Jeff Wisnia

Default How long can you store carbonated drinks?

Metal content: Aluminum Pepsi cans.

I long ago learned that soda in plastic bottles loses its fizz after a
few months because the CO2 slowly leaks right through the plastic, but I
thought that soda in cans would keep "forever".

Last weekend I discovered a 12 pack carton of Pepsi I'd hidden behind
some other stuff in a kitchen cabinet so the kids wouldn't find it and
consume it all in minutes. When I went to remove it the carton was stuck
to the cabinet floor and when I opened it about half the cans felt far
lighter than they should and there was evidence of dried sugar on them
and the carton.

I looked at the date code on the cans and gave myself a "dope slap" when
I realized that the carton was about three years old.

I was curious about what Pepsi had to say about that and called their
consumer line.

The lady I spoke to was quite prepared for the question, so I expect
they hear about "old" cans leaking frequently.

The first thisg she told me was that drinking the Pepsi from a can which
had leaked wouldn't kill me because the high acidity in the product
prevented the growth of bacteria. So, I guess Pepsi is one of those
"foods" like Honey and mayonaise which can stand being "opened" and then
stored at room temperature without spoiling.

She said the high acidity was also the source of the leakage I'd found.
The cans are lined with a coating which is intended to keep the product
from touching the aluminum, but it isn't always perfect, and if there's
the tinyist imperfection in the coating the Pepsi will corrode its way
through the can, sometimes in as little as 6 months.

She also told me, "It only takes one." And that if one can in a carton
develops a pinhole leak, a chain reaction takes place because the
outside of the cans doesn't have that protective coating and if it gets
wet with Pepsi it will corrode through faster than it will from the inside.

The bottom line is that Pepsi expects their cans not to leak by the
"Best Taste if consumed by" date on them, but leakage after that date is
not unheard of. (I didn't have the chutzpah to ask her for a "warranty
replacement", nor did she volunteer one.)

I was curious to see where the leaks occurred and what they looked like
so I took the least full unopened Pepsi can and punched a hole in the
center of the bottom with a nail set. I shook out nearly all the
remaining liquid and then pressurized the can with 10 psi air by
squeezing a soft rubber washer between my air hose nozzle and the can.

I stuck the pressurized can under some water in a bucket and spotted a
string of bubbles coming from a spot on the side of the can.

Looking at the can with a 10 power loupe I "thought" I could see a tiny
white spot where the bubbles were coming from.

Sacrificing my 5 cent recycling deposit in the name of science I cut the
can open.

Here's what I found:

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/pepsi.html

The whole inside surface of the can was peppered with little freckles
where corrosion had started to gnaw through the aluminum. And, I could
easily see light through the pinhole which leaked.

It was sort of reminiscent of the leak which developed in a 3 inch long
steel pipe nipple about 6 months after I used a couple of them to stand
dielectric unions on the top of a replacement electric water heater I
installed in our home. When I did that I didn't stop to think about the
fact that the electrical feed's grounding of the heater and the code
required grounding of our copper plumbing system would close the circuit
and nullify the supposed benefit of using those fancy unions. Both
nipples got severely clogged with rust and I discovered the problem when
a pinhole leak punched through at the root of an exposed thread, which
was the "thinest" part of the nipple.

http://home.comcast.net/~jwisnia18/jeff/nipple.html

I found out later via a tech note at rhe Rheem water heater company that
they now advise against using dielectric unions when installing their
tanks for the very reason I learned by experience.

Case closed...I think...
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Jeff Wisnia

Robert Swinney wrote:
Good report, Jeff! Reading it made me thirsty - think I'll go bet a beer.

Thanks, but if you are really going to bet a beer, try my favorite "bar
bet".

Which is:

What's the easternmost state in the USA?

See the ninth "fact" on this page:

http://www.marci.net/akfacts.htm

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Gunner

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 11:10:10 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

I long ago learned that soda in plastic bottles loses its fizz after a
few months because the CO2 slowly leaks right through the plastic, but I
thought that soda in cans would keep "forever".

Being a survivalist..I tend to stockpile foods and beverages. Like
you, I recently discovered some soft drinks tucked away. 2 liter
bottles of Mt. Dew. Purchased in 1999 and kept cool and dry.

