Time Traveler

Default Home Depot complaint number

Has anyone had a bad experience in using the Home Depot 800 complaint
number?I refer to them taking your name and number and assuming you
would get a call-back.When you call back they tell you they don't give
call-backs.They have no answer to see if the problem is resolved,they
just say they're sorry as if they are reading from a script to answer
any question.

Koz

Time Traveler wrote:

Has anyone had a bad experience in using the Home Depot 800 complaint
number?I refer to them taking your name and number and assuming you
would get a call-back.When you call back they tell you they don't give
call-backs.They have no answer to see if the problem is resolved,they
just say they're sorry as if they are reading from a script to answer
any question.

And the script they are reading is most likely being read from India....

My daughter works for Lowes...complaining to corporate is essentially
useless but I have found that being insistant on seeing the store's
general manager (check the name tag and expect it only during normal
bank hours) usually gets some result. DON'T speak with a department
manager unless you have no choice...they are only one step above burger
flipper and their job focus is often to keep their job by hiding
problems rather than dealing with them. They also sometimes have a
position called "zone manager" which is about the same as department
manager.

From there you can be insistant on getting a number and name for the
district manager, assuming the store manager is part of the problem.
Beyond that, you are in corporate hell and will get absolutely no results.

Be specific and clear in examples and names of offending employees and
practices ("that little red-haired gal who walked by" will get no
result). Think of it as a legal prosecution where you back the manager
into a corner with facts and evidence. Who, What, Why, Where, When,
How. Never exaggerate.

One last thing...welcome to the new American business model where
customers are considered disposable nusances. It's a far cry from the
old notion that a customer might only be worth a $ 3.00 sale today but
was worth $ 30,000 over a lifetime.

Koz (who has dropped $ 500.00 in gathered purchases and walked out
because Home Depot was out of a $ .23 bolt.)

Frank J Warner

In article , Time
Traveler wrote:

Has anyone had a bad experience in using the Home Depot 800 complaint
number?I refer to them taking your name and number and assuming you
would get a call-back.When you call back they tell you they don't give
call-backs.They have no answer to see if the problem is resolved,they
just say they're sorry as if they are reading from a script to answer
any question.

"We are the Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Para
Español, oprima el dos."

-Frank

--
fwarner1-at-franksknives-dot-com
Here's some of my work:
wallster

"Frank J Warner" wrote in message
news:250820051404577471%warnerf@veriSPAMMERSDIEzon .net...
In article , Time
Traveler wrote:

Has anyone had a bad experience in using the Home Depot 800 complaint
number?I refer to them taking your name and number and assuming you
would get a call-back.When you call back they tell you they don't give
call-backs.They have no answer to see if the problem is resolved,they
just say they're sorry as if they are reading from a script to answer
any question.

"We are the Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Para
Español, oprima el dos."

-Frank

--
fwarner1-at-franksknives-dot-com
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/

beautiful work Frank, really awesome knives.

walt

ATP*

"Koz" wrote in message

Time Traveler wrote:

[...]

From there you can be insistant on getting a number and name for the
district manager, assuming the store manager is part of the problem.
Beyond that, you are in corporate hell and will get absolutely no results.

Be specific and clear in examples and names of offending employees and
practices ("that little red-haired gal who walked by" will get no result).
Think of it as a legal prosecution where you back the manager into a
corner with facts and evidence. Who, What, Why, Where, When, How. Never
exaggerate.

One last thing...welcome to the new American business model where
customers are considered disposable nusances. It's a far cry from the old
notion that a customer might only be worth a $ 3.00 sale today but was
worth $ 30,000 over a lifetime.

Home Depot usually bends over backwards to keep customers happy, even their
dishonest customers. I'd much rather get a complaint resolved at HD than at
the typical hardware store.

