather have some quality that took time
to make.
Buck can probably make a knife in a matter of hours, however I'm rather
fond of my hand made Randall that took 18 months to get...

But even if OCC is more or less building lightly and gaudily decorated
catalog bikes, they are showing the general public that there are
alternatives to the ocean of bland generic products that surround us,
that individuality, if not good taste, can be obtained, and metalworking
can be something other than a dull dreary dead-end job. I sure wouldn't
mind the sort of income they are pulling in...G

Jon