They were just hunky dory when I drank them, proper fizz and
everything, though to my conisewer taste buds G it was just a smidge
off. Which may have been a result of variation in formulation as I
occasionally get a bottle that tastes the "off" when bottled at a
different location.

Gunner, who can readily tell if Dew comes from tap, can, 2 liter or 12
oz bottle G

for torturing the cat." Gunner

David Courtney

So the "Pepsi generation" might end up being the "Alzheimer's
generation"?
http://www.laleva.cc/environment/alu...lzheimer2.html
More good news... NOT! ;-}
David

http://pstuning.com/ "Jeff Wisnia" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Joe Gorman

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
Robert Swinney wrote:

Good report, Jeff! Reading it made me thirsty - think I'll go bet a
beer.

Thanks, but if you are really going to bet a beer, try my favorite "bar
bet".

Which is:

What's the easternmost state in the USA?

See the ninth "fact" on this page:

http://www.marci.net/akfacts.htm

Jeff

Seems to me Hawaii also crosses 180° but I couldn't find a quick
reference as to how far.
Joe
Grant Erwin

David Courtney wrote:

So the "Pepsi generation" might end up being the "Alzheimer's
generation"?
http://www.laleva.cc/environment/alu...lzheimer2.html
More good news... NOT! ;-}
David

Let's stamp this one out right quick! No less an authority than the Journal of
the American Medical Association recently published an article that absolutely
debunks the myth of a link between aluminum and Alzheimer's. Alzheimer's is a
terrible disease but you don't get it from aluminum. Period. - GWE

Robert Swinney

Errrr, what's that you say, young feller? You seem familiar. You been
around these parts long? I can't remember.

Bob Swinney (I think)
"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
David Courtney wrote:

So the "Pepsi generation" might end up being the "Alzheimer's
generation"?
http://www.laleva.cc/environment/alu...lzheimer2.html
More good news... NOT! ;-}
David

Let's stamp this one out right quick! No less an authority than the
Journal of the American Medical Association recently published an article
that absolutely debunks the myth of a link between aluminum and
Alzheimer's. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease but you don't get it from
aluminum. Period. - GWE

Dave Hinz

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 12:07:26 -0700, Grant Erwin wrote:
David Courtney wrote:

So the "Pepsi generation" might end up being the "Alzheimer's
generation"?
http://www.laleva.cc/environment/alu...lzheimer2.html
More good news... NOT! ;-}
David

Let's stamp this one out right quick! No less an authority than the Journal of
the American Medical Association recently published an article that absolutely
debunks the myth of a link between aluminum and Alzheimer's. Alzheimer's is a
terrible disease but you don't get it from aluminum. Period. - GWE

Thanks, you beat me to it. This is one of those that Just. Won't. Die.

Jeff Wisnia

Grant Erwin wrote:
David Courtney wrote:

So the "Pepsi generation" might end up being the "Alzheimer's
generation"?
http://www.laleva.cc/environment/alu...lzheimer2.html
More good news... NOT! ;-}
David

Let's stamp this one out right quick! No less an authority than the
Journal of the American Medical Association recently published an
article that absolutely debunks the myth of a link between aluminum and
Alzheimer's. Alzheimer's is a terrible disease but you don't get it from
aluminum. Period. - GWE

Even Rudolph Valentino got into the act!

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/valentin.htm

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Keith Marshall

The first thisg she told me was that drinking the Pepsi from a can which
had leaked wouldn't kill me because the high acidity in the product
prevented the growth of bacteria. So, I guess Pepsi is one of those
"foods" like Honey and mayonaise which can stand being "opened" and then
stored at room temperature without spoiling.

Don't try drinking an old can of a diet drink sweetened with Nutrasweet!
Someone told me once that it goes bad and I didn't believe them until I
tried it. Yuck!!!! :-D

And I'm not so sure mayonaise is in that group. I've always heard it's a
bad one for food poisoning... but I don't know for sure.

Best Regards,
Keith Marshall

"I'm not grown up enough to be so old!"

[...]

DeepDiver

"Keith Marshall" wrote in message
"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

The first thisg she told me was that drinking the Pepsi from a can
which had leaked wouldn't kill me because the high acidity in the
product prevented the growth of bacteria.

It may not kill you, but....

