Jeff Wisnia

DeepDiver wrote:
"Keith Marshall" wrote in message

"Jeff Wisnia" wrote in message

The first thisg she told me was that drinking the Pepsi from a can
which had leaked wouldn't kill me because the high acidity in the
product prevented the growth of bacteria.

It may not kill you, but....

So, I guess Pepsi is one of those "foods" like Honey and mayonaise
which can stand being "opened" and then stored at room temperature
without spoiling.

And I'm not so sure mayonaise is in that group. I've always heard
it's a bad one for food poisoning... but I don't know for sure.

It is (a bad one, that is).

You definitely DON'T want to be leaving mayonnaise out, even commercially
pasteurized mayonnaise. Warm mayonnaise is one of the leading causes of food
poisoning in the US during the summer months due to all the potato and egg
salads (and perhaps condiment bottles) that get left out in the hot sun
during picnics.

- Michael

You are entitled to your opinion Michael, and I'm sorry if you feel I'm
being a PIA about this but I try my best to be correct when I make
statements like that which I know some folks will feel must be wrong...

Take a look at the label on a jar of Hellman's mayo...

See any words like "Refrigerate after opening" anywhere on it?

Don't take my word for it, take Hellman's:

http://www.unilever800.com/hellmanns_faq/answer.asp?host=www.hellmanns.com&ID=3&Counter=1&W hen=6/3/2005

Note the word "indefinite" on that page...I don't think their lawyers
would let them say that if it wasn't true, 'eh?

It's the potatos, eggs and meats in those salads which "go bad", NOT the
mayo.

Jeff
--
Jeffry Wisnia