Roy

Keep looking for a number and keep hounding those HD
folks.........sooner or later you'll get the right person on the
phone. This past SUnday the wife and I went to Auto Zone for some oil
and filters, some plasticote paint, grease etc etc for the vehicles
and equipment that needed changing and maintenance pulled on. We stood
in line for over 45 minutes with only two people ahead of
us......while the so called counter man shot the bull**** with a few
"sisters" standing off to one side, and everynow and then would ask
the customer the same questions over and over, and enter the stuff in
the computer, and shoot the **** some more, grab his crotch every
other minute, and flash his gold teeth........It was gettingold fast
but I really did not want to hit town and have to go another 25 miles
to get the stuff........Finally we get up to the cashier, who is this
same dude, and he is double entering the items, screwing up royally,
and even asked the wife who was writing out the check waiting for the
amount what check number.......etc etc....Get the total, hand the
check over, and the check gets spit back out of the machine, with an
error.........on their part. Then he replied, oh, we don't take checks
right now........well excuse the **** out of me, you watched my wife
write the check you played around for almost an hour wasteing our
time, and your suposed to be the freaking manager? He was standing
here with his head up his ass holding the check when the wife snatched
the check out of his hand and told him to take a flying leap, and out
the door we went................made the trip to town, and hit the
Advance Auto parts store there........first thing the wife did was ask
if they were taking a check today, as she was not about to go through
this same crap again.......to which the manager and counter looked
kind of puzzled, and they said we always take a check if its
good......SO we gather up exactly the same items we had at the other
Advance Auto store, and they ring it up and were finished in less than
10 minutes itme from when we put our foot in the door. I related the
bull**** about the other store, and he was very interested as to what
this fellow that made the remarks and screwing around looked
like......told him long dreadlocks and gold teeth, and both the
manager and the other associate started to grin.........he filled out
a phone number on the back of a business card and told me to call the
number on it that day, as the person would be there, and Advance autop
or any other business can;'t handle having customers walk out the door
disturbed.......Turns out this other fellow was the store manager, ,
and I say WAS as he is no longer employed at Advance Auto. I received
a call from the fellow whose name was on the business card and he told
me that if I go back there to please fill him in on how things are
going, as the person that was the manager had been terminated......One
too many problems with the dude.............

On Thu, 25 Aug 2005 15:54:13 -0400, (Time Traveler)
wrote:

===Has anyone had a bad experience in using the Home Depot 800 complaint
===number?I refer to them taking your name and number and assuming you
===would get a call-back.When you call back they tell you they don't give
===call-backs.They have no answer to see if the problem is resolved,they
===just say they're sorry as if they are reading from a script to answer
===any question.

"The original frugal ponder"
Rod Richeson

My experience is completely opposite.

Home Depot is the worst, agreed, but both times I have complained to
Lowes, I got a call-back within 24 hours, first time it was on a
Saturday. I got a gift card for being insulted by an employee. I would
have preferred an apology from him for acting like that, but the gift
card went to good use.

I don't shop HD anymore, and only shop Lowes, but prefer my local Ace
Hardware. They are ALWAYS helpfull and cordial.

Rod

Koz wrote:

Time Traveler wrote:

[...]

From there you can be insistant on getting a number and name for the
district manager, assuming the store manager is part of the problem.
Beyond that, you are in corporate hell and will get absolutely no results.

Be specific and clear in examples and names of offending employees and
practices ("that little red-haired gal who walked by" will get no
result). Think of it as a legal prosecution where you back the manager
into a corner with facts and evidence. Who, What, Why, Where, When,
How. Never exaggerate.

One last thing...welcome to the new American business model where
customers are considered disposable nusances. It's a far cry from the
old notion that a customer might only be worth a $ 3.00 sale today but
was worth $ 30,000 over a lifetime.

Koz (who has dropped $ 500.00 in gathered purchases and walked out
because Home Depot was out of a $ .23 bolt.)

carl mciver

"Time Traveler" wrote in message
| Has anyone had a bad experience in using the Home Depot 800 complaint
| number?I refer to them taking your name and number and assuming you
| would get a call-back.When you call back they tell you they don't give
| call-backs.They have no answer to see if the problem is resolved,they
| just say they're sorry as if they are reading from a script to answer
| any question.