So, I guess Pepsi is one of those "foods" like Honey and mayonaise
which can stand being "opened" and then stored at room temperature
without spoiling.

And I'm not so sure mayonaise is in that group. I've always heard
it's a bad one for food poisoning... but I don't know for sure.

It is (a bad one, that is).

You definitely DON'T want to be leaving mayonnaise out, even commercially
pasteurized mayonnaise. Warm mayonnaise is one of the leading causes of food
poisoning in the US during the summer months due to all the potato and egg
salads (and perhaps condiment bottles) that get left out in the hot sun
during picnics.

- Michael

Jeff Wisnia

DeepDiver wrote:
[...]

You are entitled to your opinion Michael, and I'm sorry if you feel I'm
being a PIA about this but I try my best to be correct when I make
statements like that which I know some folks will feel must be wrong...

Take a look at the label on a jar of Hellman's mayo...

See any words like "Refrigerate after opening" anywhere on it?

Don't take my word for it, take Hellman's:

http://www.unilever800.com/hellmanns_faq/answer.asp?host=www.hellmanns.com&ID=3&Counter=1&W hen=6/3/2005

Note the word "indefinite" on that page...I don't think their lawyers
would let them say that if it wasn't true, 'eh?

It's the potatos, eggs and meats in those salads which "go bad", NOT the
mayo.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Ron DeBlock

If the ambient temperature is below freezing, you can store soda cans for
only a few hours before they rupture. Last winter, my wife bought several
cases of soda in cans and a bunch of 2L plastic bottles, then left them in
her minivan overnight. What a mess! The 2L bottles didn't burst, but
they swelled to about 50% larger than normal.

--
Ron DeBlock N2JSO
If God had meant for Man to see the sunrise,

lionslair at consolidated dot net

Keith Marshall wrote:

[...]

Safe in a way. The acid does dissolve stuff that drops into it or it onto the material.
Might be a case for cleaning out the Arsenic from shrimp or nuts -
My sister took a hit, she was eating fresh shrimp (cooked frozen, few thawed for breakfast..)
and she also took large dozes of Vitimum C. The C dragged out the Arsenic from the shrimp.
Normally it isn't converted and just passes through the body. She slowly did it to herself.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Pete C.

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

DeepDiver wrote:
[...]

http://www.unilever800.com/hellmanns... hen=6/3/2005

"Your mayonnaise should be refrigerated after opening."... Although it
indicates for "product quality".

Pete C.

DeepDiver wrote:

"Keith Marshall" wrote in message

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

The first thisg she told me was that drinking the Pepsi from a can
which had leaked wouldn't kill me because the high acidity in the
product prevented the growth of bacteria.

It may not kill you, but....

Hum - I remember well when cold drinks were stored in steel cans.
I lived on an island 2500 N. miles southwest of Hawaii ! Twelve weeks
after leaving port in Oakland, a ship would bring what we need for that
month - with flying bumble bees C-24 cargo masters (0.7 mile long runway)
would bring in urgent and fresh food. (They were 24 hours flying from Hawaii!)

The steel cans would rust if left for 3 months or more in storage.
The soda drinks (all kinds) were Fe enriched! - Iron content.

Some, actually tasted better! But we all waited for drinking out
of a glass bottle.

Naturally, state sides, storage was never an issue and the can's internal
'plastic' like cover kept the soda free of iron until it was sold.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Edward Greeley

OK, Jeff, I LOOKED at a jar of Hellman's "REAL" Mayonaise that is in my
fridge which bears a "Best if used by" date of Oct 11 05. The label
plainly, clearly and specifically states: "REFRIGERATE AFTER OPENING".

The list of ingredients includes WHOLE EGGS and EGG YOLKS. Ain't NO WAY
I would use the stuff if it had been stored at room temp for any length
of time (say, more than a couple of hours max) 'cause I've had food
poisoning before and it's not a lot of fun.

Perhaps you are referring to Hellman's UNREAL (imitation) mayonaise? Or
something?

Ed Greeley

Jeff Wisnia wrote:
You are entitled to your opinion Michael, and I'm sorry if you feel I'm
being a PIA about this but I try my best to be correct when I make
statements like that which I know some folks will feel must be wrong...

Take a look at the label on a jar of Hellman's mayo...

See any words like "Refrigerate after opening" anywhere on it?

