Old April 23rd 04, 11:09 AM
Alex

Default Are Home Depot & B&Q linked?

Hello,

Whilst in the states, I've visited a few Home Depot stores, and their layout
& catalogue design seems remarkably similar to that of B&Qs.

One Home Depot outside San Diego was almost identical to B&Q Farnborough -
is this just coincidence, or are the companies linked? Even the style that
they write the prices in is identical to B&Q!

Alex

Old April 23rd 04, 11:16 AM
Andy Hall

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:09:54 +0100, "Alex"
wrote:

Hello,

Whilst in the states, I've visited a few Home Depot stores, and their layout
& catalogue design seems remarkably similar to that of B&Qs.

One Home Depot outside San Diego was almost identical to B&Q Farnborough -
is this just coincidence, or are the companies linked? Even the style that
they write the prices in is identical to B&Q!

Alex

No they are not, but it's no coincidence.

B&Q undoubtedly "borrowed" the complete concept, layout, merchandising
(even the tool coraal) and the colours from HD.

Perhaps they are hoping to be acquired at some point......

In the US, HD, because of its dominant market position, is referred to
as "the Borg" (as in Star Trek, assumed by) . I suppose that B&Q
could be similarly described because of theirs.

..andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl
Old April 23rd 04, 11:35 AM
Christian McArdle

In the US, HD, because of its dominant market position, is referred to
as "the Borg" (as in Star Trek, assumed by) . I suppose that B&Q
could be similarly described because of theirs.

The problem is that they are so much better than the DIY shed competition.
The only other place that comes close is Wickes, but their stores (at least
round here) are too small. Going to Focus (i.e. because I need something
small quickly), I sometimes feel physically sick knowing just how much mark
up there is over B&Q/Screwfix.

Christian.

Old April 23rd 04, 12:02 PM
Andy Hall

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 11:35:10 +0100, "Christian McArdle"
wrote:

In the US, HD, because of its dominant market position, is referred to
as "the Borg" (as in Star Trek, assumed by) . I suppose that B&Q
could be similarly described because of theirs.

The problem is that they are so much better than the DIY shed competition.
The only other place that comes close is Wickes, but their stores (at least
round here) are too small. Going to Focus (i.e. because I need something
small quickly), I sometimes feel physically sick knowing just how much mark
up there is over B&Q/Screwfix.

Christian.

If you mean the one at Winnersh, then apart from the prices, I hate
going there because of the surly behaviour of the teenage assistants.

Old April 23rd 04, 12:55 PM
Dave Plowman

In article [email protected],
Alex wrote:
One Home Depot outside San Diego was almost identical to B&Q Farnborough
- is this just coincidence, or are the companies linked? Even the style
that they write the prices in is identical to B&Q!

They even called some of their larger stores 'The Depot' but for some
reason changed them. Don't think there's actually a tie up - just a rip
off of design. Pity their prices weren't ripped off too...

--
*If vegetable oil comes from vegetables, where does baby oil come from? *

Dave Plowman London SW 12
RIP Acorn

Old April 23rd 04, 01:13 PM
Graeme

wrote:

In the US, HD, because of its dominant market position, is referred to
as "the Borg" (as in Star Trek, assumed by) . I suppose that B&Q
could be similarly described because of theirs.

The problem is that they are so much better than the DIY shed

competition.
The only other place that comes close is Wickes, but their stores (at

least
round here) are too small. Going to Focus (i.e. because I need something
small quickly), I sometimes feel physically sick knowing just how much

mark
up there is over B&Q/Screwfix.

Christian.

If you mean the one at Winnersh, then apart from the prices, I hate
going there because of the surly behaviour of the teenage assistants.

And that's my local DIY store. They never, ever have what I'm looking for.
But the pet corner keep the kids happy.

Old April 23rd 04, 02:11 PM
Christian McArdle

If you mean the one at Winnersh, then apart from the prices, I hate
going there because of the surly behaviour of the teenage assistants.

That's the one. I sometimes feel I should go there with a pack of bic razors
and hand them out.

Christian.

Old April 23rd 04, 02:14 PM
Christian McArdle

If you mean the one at Winnersh, then apart from the prices, I hate
going there because of the surly behaviour of the teenage assistants.

Yes, I sometimes have to go there because I can't brave the B&Q car park and
only want one item. What a nightmare design, attempting to get all those
cars through that tiny junction and forcing you to go all the way round the
big roundabout to turn right when leaving. They could solve it all by having
a second entrance at the Comet end onto the road that leads to Costco.

Christian.

Old April 23rd 04, 03:35 PM
Graeme

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
. net...
If you mean the one at Winnersh, then apart from the prices, I hate
going there because of the surly behaviour of the teenage assistants.

Yes, I sometimes have to go there because I can't brave the B&Q car park

and
only want one item. What a nightmare design, attempting to get all those
cars through that tiny junction and forcing you to go all the way round

the
big roundabout to turn right when leaving. They could solve it all by

having
a second entrance at the Comet end onto the road that leads to Costco.

Now that would be a good idea.
And it's even worse when Reading are playing at the Majeski.

OT: When you get a blister, does the wise man pop it or leave it alone?

Old April 23rd 04, 03:50 PM
Christian McArdle

Now that would be a good idea.
And it's even worse when Reading are playing at the Majeski.

Oddly, I find it easier when they are playing. Just turn up at 15:10 and the
queues (both traffic and tills) are much shorter.

OT: When you get a blister, does the wise man pop it or leave it alone?

I'd pop it if it is in an inconvenient location, then use antiseptic
immediately to prevent infection.

Christian.