Thirsty Viking

Default American Chopper Observations

"Tom Del Rosso" wrote in message
In ,
Backlash typed:

That's great, but it would be better if those shows would teach
something. The ealy Junkyard Wars included brief descriptions of
techniques. When I try to watch AC it becomes clear very quickly that
I'm not going to pick up anything. The Bikes are nice to look at but
that's all.

Ok, I'm going to take a different View here. I see these
shows as very empowering. Yes the Pauly is a system
integrator with some basic metal skills. maybe more
than basic. But what he is is a bike designer... he comes
up with concepts (sometimes with help). He builds
show bikes.

If Pauly tried to build 100% of that bike himself.... he'd
build what 1-2 bikes a year maybe? That is assuming he
had anywhere near the ability to design and build an engine.

The lesson of AC is that if you can concieve it clearly,
there are people and companies out there with the skill
to produce every part you need. The painter is incredible,
so are several of the other suppliers.

The other lesson is that you need only master one facet
of the process to find yourself a niche. Like the people
who do the wheels, or the paint, or the engine manufacturer.

Jesse James had two specials inside West Coast
Choppers that showed a lot of building the bikes,
but he used outside engines and wheels and painters
as well. I don't think a small custom bike shop has
the volume to employ a fulltime master painter.
Also even though Jesse used to make his own tanks,
I believe by the second special he was farming that
out too, I definately remember him farming out the
seats.

I definately remember several parts being farmed
out when they had competitions between various
motorcycle builders.

There are just too many skills to do in low vollume
for it to all be efficiently in one company. Heck
even MAJOR AUTO companies purchase many of
thier part assemblies rather than manufacture every
part themselves from raw material.