Don't take my word for it, take Hellman's:
http://www.unilever800.com/hellmanns_faq/answer.asp?host=www.hellmanns.com&ID=3&Counter=1&W hen=6/3/2005

Note the word "indefinite" on that page...I don't think their lawyers
would let them say that if it wasn't true, 'eh?

It's the potatos, eggs and meats in those salads which "go bad", NOT the
mayo.

Jeff

Nick Hull

In article ,
Grant Erwin wrote:

David Courtney wrote:

So the "Pepsi generation" might end up being the "Alzheimer's
generation"?
http://www.laleva.cc/environment/alu...lzheimer2.html
More good news... NOT! ;-}
David

Let's stamp this one out right quick! No less an authority than the Journal
of
the American Medical Association recently published an article that
absolutely
debunks the myth of a link between aluminum and Alzheimer's. Alzheimer's is a
terrible disease but you don't get it from aluminum. Period. - GWE

If the AMA doesn't know what caused Alzheimers then they don't know what
doesn'nt cause it.

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Larry Jaques

On Thu, 02 Jun 2005 23:54:09 -0400, the inscrutable Jeff Wisnia
spake:

You are entitled to your opinion Michael, and I'm sorry if you feel I'm
being a PIA about this but I try my best to be correct when I make
statements like that which I know some folks will feel must be wrong...

Take a look at the label on a jar of Hellman's mayo...

See any words like "Refrigerate after opening" anywhere on it?

Don't take my word for it, take Hellman's:

http://www.unilever800.com/hellmanns_faq/answer.asp?host=www.hellmanns.com&ID=3&Counter=1&W hen=6/3/2005

Something screwed the pooch on that link, Jeff. Firefox said "keyword:
" and then choked; IE chokes, too. Without the LT and GT signs, it
flies, though.

Note the word "indefinite" on that page...I don't think their lawyers
would let them say that if it wasn't true, 'eh?

It's the potatos, eggs and meats in those salads which "go bad", NOT the
mayo.

Interesting. This clears up the question I had about eggs in mayo,
too. http://www.dressings-sauces.org/pdf/mayoo.pdf
"Quality, not safety, is the only reason the labels on these products
suggest that they be refrigerated after opening."

--
"Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein
-=-=-
Larry Jaques

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 04:41:45 GMT, the inscrutable Edward Greeley
spake:

OK, Jeff, I LOOKED at a jar of Hellman's "REAL" Mayonaise that is in my
fridge which bears a "Best if used by" date of Oct 11 05. The label
plainly, clearly and specifically states: "REFRIGERATE AFTER OPENING".

The list of ingredients includes WHOLE EGGS and EGG YOLKS. Ain't NO WAY
I would use the stuff if it had been stored at room temp for any length
of time (say, more than a couple of hours max) 'cause I've had food
poisoning before and it's not a lot of fun.

See my other post with the link. All eggs in today's mayo are
PASTEURIZED and safe.

--
"Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein
-=-=-
http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design
Dave Hinz

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 04:41:45 GMT, Edward Greeley wrote:
OK, Jeff, I LOOKED at a jar of Hellman's "REAL" Mayonaise that is in my
fridge which bears a "Best if used by" date of Oct 11 05. The label
plainly, clearly and specifically states: "REFRIGERATE AFTER OPENING".

The list of ingredients includes WHOLE EGGS and EGG YOLKS. Ain't NO WAY
I would use the stuff if it had been stored at room temp for any length
of time (say, more than a couple of hours max) 'cause I've had food
poisoning before and it's not a lot of fun.

Are you familiar with what the canning process does, and why "before
opening" is different than "after opening" in this context?

Jeff Wisnia

Edward Greeley wrote:
OK, Jeff, I LOOKED at a jar of Hellman's "REAL" Mayonaise that is in my
fridge which bears a "Best if used by" date of Oct 11 05. The label
plainly, clearly and specifically states: "REFRIGERATE AFTER OPENING".

The list of ingredients includes WHOLE EGGS and EGG YOLKS. Ain't NO WAY
I would use the stuff if it had been stored at room temp for any length
of time (say, more than a couple of hours max) 'cause I've had food
poisoning before and it's not a lot of fun.

Perhaps you are referring to Hellman's UNREAL (imitation) mayonaise? Or
something?

