Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Last weekend I discovered a 12 pack carton of Pepsi I'd hidden behind
some other stuff in a kitchen cabinet so the kids wouldn't find it and
consume it all in minutes. When I went to remove it the carton was stuck
to the cabinet floor and when I opened it about half the cans felt far
lighter than they should and there was evidence of dried sugar on them
and the carton.

Looking at the can with a 10 power loupe I "thought" I could see a tiny
white spot where the bubbles were coming from.

One summer in college a bunch of cases of old soda intended for the
dorm soda machine were discovered in a storage closet and moved to the
top of a fridge to give away for general consumption.

At some point a day or two later I walked past and felt a tiny jet of
liquid on my face. With the sunlight at just the right angle, you
could see that many of the cans were squirting from pinholes like in
Jeff's picture - really, really tiny leaks with substantial pressure
behind them.

My guess is that the corrosion developed over time, but may have been
accelerated to the leak phase by the agitation of being moved. (Hmm, I
wonder if they went in a cart down the notorious cobblestone hallway -
the prefferred method of moving belongings between entries, traditional
done at 2am) Also the large number of samples and slow rate of leak
may have contributed to catching a few in the act of jetting.