Gotta tell this story and vent a bit. My wife and I purchased a gift
card as a fundraiser for our kids' school and took it to Lowes to purchase a
specific dishwasher. We found the one we wanted and since it was a display
model, they took it out while my wife and I finished a little more shopping
and went to the register to pay. No sweat, and my wife pulled the truck to
the front to have them put it in the truck. I went to buy the kids some hot
dogs and a pretzel. While the pretzel was being heated (they were out) I
waited. After a few minutes two separate people came up to my wife and
asked if they could help her, and she told them she was waiting for an
appliance. After what seemed like an even longer time, it finally came out
the door. The fellow had it on a (get this!) a simple hand truck, and as it
cleared the threshold into the foyer place there, I watched it bounce off
the truck and hit the floor. Got a dumb look. As I was in the middle of a
transaction, I told him to take it to the truck right outside and I'd check
it for damage when he got there. Right when he got to the back of the
truck, he dropped it again! Giving me a dumb look, I strolled over, noticed
a bent frame (it wouldn't have mattered,) and since it was an electronically
controlled appliance rather than a mechanical, I immediately stated that I
didn't want it and to bring it back. Still the dumb look, but never a word
said to me. That didn't at all make me happy.
I immediately stopped at the customer service desk and started
explaining what happened. By now you can imagine I was not at all happy,
bordering on losing my temper, and they knew it. I told them I want my
money back, in cash in lieu of a gift certificate since I was taking my
money to Home Depot where I expected not to have the same problem with
careless employees. The manager got called and danced around for awhile
while I stood my ground. Offered me a heavy discount (I was spending about
$500 for it already!) and I refused, since it was visibly damaged and they
didn't have another alternative that I wanted. I kept at it, so the manager
overrode the gift card policy and gave me cash. Went to Home Depot and
actually had to pay more to get the newest upgrade (they had sold out of
that exact model) with no damage inside or out, still in the box. (I
actually had to wait about a week for it to be delivered and swapped out
with my old one.) No hassle there, and the saleswoman was outstanding,
making it expensive, but worth the trip.
About a week later I again visited Lowes, since it's about a mile from
my house, for other items, and there was the same dishwasher now discounted
over a hundred and fifty bucks, on the "get rid of this **** now" part of
the store. I looked closely at it and yup, the bent frame was still there,
and there was a small wrinkle in the front face metal from the hand truck.
Glad I didn't get it, you couldn't see the scratch on the face easily as
there was a film over it. The fellow that dropped it twice was still there,
carrying the same dumb look. I hope the manager and him had a long chat.

I have high expectation from businesses. They compete for my dollar and
when they hire folks who are idiots with no sense of the source of their
paycheck (me!) I will quickly make a big deal of it. I've gotten checks,
coupons, and free merchandise from Lowes, Church's Fried Chicken, McDonalds
(many times, that's a no brainer!) and whoever that place was that used to
rent out trailers for moving, plus a number of places that escape me now.
I won't even tolerate that punk at McDonald's who has to turn his hat
sideways while handing my un-inventoried food out to me. McDonald's prides
itself on a clean, comfortable store, selling good food at a good price, and
they generally do a great job. I remind the managers of that as I chew them
out for letting such poor attitude go unchecked. They pass out piles of
coupons there quickly just to shut me up, but they usually get my point.
When you go to visit the manager of the store, spend some time
discussing the basics of customer service, compared to the expectations they
set, and then explain how they failed miserably. If it's a product that's
bad, keep in mind that it isn't their responsibility directly, however, when
vendors stock the parts racks and the bins are a mixed up mess, then I will
crawl over them for expecting so little from their vendor, who is also
competing with other vendors for the right to stock their store and receive
their paycheck. It all boils down to the source of their paycheck, which is
you, holding the ultimate power, only if you exercise it.

Don Bruder

Traveler wrote:

Has anyone had a bad experience in using the Home Depot 800 complaint
number?I refer to them taking your name and number and assuming you
would get a call-back.When you call back they tell you they don't give
call-backs.They have no answer to see if the problem is resolved,they
just say they're sorry as if they are reading from a script to answer
any question.