Ed Greeley

Damn, you're correct about the label Ed, I'll have to fall on my sword.

The jar of Hellman's REAL mayo in our fridge (Yes, that's where we keep
ours, because our mothers did it that way.) Does NOT have the
"Refigerate after opening" on it's label, but a brand new jar sitting in
the pantry DOES. Go figger...

I still believe it's not necessary to refrigerate Hellman's mayo after
opening for safety reasons, but only to keep it's taste longer.

Jeff

P.S. I just scanned the label on a bottle of Heinz 57 Ketchup (Which we
also keep in the fridge.) and unless my eyes are really shot, I can't
find anything about "Refrigerate after opening" on it either.

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 11:13:42 -0400, Jeff Wisnia
wrote:

I still believe it's not necessary to refrigerate Hellman's mayo after
opening for safety reasons, but only to keep it's taste longer.

Jeff

Pasteurization is a swell thing, But it only kills the microorganisms
in the mayo before they put in the jar.

It is still a rich organic soup, ripe for colonization.

So unless you live in an operating room and sterilize the knife, each
time you put it in the jar, refrigeration is probably a good idea.

Paul K. Dickman
Bruce L. Bergman

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 06:52:34 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:
On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 04:41:45 GMT, the inscrutable Edward Greeley
spake:

OK, Jeff, I LOOKED at a jar of Hellman's "REAL" Mayonaise that is in my
fridge which bears a "Best if used by" date of Oct 11 05. The label
plainly, clearly and specifically states: "REFRIGERATE AFTER OPENING".

The list of ingredients includes WHOLE EGGS and EGG YOLKS. Ain't NO WAY
I would use the stuff if it had been stored at room temp for any length
of time (say, more than a couple of hours max) 'cause I've had food
poisoning before and it's not a lot of fun.

See my other post with the link. All eggs in today's mayo are
PASTEURIZED and safe.

Yes, yes they are pasteurized and safe - but that's not the problem.
Mayonnaise (and many other prepared foods) can be stored without
refrigeration or special handling UNOPENED for years, because it's a
sterile environment inside the package. But when you open the jar any
germs or bacteria from outside the package can get inside, and
mayonnaise is almost a perfect breeding ground for bad bugs.

Same thing when you use it as a component in prepared foods, as in
potato salad or other salads and garnishes with a mayonnaise based
sauce. A few bad germs get in, and if the temperature is right for
them (in the "Danger Zone" between 40F and 140F) they go to town and
"are fruitful and multiply". Take a bite, and you'll be dealing with
'The Grippe' for sure.

Therefore the warning "Refrigerate After Opening". And the reason
that Public Health Inspectors are very insistent about everyone
following safe food handling practices and safe storage temperatures.
They have the power to force factories and restaurants to dump
thousands of pounds of product in the trash simply on the chance it's
contaminated.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Loren Amelang

On 3 Jun 2005 14:45:29 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 04:41:45 GMT, Edward Greeley wrote:
OK, Jeff, I LOOKED at a jar of Hellman's "REAL" Mayonaise that is in my
fridge which bears a "Best if used by" date of Oct 11 05. The label
plainly, clearly and specifically states: "REFRIGERATE AFTER OPENING".

The list of ingredients includes WHOLE EGGS and EGG YOLKS. Ain't NO WAY
I would use the stuff if it had been stored at room temp for any length
of time (say, more than a couple of hours max) 'cause I've had food
poisoning before and it's not a lot of fun.

Are you familiar with what the canning process does, and why "before
opening" is different than "after opening" in this context?

I don't believe mayo is actually "canned", as in hermetically sealed
while sterile. All the mayo jars I recall had waxed paperboard inner
lids under the screw cap - hardly as effective as a metal hey - metal
content! lid with a rubber gasket. And I've never noticed any vacuum
"whoosh" upon opening mayo. (Not that vacuum is essential to a
hermetic seal, they could have cooled the Pasteurized mayo in a
sterile environment before sealing the jar, but one would expect to
find some pressure differential at least occasionally if the jars were
truly sealed.)

Loren
Don Bruder

In article ,
"Keith Marshall" wrote:

The first thisg she told me was that drinking the Pepsi from a can which
had leaked wouldn't kill me because the high acidity in the product
prevented the growth of bacteria. So, I guess Pepsi is one of those
"foods" like Honey and mayonaise which can stand being "opened" and then
stored at room temperature without spoiling.

