Jeff Wisnia

Edward Greeley wrote:
OK, Jeff, I LOOKED at a jar of Hellman's "REAL" Mayonaise that is in my
fridge which bears a "Best if used by" date of Oct 11 05. The label
plainly, clearly and specifically states: "REFRIGERATE AFTER OPENING".

The list of ingredients includes WHOLE EGGS and EGG YOLKS. Ain't NO WAY
I would use the stuff if it had been stored at room temp for any length
of time (say, more than a couple of hours max) 'cause I've had food
poisoning before and it's not a lot of fun.

Perhaps you are referring to Hellman's UNREAL (imitation) mayonaise? Or
something?

Ed Greeley

Damn, you're correct about the label Ed, I'll have to fall on my sword.

The jar of Hellman's REAL mayo in our fridge (Yes, that's where we keep
ours, because our mothers did it that way.) Does NOT have the
"Refigerate after opening" on it's label, but a brand new jar sitting in
the pantry DOES. Go figger...

I still believe it's not necessary to refrigerate Hellman's mayo after
opening for safety reasons, but only to keep it's taste longer.

Jeff

P.S. I just scanned the label on a bottle of Heinz 57 Ketchup (Which we
also keep in the fridge.) and unless my eyes are really shot, I can't
find anything about "Refrigerate after opening" on it either.

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)