"We are the Borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Para
Espanol, oprima el dos."

-Frank

--
fwarner1-at-franksknives-dot-com
Here's some of my work:
http://www.franksknives.com/

beautiful work Frank, really awesome knives.

Looks like he's fully programmed as a phone-CS-droid, too...

pokes a nearby Jawa
"How much for this squishy pink one with the "HELLO! MY NAME IS FRANK"
sticker on the front?"

heheheheh

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.
User Example

I bought a $500 rug from the local Lowe's once. When I got it home I
noticed that it had several flaws [unraveling border, mistakes in the
pattern]. I took it back for exchange. They had another just like it
so I took it home. I looked at it and it also had similar flaws. I
took this one back for exchange but they were out so we went to another
nearby Lowes. This time I asked them to unroll it at the store before I
bought it. Sure enough, it was also messed up. They didn't have
another one of the rugs so I drove across town to a different store.
Again, I asked the man to show me the rug first. This one look OK but
not perfect. I could live with the problems though so I bought it. At
that point I asked if they were selling seconds (mildly defective items)
and he said no. I don't really believe him. I think they are indeed
selling rejects.

But anyway, a couple weeks later I go to the first Lowes and go look at
the rugs just for the heck of it. Sure enough, the two defective rugs
that I returned were right back on the shelf. I could tell because I
had to wrap them in my own plastic. This is after I made a point to
tell them that the rugs were defective.

Moral of the story... don't buy a rug from Lowes unless you look at it
first.

But I do have to say that they never gave me any hassle about returning
the rugs or having them take them out of the plastic and show them to me
before buying them.

Robert Swinney

Ace hardware ?? I wrote my neighborhood Ace Hardware off a couple of days
ago. They changed hands twice in recent history and thus their stock was
getting run down, but I could accept that. Give them time to restock, OK.
But the last time was the straw - They were out of both JB Weld and Gorilla
Glue. I told my wife to kick my ass if I ever went to that particular Ace
Hardware again. A Home Depot is only about a mile further away. They
literally push JB Weld at you; blister packs of it hanging at the checkout
line.

Bob Swinney

Koz wrote:

Time Traveler wrote:

[...]

From there you can be insistant on getting a number and name for the
district manager, assuming the store manager is part of the problem.
Beyond that, you are in corporate hell and will get absolutely no
results.

Be specific and clear in examples and names of offending employees and
practices ("that little red-haired gal who walked by" will get no
result). Think of it as a legal prosecution where you back the manager
into a corner with facts and evidence. Who, What, Why, Where, When, How.
Never exaggerate.

One last thing...welcome to the new American business model where
customers are considered disposable nusances. It's a far cry from the
old notion that a customer might only be worth a $ 3.00 sale today but
was worth $ 30,000 over a lifetime.

Koz (who has dropped $ 500.00 in gathered purchases and walked out
because Home Depot was out of a $ .23 bolt.)

Gary Owens

The Home Depot complaint line, and customer service line are outsoursed to a
large international company. Most of the agents will just tell you what is
in their script. They are not allowed to use common sense, or courtesy, only
what is written for then by company lawyers and agreed upon by the client.
Make sure you get a name of the agent you talk to, and if you don't get a
reasonable answer, demand to speak to a supervisor.
gary

"Time Traveler" wrote in message
Has anyone had a bad experience in using the Home Depot 800 complaint
number?I refer to them taking your name and number and assuming you
would get a call-back.When you call back they tell you they don't give
call-backs.They have no answer to see if the problem is resolved,they
just say they're sorry as if they are reading from a script to answer
any question.

Robert Swinney

Secondary Moral -- Never, ever buy anything that comes in a box that has
been opened. It is almost surely to have been purchased and returned for
whatever reason. If it is the last item in stock - run like the wind, for
it is almost certainly going to be defective in some way.

Bob Swinney

"User Example" wrote in message
[...]

Chris

Anyone else hear the story of the guy who sued HD. Apparently he had an
issue with the contracting services, a no show I believe. Tried everything
to get his money back to no avail.