Don't try drinking an old can of a diet drink sweetened with Nutrasweet!
Someone told me once that it goes bad and I didn't believe them until I
tried it. Yuck!!!! :-D

And I'm not so sure mayonaise is in that group. I've always heard it's a
bad one for food poisoning... but I don't know for sure.

Another legend/myth/whatever-you-want-to-call-it that needs to be laid
to rest...

Mayo is so acidic that nothing will grow on/in it but mold, and that
only rarely/under extreme circumstances (leave it out on the counter
uncovered for a few days type of extreme). What's to blame for the food
poisonings involving mayo are the other ingredients that are with it...
Tuna salad, ferinstance, or tater-salad - Both of them cut the acidity
enough to allow every food-poisoning bug known to man to happily set up
housekeeping and raise a few bazillion offspring in a scary-short amount
of time.

It does "go bad" - In the form of turning rancid. The oil in it will
air-oxidize into "yuck", same as butter will, but that's just "tastes
horrible" gone bad, not "dangerous/make you sick" gone bad. You can slow
this problem by storing the mayo jar as tightly sealed as possible, then
keeping it upside down. You can slow it more by refrigerating it, but no
matter what you do (short of using it up too quick for the oxidization
to happen) an unsealed jar of mayo plus time equals nasty tasting glop
that might make you barf due to how bad it tastes, but won't do you any
actual harm.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.
Don Bruder

In article .net,
Edward Greeley wrote:

OK, Jeff, I LOOKED at a jar of Hellman's "REAL" Mayonaise that is in my
fridge which bears a "Best if used by" date of Oct 11 05. The label
plainly, clearly and specifically states: "REFRIGERATE AFTER OPENING".

The list of ingredients includes WHOLE EGGS and EGG YOLKS. Ain't NO WAY
I would use the stuff if it had been stored at room temp for any length
of time (say, more than a couple of hours max) 'cause I've had food
poisoning before and it's not a lot of fun.

See my other post. Straight mayo is innocent. Mayo *MIXED WITH OTHER
THINGS* is a whole different story. As the pepsi gal said, the acidity
is too high to permit bacterial growth.

Datapoint for you: my family has *NEVER* stored mayo cold. *EVER*

We've had three cases of food poisoning in the family during the 40
years I've been walking this earth. 2 were from home-canned stuff that
didn't "take" properly - verified by testing at the MSU lab after
"incidents". One case was botulism, from venison heart my grandmother
had canned. Testing showed that the entire batch was so loaded with the
bug that it should have killed us all (It didn't mainly because the
taste was "off" enough that nobody ate more than a couple bites before
sending the whole batch of stew to the garbage - Mom was the only one
who got sick.) The other was, of all things, a batch of mom-canned peas
that showed ptomaine when tested, and made me sicker than sick for most
of a week. The third was (strongly suspected, but never formally
verified) spaghetti sauce from a long-since defunct italian restaurant
that put my mother in the hospital for several days.

We all eat mayo like it's going out of style. And after each use, the
jar either sits on the kitchen counter or gets tucked back into the
pantry along with the dry and canned goods.

I can look through the doorway to my left, and see the two-quart jar of
Best Foods (AKA "Hellmann's" east of the Rockies) Mayo is sitting where
I left it on the counter the other day while making egg salad. It is,
and will remain, just fine indefinitely, and I'll use it until it either
goes rancid (At least months, if not more than a year), or the jar is
empty, whichever comes first, and I'll have absolutely no hesitation
about doing so. Same as I've done for the last 40 years without incident.

The "refrigerate after opening" is specifically aimed at slowing down
the air-oxidization that turns mayo, butter, and several types of
cooking oil rancid. It has nothing whatsoever to do with preventing food
poisoning.

--
Don Bruder - - New Email policy in effect as of Feb. 21, 2004.
See http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd/main/contact.html for full details.

Larry Jaques

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 11:13:42 -0400, the inscrutable Jeff Wisnia
spake:

I still believe it's not necessary to refrigerate Hellman's mayo after
opening for safety reasons, but only to keep it's taste longer.

Jeff

P.S. I just scanned the label on a bottle of Heinz 57 Ketchup (Which we
also keep in the fridge.) and unless my eyes are really shot, I can't
find anything about "Refrigerate after opening" on it either.

Trust me, having had bad catsup before, you do NOT want to take a
chance with it. Date it going into the fridge if you don't use it
very often. I think the one which got me was over 2 years old, and
since I'm single and didn't use it often, I didn't keep close enough
track of it. Damnear kilt me, it did. Projectilely and from both ends
at once. Oy vay!

--
"Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein
-=-=-
http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design
Jeff Wisnia

Larry Jaques wrote:

[...]

We DO keep both the mayo and ketchup in our fridge (But not the Skippy
peanut butter or the marshmallow fluff.)

An extra degree of protection can't hurt. I wasn't advising anyone to
keep opened mayo unrefrigerated, but the health risks of room
temperature mayo storage have been grossly overstated, to the point of
creating the myth that opened unrefrigerated mayo becomes poisonous in a
few hours.

I'd advise always removing whatever amount of mayo you're going to use
from the jar with a clean utensil, to avoid transferring in particles of
other food which could "go bad" even under refrigeration.

Though, the second Q&A on this page is pretty definite about it being
allright to keep opened mayo unrefrigerated, so I don't think I blew it
too badly by incliding mayo in my short list of some foods which "keep"
without refrigeration:

http://www.dressings-sauces.org/mayonnaise.html

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Robert Nichols

:
:The list of ingredients includes WHOLE EGGS and EGG YOLKS. Ain't NO WAY
:I would use the stuff if it had been stored at room temp for any length
f time (say, more than a couple of hours max) 'cause I've had food
oisoning before and it's not a lot of fun.

You'd best stay away from restaurants and deli shops then. In those
places a jar of mayonnaise will get opened in the morning and sit out at
room temperature the whole day. And the health inspectors have no
problem with that, BTW.

The list of ingredients also includes vinegar, and the acidity of
commercially made mayonnaise is high enough to prevent the growth of
bacteria that cause food poisoning. The belief that commercial
mayonnaise is a likely source of food poisoning is one of those bits of
folk wisdom that just ain't so, like the once almost universal belief
that tomatoes were poisonous. Home-made mayonnaise, though -- now
that's an entirely different matter.

FWIW, the jar of Kraft mayonnaise in my fridge also has no mention of
refrigeration on the label. The only reason I keep it refrigerated is
because I use so little of it that a jar lasts a year or more. Let's
see, it says here, "Best if used by Feb 2004." Yup, still fine! Must
have been a good vintage.

--
Bob Nichols AT comcast.net I am "rnichols42"

Larry Jaques wrote:

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 04:41:45 GMT, the inscrutable Edward Greeley
spake:

OK, Jeff, I LOOKED at a jar of Hellman's "REAL" Mayonaise that is in my
fridge which bears a "Best if used by" date of Oct 11 05. The label
plainly, clearly and specifically states: "REFRIGERATE AFTER OPENING".

The list of ingredients includes WHOLE EGGS and EGG YOLKS. Ain't NO WAY
I would use the stuff if it had been stored at room temp for any length
of time (say, more than a couple of hours max) 'cause I've had food
poisoning before and it's not a lot of fun.

See my other post with the link. All eggs in today's mayo are
PASTEURIZED and safe.

--
"Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein
-=-=-
http://www.diversify.com Wondrous Website Design

That being said, they don't have in the eggs something that will poison you.
However, once it is hot or warm - and little joey opens the jar with his
playing with frogs hands or Sally with her hugging and kissing the dogs hands
one had enough of the local barn yard inside to brew a batch. In fact,
just spread some on bread - nice rich protein ready to grow something - .....

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

Tim Williams

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
Trust me, having had bad catsup before, you do NOT want to take a
chance with it.

Whoa, I didn't know that stuff could go bad ever! Did the vinegar evaporate
or something?

Tim

--
"California is the breakfast state: fruits, nuts and flakes."

Nick Hull

In article ,
Larry Jaques wrote:

On Fri, 03 Jun 2005 11:13:42 -0400, the inscrutable Jeff Wisnia
spake:

I still believe it's not necessary to refrigerate Hellman's mayo after
opening for safety reasons, but only to keep it's taste longer.