So he goes to court and wins judgment against HD. Some time passed and HD
never paid. Another order was given.... The guy showed up a couple of days
later with the Sheriff at the local HD. Took a few of the John Deere lawn
tractors as payment, as the court order had allowed him.

Must of been a fun sight to see while visiting HD.

Chris

PS at least that is the way I read it.

Time Traveler

My post seems to hit a nerve with different peoples experience.Lowes was
great when I had a problem,they called me back and went the distance to
resolve it.Home Depot has their number as a buffer to deflect you into
frustration.John Paul Jones said it first "I have not begun to fight"and
I'm just starting.The post on outsourcing could be right,but was in the
US not India.I had the pleasure of an American Nubian with no common
sense.After awhile I told her to repeat after me "I got me a job but I'm
useless".I've got the number for HQ and will try for the Prez.

Jeff Wisnia

Koz wrote:

Time Traveler wrote:

One last thing...welcome to the new American business model where
customers are considered disposable nusances. It's a far cry from the
old notion that a customer might only be worth a $ 3.00 sale today but
was worth $ 30,000 over a lifetime.

Indeed, I'm fond of reminding employees that they may think they are
working for (insert store name) but in reality they are working for me
and the other customers, because if they **** off enough of us they will
be out of a job when the store closes down.

Koz (who has dropped $ 500.00 in gathered purchases and walked out
because Home Depot was out of a $ .23 bolt.)

I hope there was something besides that out of stock bolt which caused
you to reach that decision, Koz. I would have balanced the time I'd
already spent picking out the other stuff against the 5 minutes it would
take me to stop off at an Ace or True Value one the way home and buy
that bolt there.

**********************

I got a quite strong "smell of stupid" at a Staples stationary store
this Monday.

I needed a new ink roller for my adding machine. I went to the service
desk when I got in the store and asked one of the girls, "In which aisle
will I find adding machine ink rollers?".

She said, "Follow me." and took me down an aisle where she stopped and
proudly pulled froma bin a clear plastic bag full of coin rolls, (Paper
tubes.)

I told her again that I wanted an adding machine ink roller and she
said, "Oh!" and took me down another aisle where she pointed to a shelf
full of rolls of adding machine paper tape.

Again I said, "No, no, INK rollers, those little black things full of
the ink that prints the numbers on those paper tapes."

She stared at me blankly and I knew that I had just plumbed the total
depth of her ability to help, so I thanked her and went off and found a
GUY who knew what I was talking about and immediately said, "Aisle 12,
right next to the adding machines". He was spot on.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Koz

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Koz wrote:

Time Traveler wrote:

[...]

Actually, it was the last straw of compromise. You go in for for parts
and the first peice is not in stock so you modify your plans to use what
they have...go looking for the next and have to modify a little more
because they are out of another item...and so on. By the time you have
had to do "work arounds" 3 or 4 times on something that should be
simple, the little $ .23 item easily becomes the last straw. More than
once I have just dropped an expensive tool or other item I intended to
purchase when they were out of/didn't carry some small part that should
be readily available. As a specific example, they had 5/8" bolts but
didn't even carry (according to the shelf tags) 5/8" nuts. It was a
vendor stocked area but it does reflect on HD.

Another specific example is the wavy wood strips that you put under
corrigated fiberglass panels. They're only 2 bucks each but they only
had broken/skanky peices left and the department manager wasn't going to
order any more until those were gone (" we might be getting more in a
couple of weeks"). Down went $ 200 in polycarbinate panels for want of
$ 15 in strips. Note: The foam strips were in stock but for a
different pitch/style of panel so I couldn't just "make do".

Koz

**********************

[...]

D Murphy

"Robert Swinney" wrote in
news
Secondary Moral -- Never, ever buy anything that comes in a box that
has been opened. It is almost surely to have been purchased and
returned for whatever reason. If it is the last item in stock - run
like the wind, for it is almost certainly going to be defective in
some way.

I disagree. I've gotten some great deals on "open box" items. Just grab an
employee and confirm that everything is there before you leave.

--

Dan