Jeff

P.S. I just scanned the label on a bottle of Heinz 57 Ketchup (Which we
also keep in the fridge.) and unless my eyes are really shot, I can't
find anything about "Refrigerate after opening" on it either.

Trust me, having had bad catsup before, you do NOT want to take a
chance with it. Date it going into the fridge if you don't use it
very often. I think the one which got me was over 2 years old, and
since I'm single and didn't use it often, I didn't keep close enough
track of it. Damnear kilt me, it did. Projectilely and from both ends
at once. Oy vay!

I have my doubts that ketchup caused your problem. I had a siniliar
problem shortly after eating some whole cherries I got out of the
freezer, and after weeks of searching discovered the problem was not the
cherries but instead the rice I ate at a mexican restaurant the day
before. (the restaurant went out of business within weeks).

--
Free men own guns, slaves don't
www.geocities.com/CapitolHill/5357/
Jeff Wisnia

Ron DeBlock wrote:

If the ambient temperature is below freezing, you can store soda cans for
only a few hours before they rupture. Last winter, my wife bought several
cases of soda in cans and a bunch of 2L plastic bottles, then left them in
her minivan overnight. What a mess! The 2L bottles didn't burst, but
they swelled to about 50% larger than normal.

FWIW when I (Can't blame everything on the kids now..) stick an unopened
can of Coke or Pepsi in the kitchen freezer to cool it down fast and
then forget it's there, it freezes and the ends bulge, but it doesn't
"blow up" until someone finds it, take it out and sets it on a counter.

The first time that happened we heard a noise from the kitchen about
twenty minutes later when the can ruptured and soda squirted all over
the place.

Someone else did the same thing a while later, with the same results.

After "a sample of two" we wised up, and if we find a forgotten frozen
can of soda we know now to stand it in an open cooking pot with a lid
over it and wait for it to erupt.

I asked the guys on the sci.physics newsgroup why it happened that way
and their concensus had something to do with saturation pressure of CO2
at different temperatures and the fact that when placed in the freezer
the contents freeze "from the outside in" but when it's removed they
start melting "from the outside in".

More than that I can't remember.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

jim rozen

In article , Jeff Wisnia says...

I asked the guys on the sci.physics newsgroup why it happened that way
and their concensus had something to do with saturation pressure of CO2
at different temperatures and the fact that when placed in the freezer
the contents freeze "from the outside in" but when it's removed they
start melting "from the outside in".

If you want to see some excitement, immerse an *open* can of
coke in liquid nitrogen.

Don't be looking down at the top of it when doing so however.

Jim

please reply to:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Last weekend I discovered a 12 pack carton of Pepsi I'd hidden behind
some other stuff in a kitchen cabinet so the kids wouldn't find it and
consume it all in minutes. When I went to remove it the carton was stuck
to the cabinet floor and when I opened it about half the cans felt far
lighter than they should and there was evidence of dried sugar on them
and the carton.

Looking at the can with a 10 power loupe I "thought" I could see a tiny
white spot where the bubbles were coming from.

One summer in college a bunch of cases of old soda intended for the
dorm soda machine were discovered in a storage closet and moved to the
top of a fridge to give away for general consumption.

At some point a day or two later I walked past and felt a tiny jet of
liquid on my face. With the sunlight at just the right angle, you
could see that many of the cans were squirting from pinholes like in
Jeff's picture - really, really tiny leaks with substantial pressure
behind them.

My guess is that the corrosion developed over time, but may have been
accelerated to the leak phase by the agitation of being moved. (Hmm, I
wonder if they went in a cart down the notorious cobblestone hallway -
the prefferred method of moving belongings between entries, traditional
done at 2am) Also the large number of samples and slow rate of leak
may have contributed to catching a few in the act of jetting.

Bob Engelhardt

Jeff Wisnia wrote: ...
What's the easternmost state in the USA?
See the ninth "fact" on this page:

http://www.marci.net/akfacts.htm

From that site: "Islands on the Aleutian Chain are on the other side of
the 180th meridian, putting them in the Eastern Hemisphere"

That's a peculiar definition of easternmost. Take a country that
straddles the 180th: it's western coast is more eastern than it's
eastern coast??? No, no, no. "Easternmost" is the border where you
stop when *traveling* eastward.

IMHO,
Bob